Jack Quinn, Injured Again

Norcal

17 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Screenshot_20240128-214356.thumb.png.a92ced3632a469e6b0e9c1b2be2658ab.png

Taro- You're disagreeing with me when I'm asking a question? Seriously, what do we know?

You are correct, here, imo

All the “reactions” a poster receives get tabulated and recorded, obviously looking at one’s profile I think people generally take the big red X as a negative ala “I disagree.” It’s obvious what Taro meant but given that, again, it’s added to the rest of the total same as always, doesn’t make sense to dish out an X in that way.

I don’t know how much, if at all, people care about the Reactions but they are used a lot so I’d hazard to say at least somewhat 

• Like (+1) 1

No Quinn update yet, eh? 

green check for yes

red x for no 

Thumbs up for yes and it’s good news

thumbs down for yes and it’s bad news

Cup emoji for Quinn has been dealt for an even better player

crying emoji for Quinn has been dealt for an even worse player

vomit emoji if Quinn has lost his love of the game

eye-roll for me wasting your time 

Edited by Thorny
Edit - Shocked emoji if you feel I’m not very thorough
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, shrader said:

Yard stick

Metre stick for the extra 3.3701 inches.  

Trust me.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

No Quinn update yet, eh? 

green check for yes

red x for no 

Sent you beer since you are missing one.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

No Quinn update yet, eh? 

green check for yes

red x for no 

🙏

3 hours ago, Mr Peabody said:

There’s no sample size of VO playing for a better team.  We’ve had a number of players leave and improve their play under different systems.   I’m thinking the league looks at him and sees a cannon shot and weak points they can improve.  A third line with a couple of strong forwards who play D would be worth a shot. 

A player that refuses to play any kind of defense and one of the slowest players in the league who is one dimensional. I know Reinhart, Eichel and Montour caught fire after leaving but don’t think that will apply to our entire roster, essp Vic. 

1 hour ago, Two or less said:

A player that refuses to play any kind of defense and one of the slowest players in the league who is one dimensional. I know Reinhart, Eichel and Montour caught fire after leaving but don’t think that will apply to our entire roster, essp Vic. 

I'm not saying he is going to be worth much on the open market, but one of the slowest players in the league is just not true.

The NHL edge tracking site is up and there are two ways to measure him (or anyone else), I brought this up in another thread:

-In terms of 'pure speed' top speed hit, he is middle-of-the-pack on the Sabres.  Top speed not even close to Tuch or Zemgus (the top 2 on the team), but better/faster than Benson, Okposo, Greenway, Quinn, and most of the D-men.

-In terms of how fast he PLAYS, they have a metric that measures that also, how many times/how often a player has 'speed burts' where they go over 20mph for a few seconds.  Not just top speed, but how many times they use their speed.  VO Isn't good,  he is 'below average' on the team, but not at the bottom.

So in terms of pure skating speed, he is average on this team. In terms of how often he 'skates fast', below average but not at the bottom of the leage.   Put those 2 things together and you get an "OK" or "slightly below average" guy in terms of speed, but no where near one of the slowest in the league.

He has some problems and holes in his game. Lack of high end speed or 'fast play' is one of them, but its no where near being close to the bottom of the team, or the league.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Good news is that he will have a full offseason to prepare for next season 

bad luck with injuries for the kid.  I still have no doubt he is a "core" player for the Sabres 

hoping to see Kulich, been in a scoring slump since the WJC but rather see him than #71 

I'm almost there with you on this, and I wasn't before.  He had a 'decent' and 'encouraging' rookie year.  That was after he played great at the end of his stint in Rochester. Got hurt, came back off of a tough injury and immediately showed progress from last year...in a very small sample size playing at about a 25 goal, 60 point pace with 3rd line minutes.  That may not be enough to PROVE he is or should be a core player....but very little has been show to say he shouldn't.

• Like (+1) 1

With the Quinn injury, I think the Sabres need to target next year, as opposed to trading away assets for short term benefits for this season. Barring a 10 game win streak, I don’t see it. But I would give up vets not in long term plans. But not for draft picks. We need some talent close to emerging at the NHL level. 

Just now, Second Line Center said:

Sounds like a tightrope procedure imo.  Ankle maybe.  

You can say that again.

Just now, Second Line Center said:

Sounds like a tightrope procedure imo.  Ankle maybe.  

You can say that again.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not saying he is going to be worth much on the open market, but one of the slowest players in the league is just not true.

The NHL edge tracking site is up and there are two ways to measure him (or anyone else), I brought this up in another thread:

-In terms of 'pure speed' top speed hit, he is middle-of-the-pack on the Sabres.  Top speed not even close to Tuch or Zemgus (the top 2 on the team), but better/faster than Benson, Okposo, Greenway, Quinn, and most of the D-men.

-In terms of how fast he PLAYS, they have a metric that measures that also, how many times/how often a player has 'speed burts' where they go over 20mph for a few seconds.  Not just top speed, but how many times they use their speed.  VO Isn't good,  he is 'below average' on the team, but not at the bottom.

So in terms of pure skating speed, he is average on this team. In terms of how often he 'skates fast', below average but not at the bottom of the leage.   Put those 2 things together and you get an "OK" or "slightly below average" guy in terms of speed, but no where near one of the slowest in the league.

He has some problems and holes in his game. Lack of high end speed or 'fast play' is one of them, but its no where near being close to the bottom of the team, or the league.

Here is what i was going by-

19 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

Is it the same leg as the Achilles? 

yes

24 minutes ago, Two or less said:

So we are looking at the same data and just weighing it differently.  When someone says "one of the slowest in the league", I think there are 2 metrics 2 use. Overall top speed, he is near the middle of the leage.  In speed bursts, he is toward the bottom but not on the bottom.  I kinda average them together...and I 'average'  Bad speed burts (but not in the bottom 10%) with 'middling' top speed...and I get a combined 'below average', not 'one of the slowest in the league'.  

I respect your point, however.....that how OFTEN a player uses their speed might be more important that overall top speed.

Edited by mjd1001

45 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Shut him down for the year. No rush to bring him back the last two weeks of probably a dead season by that point. 

Might as well. Bring up Kulich first and then Rosen for some games. 

Dabble with one or two others to see what they can do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Two or less said:

yes

So we're not particularly fast. And we're not particularly tough/gritty. And our scoring isn't particularly impressive this year.

What kind of team is it we're trying to build exactly?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.