GDT: Leafs @ Sabres - Thu. 7 pm ET, Dec 21, 2023, MSG-B 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Personally, don't recall being in the building when the team literally was booed off the ice each period that vociferously and the final 5 minutes+ of the game had chants for the head of the coach when it was a coach the players WANT to play for and when the team was supposed to be winning (or at least trying to do so).

It was surreal.  And at play stoppages, the audio crew had music blasting to try drown out the chants there at the end.

Question of degree. The fire coach was more specific than usual but they've been booed at home before. The fan patience for this coach has worn out. It's obvious the players like him, but maybe that's part of the problem. The whole atmosphere is a little too soft. 

If it woke them up for real, great, but I'm skeptical. 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Question of degree. The fire coach was more specific than usual but they've been booed at home before. The fan patience for this coach has worn out. It's obvious the players like him, but maybe that's part of the problem. The whole atmosphere is a little too soft. 

If it woke them up for real, great, but I'm skeptical. 

They HAVE been booed before.  For a moment or 2 in game or as they skate off the ice at the end of a period.  This SEEMED different.  This was a significant portion of the fans joining in and this did not let up in the 3rd.  A' t'all.

Will it turn out to have been different/ resulted in a different effect?  We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

What you say is valid, but also, how many times has this already happened in the past? This isn't the first season where Dahlin has heard those "crazy" boos. How many wake up calls does he need? How much growing up does he need? That sort of comment might fit for a guy like Benson. Maybe even a Peterka or a Quinn but this isn't the first time for most of this crew. 

It sounds hollow to me and sounds similar to white privilege/Karen complaints in society. Sure, the fans are "crazy". 

When I was younger I lived in West Germany for a period of time. 

I had friends from Germany, Holland, and France  - all at least bilingual many spoke 3 or even 4 languages.  This was mid -80's,  they used to say the word "crazy" all the time.  Not to mean crazy like a mental condition, but to mean unusual/ fantastic/ surreal/ indescribable/ ...  

Crazy is a catch phrase for some.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I’m failing to identify a worse sports organization…..

Colorado Rockies, literally bribed the Cardinals to take their best player. 

Detroit Pistons are on a 25 game losing streak.

Oakland As are getting moved after 20 years of getting cheaper every year.

The NY Jets have just as long of a playoff drought as well as a literal loon at QB. 

Arizona Coyotes who lack a legit stadium and have multiple times got into hot water over not paying staff and/or players.

Pittsburgh Pirates are just too cheap to get anywhere.

The Indianapolis Colts owner is literally bonkers

The KC Royals have the worst record in baseball since 2007 and have been terrible in all but 2 years in which they won and lost a World Series strangely enough. Also super cheap ownership.

I could probably think of more but I’m tired of listing already. And that doesn’t even include European franchises.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The NY Jets have just as long of a playoff drought as well as a literal loon at QB. 

Arizona Coyotes who lack a legit stadium and have multiple times got into hot water over not paying staff and/or players.

The KC Royals have the worst record in baseball since 2007 and have been terrible in all but 2 years in which they won and lost a World Series strangely enough. Also super cheap ownership.

I could probably think of more but I’m tired of listing already. And that doesn’t even include European franchises.

Washington Wizards.

• Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

THIRTEEN ***** YEARS WITHOUT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS IN A LEAGUE WHERE HALF THE TEAMS QUALIFY.

We are the undisputed toilet of American/Canadian sports. Anyone arguing this is just lying to themselves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 3

4 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

What a terrible take.

Dude is an idiot.  And fat.

He always has been, he used to co-host a radio/tv sports show every night with another guy in Canada called 'Tim & Sid'

Then he left to go be on CityTV's morning show as one  of the co-host and usually has strong opinions about things.....

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

He always has been, he used to co-host a radio/tv sports show every night with another guy in Canada called 'Tim & Sid'

Then he left to go be on CityTV's morning show as one  of the co-host and usually has strong opinions about things.....

I love how the guy says he wants to keep things light for the holidays and then proceeds to go on a diatribe against Buffalo.

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

None of which currently equal our level of futility, no?

I think a very good argument can be made that we can equal all of these.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You should get out more.

You should define your argument.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Worst is pretty vague. I can give you a multitude of scenarios of a franchise being worse with a shorter playoff drought, yet still be worse. But if that is your only figure of merit - then it is the NY Jets.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Effectively we don't have penny pinching owners who immediately trade away anyone wanting money.

We are very likely secure in Buffalo

Management varies in competence from person to person and year to year

The Sabres are inept and feel cursed but are far from the "worst" franchise in sports. 

If its based on Playoffs, we are tied with the Jets barring a miracle run this season.

If its based on Championships, we aren't even in the first page of more embarrassing droughts.

There isn't a team in sports who haven't had low points and some baseball teams can go decades with little to no success.

I'd honestly argue the LA Angels are more inept seeing as they had two of the best baseball players in the league and failed to do anything with them whatsoever. The Angels are at 9 years of futility but unlike us had two literal super players on their roster for half that time and one the entire tenure.  

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I like the copium of trying to find worse franchises.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.