Could the Sabres be even younger next year? Projected Roster for 2024-25.

GASabresIUFAN

Capfriendly lists our team’s average age as 25.5.  Nearly all the Sabres UFAs are among the oldest players on the roster. In fact, the only Sabre under contract older than 28 is Skinner who is currently 31. Clifton is currently 28.

Here are the Sabres UFAs (current age) Okposo 35, Eric Johnson 35, Olofsson 28, Girgensons 29, Robinson 28, and Comrie 28. I’m not expecting any of them back.

Here are possible internal replacements (age next season) : Kulich 20, Novikov 21, Rosen 21, Savoie 20, and Rousek 25.

RFA’s who may not return (age next season) Krebs 23, Jokiharju 25, and UPL 25. Honestly, I don’t want any of them back either, but I expect at least Krebs to return.

Given KA’s stubborn adherence to his “plan,” here is what the team might look like.

Forwards:
Skinner TNT Tuch

Benson Cozens Quinn

JJP Mitts Rosen

Rousek Krebs Greenway

Defense:
Dahlin Samuelsson

Power Ryan Johnson

Novikov Clifton

Goalies:
Levi, UPL 

Anybody think this roster has a snowballs chance in hell of making the playoffs?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Capfriendly lists our team’s average age as 25.5.  Nearly all the Sabres UFAs are among the oldest players on the roster. In fact, the only Sabre under contract older than 28 is Skinner who is currently 31. Clifton is currently 28.

Here are the Sabres UFAs (current age) Okposo 35, Eric Johnson 35, Olofsson 28, Girgensons 29, Robinson 28, and Comrie 28. I’m not expecting any of them back.

Here are possible internal replacements (age next season) : Kulich 20, Novikov 21, Rosen 21, Savoie 20, and Rousek 25.

RFA’s who may not return (age next season) Krebs 23, Jokiharju 25, and UPL 25. Honestly, I don’t want any of them back either, but I expect at least Krebs to return.

Given KA’s stubborn adherence to his “plan,” here is what the team might look like.

Forwards:
Skinner TNT Tuch

Benson Cozens Quinn

JJP Mitts Rosen

Rousek Krebs Greenway

Defense:
Dahlin Samuelsson

Power Ryan Johnson

Novikov Clifton

Goalies:
Levi, UPL 

Anybody think this roster has a snowballs chance in hell of making the playoffs?

Not sure if you've noticed, but there is a definite chemistry between Quinn and JJP.  I don't think you separate them; you just need to get a center between them that doesn't mess up the chemistry.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Nope. About 1/3 of that roster should be in Rochester learning to win and getting an AHL championship. 

25 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Something tells me Okposo will be back. Embarrassingly, he has shown more signs of life than most of the kids this year. 

This, as absurd as it would be, would not shock me.

It would also make me watch less Sabres hockey next year. I'm browsing other teams already. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Forwards:
Skinner TNT Tuch

Benson Cozens Quinn

JJP Mitts Rosen

Rousek Krebs Greenway

Defense:
Dahlin Samuelsson

Power Ryan Johnson

Novikov Clifton

Goalies:
Levi, UPL 

Eric Johnson will be back 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Here is what should happen with this roster if our GM is truly serious about winning.

Forwards

Benson TNT Tuch

JJP Cozens Quinn

Mitts ???? Skinner

????  ???? Greenway

Defense

Dahlin ????

Power Ryan Johnson

Mule Clifton

Goalies

Levi Veteran??

I think there are 5 slots that should be filled with outside talent:  Veteran Goalie, 3rd line center, 4th line center, a 4th line winger, and a top 4 D.

Admittedly bringing in that many established players would probably blow KA’s budget.  In addition, at least one of top 3 forward prospects will make the team.  It will be easier to incorporate one of the kids by moving Mitts to center and opening a winger slot for the rookie. I can see at least one of the 3 top forwards prospects being included in a trade to get a top 4 D.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why wait?  Shake up the locker room.  Trading the Captain is a great place to start.

Sure, but I suspect the timing/market isn't right. Johnson definitely and Okposo maybe are deadline type players for cup run teams. D depth is always a deadline concern for teams so a veteran cup winner, easy deal unless you're greedy. Okposo has a little grit so the right fit if the salary works. Maybe the Islanders would want him back? He'd be a fit on what they have and do. 

I'd also trade Girgs and Olofsson, all the UFAs but I doubt there'd be much interest in them. 

