It Is Time: Fire the GM, the Coaching Staff, get some experience in here. Fans deserve better!!!

Scottysabres

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Al always was a stick in the mud.

(Of course, he also had far fewer trips to the ER.)

Remember the episode where he got most eligible bachelor in Detroit and it went to his head 

Loved that show 

Watched it with my Mom 

On 8/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, Thorny said:

You often see teams have an ahead of schedule year before taking a quick step back, have mentioned this a few times before, you kinda see it a lot 

It factored into why I predicted playoffs in 22-23. If we make it this year, there’s no guarantee there’s not a stumbling block the following (not that I’d predict it outright)

Mostly I’m just hoping this PAST year wasn’t the ahead of schedule leaving us due for a potential step back this season 

Maybe this did happen 

Even w/o playoffs maybe that was the ahead of schedule year 

- - - 

It’s a big part of my thinking that jobs shouldn’t be lost if we miss this year ie have one abject failure. There should be somewhat of a reprieve - I’d give the management team another shot next year. 5 years seems fair and reasonable.

they still could claw in this year, and they’ve got another shot following 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If you pay Owen Power for future performance, pay Rod. Make him the highest paid coach in the NHL.

Pegula can not do any worse by this than his previous exploits .  He might as well invest in a coach and then get out of the way.  Like he did with McDermott.  

Now, can or will Adams get the players that Brind’Amour wants?  

So this is tough, we've been changing so much and still terrible. Will changing again actually jump start this franchise?! 

I guess we are underperforming so much that maybe it is time to start pulling the trigger on some of these coaches, maybe the assistants, maybe Granato. But Adams is on the clock, I don't foresee him making the changes to turn this ship around. 

What's telling is the players never talk about the coaching staff as helping them win games.   The Pitt game took KO to fire them up between periods, not Granato.

They come out flat most games, on their heels out of the gate.   That falls on the head coach to have them ready to play.   

A few more of these and it could get ugly fast.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Unless there is a prolonged losing streak… DG and KA aren’t going anywhere.

And I personally don’t want a coach here because they used to play for the Sabres. And I don’t want a player here because they’re from the area. Those are both lame reasons to hire/acquire someone IMO.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Agree 1

We are going to miss the playoffs for 13years....let that sink in. 

The odds of that happening are miniscule in a league where over 50 percent of the teams make it in. You don't even need to be that good to make it to the first round. 

Who knows what that could have done for this team in terms of growth if they made it in last year, sure they'd get bounced but maybe then the off-season would have been different for some of these players. 

KA sat on his hands and actively allowed this team to fall short, he followed that up by not addressing all the needs in the off season. You couple this with Granato bringing back the awful position and assistants and this is what you get. 

We suck at faceoffs, have minimal structure, can't score on the PP, have rookies everywhere and just look like an unprepared team.. 

So yeah, count me in the making a change bandwagon from the top down, let's gets some experience in here, some pedigree of winning, this is shittt

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

What's telling is the players never talk about the coaching staff as helping them win games.   The Pitt game took KO to fire them up between periods, not Granato.

They come out flat most games, on their heels out of the gate.   That falls on the head coach to have them ready to play.   

A few more of these and it could get ugly fast.   

The bolded is arguably the most frustrating part of this season to date.  

Ironically, the team coached by one of the coaches people talk about a lot around here has only scored the 1st goal in their game 4 times this year.  In fact, that team is one of only 6 that have scored the 1st goal of the game less often than the Sabres have.  (But they're 1 of 2 this year scoring 1st against the Sabres.)

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Wait till the season ends then evaluate. 

But if we’re firing him they better hire Peca.  

Michael is a great guy but no.  He has 1 year behind an NHL bench as an assistant.  Just no.  

Gallant is there.  Brind’Amour will be a possibility, he knows Adams.  There are other former coaches.   

NO MORE ROOKIE HEAD COACHES.  

• Like (+1) 6

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Michael is a great guy but no.  He has 1 year behind an NHL bench as an assistant.  Just no.  

Gallant is there.  Brind’Amour will be a possibility, he knows Adams.  There are other former coaches.   

NO MORE ROOKIE HEAD COACHES.  

THIS. A MILLION BILLION TIMES THIS.

22 minutes ago, sabremike said:

THIS. A MILLION BILLION TIMES THIS.

Beginning in the 2012–13 season, Peca was named head coach of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres of the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL), where he coached through the 2013–14 season. After the 2012–13 season, he was named OJHL Coach of the Year. In his two years of coaching, he had 66 wins in 108 regular season games. Michael Peca served as head coach of the Bantam Major Jr. Sabres in addition to his duties as general manager and director of hockey operations for the Buffalo Jr. Sabres. On February 10, 2021, Peca was hired by the Washington Capitals to be a player development coach working with the "taxi squad" players for the 2020–21 season. In 2021, he was hired by the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant coach with their American Hockey League affiliate, the Rochester Americans.  Peca was announced as an assistant coach with the Rangers on June 20, 2023, joining under new head coach Peter Laviolette.

Peca - 11 years of coaching 

On June 7, 2011, Brind'Amour was introduced by the Carolina Hurricanes as their assistant coach and development coach while retaining his role in developing the franchise's forwards while spending some time behind the bench in the NHL.  On May 8, 2018, Brind'Amour was hired as the Hurricanes' head coach. 

Brind'Amour - 7 years experience

Peca is ready.  

A statement/phrase that I read often related to the Sabres is: "If they don't dress (insert player name), the Sabres are not a serious franchise" or "If (insert player name) doesn't play, the Sabres are not a serious franchise". Typically this phrase is used when there is question about whether a young player (Benson, R. Johnson) might sit for a veteran who is not playing as well.  

Last night was the first time I teetered a bit in the direction of at least asking: are we a serious franchise? Though it was because of all the young players we dressed.

If you take the five rookies that dressed and replace them with healthy versions of Thompson, Quinn, Greenway, Jokiharju and UPL, the Sabres still might be the youngest team in the league. I am not blaming our rookies, as individuals or as a group, for what happened last night. In hindsight, though, it was a far from surprising outcome when you consider we took the youngest line-up in the league and made it younger and less experienced. I can't get myself to blame the coach for this.

Granato has clearly made this team far better than they were when he took over. He deserves credit for moving us to a point where we can actually be disappointed in the start to the season. I think if he does not get this season turned around, then it is very possible that he will be replaced in the off-season and the next step in the process will be hiring an experienced head coach with a playoff track-record. It's unfortunate though, that we don't have the experience or depth that is needed to say with a straight-face, this should be a playoff team. Last night's line-up was not the line-up of an NHL playoff team. Again, I can't blame the coach for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.