GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Buffalo Sabres 4 pm MSG radio 550 am

bob_sauve28

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

1-2 on the massive homestand that was going to see us go on a miracle run and turn around the season.

SAME OLD *****

At least they were entertain..... 

But, at least they scored some goa....

But there was effort, somewhere right? 

Even in the waning minutes, I saw KO on the ice with the goalie pulled and still not a soul in front of Demko. 

Bench the while team at this point, call up some hungry ECHL players. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Take five minutes to get a competent front office and President of Hockey Operations, then Terry can go back to counting his shekels, taking power naps, and disappearing into the background like he's so fond of doing. Problem solved. 

Isn't that what everyone wants? The ideal owner picks good people and allows them to do their jobs and they do them well. The ideal owner should disappear into the background. You make it sound like that's a bad thing when it would be exactly what we should be seeing. Would you prefer a Jerry Jones type of owner?

1 minute ago, irregularly irregular said:

Isn't that what everyone wants? The ideal owner picks good people and allows them to do their jobs and they do them well. The ideal owner should disappear into the background. You make it sound like that's a bad thing when it would be exactly what we should be seeing. Would you prefer a Jerry Jones type of owner?

No, I don't want a meddling owner but I do want an engaged owner who at least seems like he gives a sh*t about his franchise. You obviously missed the point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, irregularly irregular said:

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

No, I don't want a meddling owner but I do want an engaged owner who at least seems like he gives a sh*t about his franchise. You obviously missed the point.

Ya, I've got no problems with an emotional owner who wants to be sitting right up there with the GM and President or whatever they call whatever upper management. He can cheer a goal and yell at a penalty and it's great if he says "what the f's wrong with that guy?" when a player blows a play or even "whatever we pay that guy it's too much" BUT like any good CEO he needs to hire good people and let them do their jobs. The results on ice lead to their own reviews and if it's bad they get fired. 

Pegula is the new Harold Ballard. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, I've got no problems with an emotional owner who wants to be sitting right up there with the GM and President or whatever they call whatever upper management. He can cheer a goal and yell at a penalty and it's great if he says "what the f's wrong with that guy?" when a player blows a play or even "whatever we pay that guy it's too much" BUT like any good CEO he needs to hire good people and let them do their jobs. The results on ice lead to their own reviews and if it's bad they get fired. 

Pegula is the new Harold Ballard. 

The key difference is that both are/were incompetent but Pegula is a clueless simpleton whereas Ballard was a sick and detestable human being with no redeeming value whatsoever. Sadly he is not currently burning in Hell for eternity as even Satan has standards for admission.

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The key difference is that both are/were incompetent but Pegula is a clueless simpleton whereas Ballard was a sick and detestable human being with no redeeming value whatsoever. Sadly he is not currently burning in Hell for eternity as even Satan has standards for admission.

I don't know enough about Pegula to know if he's sick and detestable or not. Maybe if he'd kept LaFontaine around as his King Clancy we'd be on to something? Simpleton? I doubt that, but he definitely doesn't understand hockey. 

Hey, for all I know it's god's punishment for all the frakking. 

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't know enough about Pegula to know if he's sick and detestable or not. Maybe if he'd kept LaFontaine around as his King Clancy we'd be on to something? Simpleton? I doubt that, but he definitely doesn't understand hockey. 

Hey, for all I know it's god's punishment for all the frakking. 

Just to make things clear as I sense some people did not understand what I said:

While Pegula is a simpleton who constantly does stupid things and gets conned like a mark at the county fair on a regular basis he is not evil, he is simply very foolish.

Ballard is one of the most horrible people in the history of hockey (Google "Maple Leaf Gardens Pedophile Ring" which he essentially turned a blind eye to, and that's just the tip of the iceberg).

I checked The Buffalo News online edition today and there was absolutely no mention of yesterday's Sabres-Canucks game anywhere on the front page. It was as if it never even happened. There was, however, a story about "KenmoreGI-Port shuts out Williamsville" in HS hockey.

Are the Sabres becoming irrelevant to the Buffalo News? It seems that way. I just get a strange feeling the Sabres are being phased out. I would not be surprised if in five years, it's only the Bills in Buffalo. 

Edited by Quint

so we lost to Seattle and Vancouver...both are playing veyr well yet we stayed close and played well. Clearly if we had any sort of power play (where most other teams including us last year get lots of goals) we'd have won many games we have lost. being without our top scorer (even though many like to douch Skinner) did not help either but over all I thought we played very well. 

• Eyeroll 1

Buffalo News is a horrible paper with the actual print copies coming out of Cleveland. Sports is delayed a day. Plus it's a left wing propaganda lecture on everything. Junior NY Times. Can't equate actual importance of Bills or Sabres based on their coverage which is stuck in the 1960s. Buffalo News is almost extinct. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

At least they were entertain..... 