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is what should happen with this roster if our GM is truly serious about winning.

Forwards

Benson TNT Tuch

JJP Cozens Quinn

Mitts ???? Skinner

????  ???? Greenway

Defense

Dahlin ????

Power Ryan Johnson

Mule Clifton

Goalies

Levi Veteran??

I think there are 5 slots that should be filled with outside talent:  Veteran Goalie, 3rd line center, 4th line center, a 4th line winger, and a top 4 D.

Admittedly bringing in that many established players would probably blow KA’s budget.  In addition, at least one of top 3 forward prospects will make the team.  It will be easier to incorporate one of the kids by moving Mitts to center and opening a winger slot for the rookie. I can see at least one of the 3 top forwards prospects being included in a trade to get a top 4 D.

I'm bullish on Samuelsson... The team itself isn't working at the moment. But I may just be falling into the KA mindset there...

I think he might work better in another pairing, Dahlin is more of the modern offensive defenseman style, and they aren't working too well together. Or maybe it's just the team being dysfunctional in general, but in the end I don't think Samuelsson himself is a dud.

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

GMKA is like the guy from Dazed and Confused.

That’s what I like about hockey players. I get older, they stay the same age.

Lmao, A+ reference

Edited by lowsabre
elaboration

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Forwards:
Skinner TNT Tuch

Benson Cozens Quinn

JJP Mitts Rosen

Rousek Krebs Greenway

Defense:
Dahlin Samuelsson

Power Ryan Johnson

Novikov Clifton

Goalies:
Levi, UPL 

I think you will be a playoff team if 

1) move Greenway to the 3rd line in place of Rosen.   Hopefully Rosen, Kulich and Savoie are close enough to fill in for injuries in the top 9

2) bring in 2 4th line wingers who play fast and bring a relentless forecheck. Don't need them to score much.  Just need the opposing dmen to be wary when they are out there cause they know they are gonna hit

3) a legit top 4 dman to pair with Dahlin. Not easy to find but if anyone can make a trade happen, it's the Sabres.  Picks, prospects and cap space 

4) MOST IMMPORTANLY -  hire Brind'amour or Copper and replace the entire coaching staff 

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The right coach could make this team instantly competitive. If we run it back, next year is year 14. 

No doubt in my mind that with Brind'Amour at the helm of this team, we are 10 points above where they are today 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I think you will be a playoff team if 

1) move Greenway to the 3rd line in place of Rosen.   Hopefully Rosen, Kulich and Savoie are close enough to fill in for injuries in the top 9

2) bring in 2 4th line wingers who play fast and bring a relentless forecheck. Don't need them to score much.  Just need the opposing dmen to be wary when they are out there cause they know they are gonna hit

3) a legit top 4 dman to pair with Dahlin. Not easy to find but if anyone can make a trade happen, it's the Sabres.  Picks, prospects and cap space 

4) MOST IMMPORTANLY -  hire Brind'amour or Copper and replace the entire coaching staff 

No doubt in my mind that with Brind'Amour at the helm of this team, we are 10 points above where they are today 

Why not do 4 and let them handle 1, 2 and 3.  

A big name coach worth his salt will want roster control. Which might be why we don’t ever hire one.  

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Why not do 4 and let them handle 1, 2 and 3.  

A big name coach worth his salt will want roster control. Which might be why we don’t ever hire one.  

But Pegs and his GMKA.... 

image.thumb.png.5357ded34374a570ff3d724adeb3a671.png

GMKA                                                 Pegs

How much for a coach?

Pegs:  I already got one for 1 MILLION Dollars!

• Haha (+1) 3

Someone on CapFriendly offered us Couture at 2mil retained for Greenway and Jokiharju.

Franky if he looks fine when he returns from his injury he'd be a guy who could check some boxes for a solid 2 way center with experience who can still play. Emphasis on his return this year being a caveat.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

With who? What players that isn’t washed up or a scrub WANTS to play for the Sabres?

Edited by Sidc3000

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Someone on CapFriendly offered us Couture at 2mil retained for Greenway and Jokiharju.

Franky if he looks fine when he returns from his injury he'd be a guy who could check some boxes for a solid 2 way center with experience who can still play. Emphasis on his return this year being a caveat.

Couture is 34.  How is he better at 35 than Mitts or Cozens?   He won't be.  

Greenway is not a guy I trade when I am looking to improve the size and grit factor on this team. 

We have a load of talented forwards, more than we can absorb, that we could package for vets in their prime.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.