Jack Quinn, Injured Again

Norcal

So, what was the injury? 

Not the achilles and not the knee so, ankle? 

I'm not sure if there is anymore info out yet but I wonder what the actual injury was? 

I suppose we'll hear soon enough. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 10:42 PM, Porous Five Hole said:

I just watched the replay and before Quinn got up, he definitely looked at the heel of his left leg. I don’t know if it was his L or R Achilles that he was recovering from, but him doing that made me think he re-injured himself in the same spot. 

Left achilles

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

So, what was the injury? 

Not the achilles and not the knee so, ankle? 

I'm not sure if there is anymore info out yet but I wonder what the actual injury was? 

I suppose we'll hear soon enough. 

Given that there was surgery and an ~8 week timetable, I inferred that it was maybe a fibula fracture (but no tibia). 

Have our resident MD’s weighed in?

If it’s a lower leg/ankle fracture, that should be a clean, complete recovery.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Or they could shut the whole team down for the season and give all the AHL guys a shot for 2 months. It could be quite a story...

At this point Mine as well nothing else is working .

What's the worst that could  happen  We suck more. Or we start winning more.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

At this point Mine as well nothing else is working .

What's the worst that could  happen  We suck more. Or we start winning more.

Our last 11 games we're 7-4. We're playing okay at the moment, which is why losing Quinn really hurts.

34 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Given that there was surgery and an ~8 week timetable, I inferred that it was maybe a fibula fracture (but no tibia). 

Have our resident MD’s weighed in?

If it’s a lower leg/ankle fracture, that should be a clean, complete recovery.

I think that may very well be what it is, which is relatively good news in the big picture

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Time to start looking at who the top 10 are in the draft and sort by 'highly skilled undersized perimeter forward' so we can figure out who we're drafting.

That's not funny 

57 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Time to start looking at who the top 10 are in the draft and sort by 'highly skilled undersized perimeter forward' so we can figure out who we're drafting.

No, it's time to continue on our little run of 7-4 lately, and make a playoff push. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 weeks is about normal for a lot of things. Bone fractures are typically a 6-8 week time frame, but what was the surgery? Was it a minor procedure they dub "surgical" did they have to pin or plate the area. Could there have been a tendon/ligament issue that they threw a holding suture in place to allow it to heal in 8 weeks. 

The therm surgical is always tough to decipher, because even something as small as a local anasthtic and relatively superficial repair is still touted as surgery. 

In my opinion, it probably was a fracture of the ankle, a bimalleolar would be preferred to a trimalleolar (which includes the tibia) and those are always surgical to repair as the ankle is broken and dislocated and are very unstable until fixed. We don't see surgery for simple fibular fractures so my brain goes to a worse injury. 

• Thanks (+1) 6

23 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

We don't see surgery for simple fibular fractures so my brain goes to a worse injury. 

what about fibular fractures that are the result of a "high energy" (?) force and end up displaced?

i know nothing, but am not just pulling this out of my behind. one of my kids once had that happen - doc initially called it a grade A (weber?) but then it evolved to a grade B. or something. we'd hoped for a non-surgical healing but then the thing wound up showing as displaced. she may have returned to play a little sooner because she got hardware put in.

anyhoo. quinn's my favourite player on the team, so this is a bummer.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

what about fibular fractures that are the result of a "high energy" (?) force and end up displaced?

i know nothing, but am not just pulling this out of my behind. one of my kids once had that happen - doc initially called it a grade A (weber?) but then it evolved to a grade B. or something. we'd hoped for a non-surgical healing but then the thing wound up showing as displaced. she may have returned to play a little sooner because she got hardware put in.

anyhoo. quinn's my favourite player on the team, so this is a bummer.

It's different in kids because of growth plates. They grade them as salter-Harris fractures. Those are much more surgical than someone who has fully matured bones. 

Now, there are always caveats. Professional athletes and certain breaks require different care, it's all situational. The fact we heard nothing and then a surgical outcome means Jack should absolutley be shut down for the rest of the year. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It's different in kids because of growth plates. They grade them as salter-Harris fractures. Those are much more surgical than someone who has fully matured bones. 

Lol - I said "kid," but didn't mention she was 21 at the time, injured while playing college ball. I recall the doc saying "Weber B" and "unstable," for sure. [Homer voice] Stupid unstable Weber B. And I take your imparted lesson: These are all situational.

3 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

Why? If it's an 8 week injury it's an 8 week injury.

8 weeks doesn't mean it's fully healed, sure on an xray, but the surrounding ligaments, plus conditioning. Also the sabres aren't making the playoffs, so take the extra time, rehab, strengthen the surrounding muscles to take the stress of the already injured area and hit it hard next year. 

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Lol - I said "kid," but didn't mention she was 21 at the time, injured while playing college ball. I recall the doc saying "Weber B" and "unstable," for sure. [Homer voice] Stupid unstable Weber B. And I take your imparted lesson: These are all situational.

Ah, the ol "kid" phrase got me lol. We do know that Weber was unstable eh 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Guava said:

Why? If it's an 8 week injury it's an 8 week injury.

Because the Sabres will be out of the playoffs by then. You don't want to risk him injuring himself seriously again with less than ten games left. A whole summer to rehab himself and you have a new, completely healed Quinn.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

8 weeks doesn't mean it's fully healed, sure on an xray, but the surrounding ligaments, plus conditioning. Also the sabres aren't making the playoffs, so take the extra time, rehab, strengthen the surrounding muscles to take the stress of the already injured area and hit it hard next year. 

Ah, the ol "kid" phrase got me lol. We do know that Weber was unstable eh 😉

Meh, that might be at like 5 weeks...at 8 weeks that likely covers everything.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.