SABRES-BILLS MLK DAY EXTRAVAGANZA (1-15-2024) GDT: San Jose Sharks vs. Buffalo Sabres, 1200 ET/1100 CT (MSG/ESPN+/Radio) // Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Buffalo Bills, 1630 ET/1530 CT (CBS)

#freejame

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The biggest adjustment for players going from the NCAAs to the NHL is adjusting to the increased number of games, particularly with goalies. 
Proper development in the AHL would have put Him at 55-60 games 
Levi played 32 and 34 games respectively during His Two Seasons at Northeastern, getting only 35 games during His Rookie Season is a year of wasted development IMO. 

For all the angry words thrown around when Li'l J is in the press box - is it possible that DG is actually trying to load manage him as he goes from NCAA to NHL? Benson got more games in WHL so maybe they are thinking he can handle it?

Have the Goo playing loud in the garage and downing some drinks!  Let’s go Buffalo!!  Go Bills!!!  It’s playoff time baby!!!  This is what being a fan is all about!!  Go Bills!!!!  

Edited by GoPre
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I get that. I meant it was super easy and he really didn't have to work for it, that's all. It was a little karmic payback for the goal he missed a few seconds early.

Didn't work for it? He flattened a Shark to get the puck.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ska-T Chitown said:

For all the angry words thrown around when Li'l J is in the press box - is it possible that DG is actually trying to load manage him as he goes from NCAA to NHL? Benson got more games in WHL so maybe they are thinking he can handle it?

It’s possible, but Benson has been an effective 200 foot player in the NHL and there is a huge drop off in the experience players get in the NHL compared to the WHL. 

Contrast this to Levi, who has struggled most games in the NHL and has the option to go to the AHL, which has history has shown is the best place for young goalies 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Funnily enough, statistical prime nowadays is more so around 23 for forwards 

I hear that a lot but intuitively it doesn’t make sense. There’s not that many players who have experience at 23. This website has no real standing, but it says average debut age isn’t even until 24. 
https://icehockeycentral.com/how-old-are-professional-hockey-players-learn-the-age-range-of-elite-hockey-athletes/

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I’m not sure what we should do. What do you do if giving all of your core fair long term contracts will result in a team that sits in 26th place? They seem to all be “good” contracts yet the sum total result…not 

Not saying Mitts.... but GMKA needs to GM and use resources to build up this team in the areas they need (we have all made lists upon lists, so not doing that here).

Cannot run it back again next year. 

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The biggest adjustment for players going from the NCAAs to the NHL is adjusting to the increased number of games, particularly with goalies. 
Proper development in the AHL would have put Him at 55-60 games 
Levi played 32 and 34 games respectively during His Two Seasons at Northeastern, getting only 35 games during His Rookie Season is a year of wasted development IMO. 

Daniel Radcliffe GIF by Madman Films

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Guava said:

We've seen good stretches before. Can he start having more good stretches like this and less bad stretches like he has had? Typically it seems to be a 1:1 ration. We need to start seeing it become like 2:1 or 3:1 before I'd say he is making progress.

Save percentage is still only .906 for the year even with the shutout today. GAA looking pretty good at 2.77 tho.

Definitely improving from last year .892 and 3.61 but those are AHL goalie numbers to begin with. Now he is in fringe NHL starting goalie caliber numbers territory at least.

Need to see him replicate a season with the numbers he had from that 9 game stretch a few years ago where he had a .917 save percentage. Now that would be very solid.

Either way he has earned more playing time and Levi will have to be content with the odd game here and there until he shows a decline.

Agree entirely. I’m just hoping his last five games represent a turning point for him. His command in the crease has improved greatly over that span, imo.

8 hours ago, Weave said:

Wtf is with no radio coverage?  Was hoping to listen at work.  Nope.  WGR is doing Bills coverage.

Someone has probably already helped you with this, and this answer is WAY too late to be of any assistance today but hopefully it helps for the future, whenever the Bills and Sabres games conflict the Sabres get bounced to WKBW.  Listened to the postgame there driving back home to watch the Bills on TV.

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’m not sure what we should do. What do you do if giving all of your core fair long term contracts will result in a team that sits in 26th place? They seem to all be “good” contracts yet the sum total result…not 

we definitely don’t need to be trading for prospects. But draft, develop, sign LT isn’t working, either. Will keep saying it, the GM has to actually GM and build a team

It may be too late for this season.  I hope not, but it could be. 

But I feel like this team is turning a corner.

Suddenly UPL is 4-1-1 in his last six and is stringing good games together, even when they lose.  If that's true it will give Levi some time to round into form playing backup minutes.

I think someone said the Sabres need to take 2 out of 3 the rest of the way to have a shot.  UPL might be able to give them that.

I know SJS is a really bad team, but at the end of the game the Sabres were rolling effective lines, keeping the Sharks hemmed in and applying pressure.  Late last season they were doing that against all comers.  Maybe they're figuring it out again, this time before the All Star break.

I'm not saying they're on the right track, but they could be.

• Like (+1) 2

• SDS unpinned this topic
18 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

The lots are pretty full. I'm here now in lot 1. Not many private lots open. Either take the shuttle from the mall, or it's the ECC lot. 

I should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday because I was winning all day. My "secret spot" was not only plowed but I was able to find a spot. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.