Rasmus Dahlin is selected to the All Star Game

Brawndo

17 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

One would figure he should know how, already. 

He was a hard working 4th line type of player, when he played. He was on a cup winning team. Out of all the GMs previous during the last 12 years, he should theoretically have the most knowledge when it comes to building a team. 

That Carolina team was balanced top to bottom. They added key players at the trade deadline. Was there a little luck involved? Yes. Cam Ward was unbelievable during those playoffs. Im sure even they had no clue he'd be that good. I think they benched Gerber at some point, too. 

Add in some awful injury luck for the Sabres as well. 

The point still stands, that formula still applies. Even today. What is Adams doing? Not enough. 

And he doesn't seem to realize it. Shame 

Fair but can we talk about Dahlin's play?
KA added Clifton and EJ on the blue line and they have been as advertised / expected. Very nice compliments. (toughness, physical, and veteran leadership)
Dahlin has been a huge disappointment.  He is the single biggest problem on the team.  I don't know what the solution is, unfortunately it's looking like he's Risto-esque.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

KA added Clifton and EJ on the blue line and they have been as advertised / expected. Very nice compliments. (toughness, physical, and veteran leadership)
Dahlin has been a huge disappointment.  He is the single biggest problem on the team.  I don't know what the solution is, unfortunately it's looking like he's Risto-esque.

I think it's far too soon to say that. Besides, Dahlin is 10x better offensively/defensively than Ristolainen could ever be. 

Or do you mean he is simply going to request a trade soon? 

Agreed on Clifton and Erik Johnson. They're doing what they're suppose to do 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

I think it's far too soon to say that. Besides, Dahlin is 10x better offensively/defensively than Ristolainen could ever be. 

Or do you mean he is simply going to request a trade soon? 

Agreed on Clifton and Erik Johnson. They're doing what they're suppose to do 

I mean he's just not figuring it out/maturing into playing a smart, clean defensive game. Like Risto there's some good plays (risto physical, dahlin skating/stick skills) but in the end the mistakes are big and compounding and cost the team the victory on a lot of nights.  I still have some hope he'll figure it out, but it's predominantly his fault they will miss the playoffs this season.  25 minutes a night, and -16, of course you can't win.

• Eyeroll 2

Dahlin will be fine; he's presently playing 25min + a night with a defensively suspect system. Part of the issue he's had this year can be summed up as a combination being banged up and getting angry at their general "success." After all he's the one who penned a letter to the fans and yet the team still looked bad. If you can't rely on your teammates to do what they are supposed to do; it can certainly create further exhaustion as well as building agitation. 

The Beniers goal sums it up nicely, Dahlin and Power are on the ice over a minute and are winded. Power flips the puck to no one in particular and its caught by the Kraken player. Meanwhile Dahlin is pivoting back to cover the center lane since Power and I believe Greenway are on the bottom part of the screen with two Kraken. Before Dahlin has even finished his loop, which naturally gets wider the more tired you become, the Kraken are racing in with 3 with speed, Power is tired in the bottom corner, Greenway is more or less flat footed but forces the play away from the center lane. Now a healthy/fresh Dahlin can cut that angle off when Beniers gets the puck but in his present condition he can't quite get there fully but can still shove his lane wide. However Beniers shoots and scores a goal Levi should of had and Dahlin's anger with his teammates and himself immediately show up as he smashes his stick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Dahlin will be fine; he's presently playing 25min + a night with a defensively suspect system. Part of the issue he's had this year can be summed up as a combination being banged up and getting angry at their general "success." After all he's the one who penned a letter to the fans and yet the team still looked bad. If you can't rely on your teammates to do what they are supposed to do; it can certainly create further exhaustion as well as building agitation. 

The Beniers goal sums it up nicely, Dahlin and Power are on the ice over a minute and are winded. Power flips the puck to no one in particular and its caught by the Kraken player. Meanwhile Dahlin is pivoting back to cover the center lane since Power and I believe Greenway are on the bottom part of the screen with two Kraken. Before Dahlin has even finished his loop, which naturally gets wider the more tired you become, the Kraken are racing in with 3 with speed, Power is tired in the bottom corner, Greenway is more or less flat footed but forces the play away from the center lane. Now a healthy/fresh Dahlin can cut that angle off when Beniers gets the puck but in his present condition he can't quite get there fully but can still shove his lane wide. However Beniers shoots and scores a goal Levi should of had and Dahlin's anger with his teammates and himself immediately show up as he smashes his stick. 

Good stuff.  But he's -16 and every other d-man in the same system is even or +.  And night after night there's boneheaded plays off his stick.  He's supposed to be the opposite, like the Quinn Hughes is doing right now.  Do we need to whip out the P word again?  

33 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Good stuff.  But he's -16 and every other d-man in the same system is even or +.  And night after night there's boneheaded plays off his stick.  He's supposed to be the opposite, like the Quinn Hughes is doing right now.  Do we need to whip out the P word again?  

“Generational” doesn’t start with a P.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

He's a positive in terms of multiple other analytics which would lead me to believe its more bad luck + ice time than him being bad. Though I definitely think he's having a rougher year than last year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I feel like conversations are started every year about Dahlin.

At the end of the day he's just not on par with other Superstar players in the league. 

I don't know why, since he has all the talent and we've all seen him perform at a high level.

It's frustrating for him I'm sure because it's frustrating to watch. 

Raise your hand if you think Dahlin moving to another team wouldn't result in an immediate change in his statistics and he'd be considered one of the best in the league.

He's one of the most talented players and a leader on a team that is crapping the bed right now.  He might just be pushing a little too hard and trying to play outside his game in an effort to help the team succeed.  It's clearly not working, but while numbers tell you what's happening on the ice they don't tell you what's happening in someone's head.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Raise your hand if you think Dahlin moving to another team wouldn't result in an immediate change in his statistics and he'd be considered one of the best in the league.

He's one of the most talented players and a leader on a team that is crapping the bed right now.  He might just be pushing a little too hard and trying to play outside his game in an effort to help the team succeed.  It's clearly not working, but while numbers tell you what's happening on the ice they don't tell you what's happening in someone's head.

I agree. I posted this elsewhere, but here are the factors I think are against him right now.

-25 minutes of ice time per game, some games 28-29 minutes AND he is playing behind what is likely a much worse group of forwards in terms of defending in their own end than any other star Defensemen. Basically, He is being worn downy physically AND mentally by the minutes and the quality of help he is getting.

-Frustration, he has the big contract, viewed by many as the teams best player, he is trying to do too much.  The goal he was on the ice for the other night, he was WAY too aggressive trying to make a play in the neutral zone...didn't get there in time, the puck went into the Sabres zone and a goal was scored.  He is frustrated by the teams failures AND he is trying to do too much and that is causing other problems.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dahlin has improved his shot since his rookie year. I think he was recorded at 102.5 mph at the ASG last year. In his first years with the Sabres, it was a muffin.    I can only hope Power's shot improves too. 

That said, the Sabres need to get away from an overabundance of finesse players, especially on D. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/10/2024 at 5:05 PM, Getpucksdeep said:

Congrats! You win the most uninformed hockey analysis. 

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.