But, at least they scored some goa....

But there was effort, somewhere right? 

Even in the waning minutes, I saw KO on the ice with the goalie pulled and still not a soul in front of Demko. 

Bench the while team at this point, call up some hungry ECHL players. 

There was rarely anyone in the slot. I want the entire coaching staff fired. 

35 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Buffalo News is a horrible paper with the actual print copies coming out of Cleveland. Sports is delayed a day. Plus it's a left wing propaganda lecture on everything. Junior NY Times. Can't equate actual importance of Bills or Sabres based on their coverage which is stuck in the 1960s. Buffalo News is almost extinct. 

This is a political post and has no place here. 

8 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Its a middle ground. You don't want an owner watch a junior game and fall in love with a guy and tell the GM to draft him...or have him watch one series and see a middling guy play great and demand he get signed (Leino).  On the other hand you don't want him/her to be totally absent.

I'd think as an owner, I'd want every single major decision to be run by me...I'd want to sit in on the pre-draft meetings. But at the end of the day, my management is telling me what they are doing and WHY they are doing it before they do it....but the owner has to know that those guys know SO much more about hockey than he does....so its more being 'informed' of decisions and having them all explained to him instead of him over-riding them. Maybe the owner can be involved, or even make a decision as to when to 'rebuild' vs 'reload' for an aging team, but other than that, not so much direct involvement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Linus played well but Demko was better... he's been lights out... still Sabres need guys to drive the net even at risk of goaltender interference... only way you get a guy like thst off his game... plus need another shooter like Tage but with more go to the net moxie... in this case they miss skinner on that line... Nucks doubled teamed Tage all night long and kept Tuch on the outside... might consider moving Peterka to TT line with Tage out or Quinn as an idea and flipping Tuch

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

1-2 on the massive homestand that was going to see us go on a miracle run and turn around the season.

SAME OLD *****

I know your shtick is to bitch and moan, but it should be noted that both teams are much better than the Sabres are.

Vancouver has the NHL’s best record. Seattle has won nine in a row. 

San Jose, Chicago & Tampa are all very winnable games.  

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 1

Btw.  Shame on Kevyn Adams for  constructing  a roster that needs a 36(?) year old EJ to go out and fight Miller    

im glad they started to target Quinn   Hughes.   That's the kind of passion they need to bring every game  BUT they won't 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Wouldn't Markstrom make perfect sense with the Sabres ???  So much that it will never happen 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Btw.  Shame on Kevyn Adams for  constructing  a roster that needs a 36(?) year old EJ to go out and fight Miller  

I had the same thought.  EJ had to be thinking, I’m too old for this *****.

We really need someone designated to respond when our skill players inevitably get taken advantage of.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I know your shtick is to bitch and moan, but it should be noted that both teams are much better than the Sabres are.

Vancouver has the NHL’s best record. Seattle has won nine in a row. 

San Jose, Chicago & Tampa are all very winnable games.  

Team is 7th bottom in the league.

Almost everyone on the roster has seen their play fall off a cliff.

The coach and his staff are completely in over their heads with no answers and have their jobs because the organization has no standards and refuses to hire actual pros with track records of success.

The GM who was the most comically unqualified GM hire since noted lunatic Charles Wang made his backup goalie Garf his new GM failed miserably this offseason and was fine with putting all his chips on a college goalie with 7 NHL games despite anyone with an above room temperature IQ knowing it would end in disaster.

13 in a row is all but a lock and it's painfully obvious nothing is going to change.

This is the most incompetent failure of an organization in the modern era of the sport so yes, I think "bitching and moaning" about this isn't "shtick",  it's a response to a situation that is completely unacceptable and needs to change.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Another Buffalo Sabres loss. The bottom line is this Sabres core of Jack, Samson, Risto aren't good enough. In the offseason the Sabres need a major block buster trade like when the Sabres moved................................

Did I make my point?

It's the coaching, and the team culture that comes from that coaching failure and the lack of leadership along with that. 

It's not enough. It won't change much if anything. 

Bring Gallant in anyhow (if he would sign here) I want it and I would bet, things would change here. Talent is there, just completely poorly coached.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, eman said:

Bring Gallant in anyhow (if he would sign here) I want it and I would bet, things would change here. Talent is there, just completely poorly coached.

I was one of the only people here (and took much flack for it) who wanted Torts before Philly got him but I'd be happy with Gallant since he's available now. idk if Gallant would want the job but I think we need to commit to an experienced proven hockey guy and give him the power. Five year contract and player movement influence. Let him dissect the team and then rebuild it as necessary.

Myself, if I was owner, I would hire a senior advisor like Rick Dudley (for Sabres ties) and let him hire an experienced GM and coach who have the proper mindset and motivation. Someone like that who knows the game and the people far better than we do. and definitely better than Pegula does. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.