It Is Time: Fire the GM, the Coaching Staff, get some experience in here. Fans deserve better!!!

Scottysabres

22 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Beginning in the 2012–13 season, Peca was named head coach of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres of the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL), where he coached through the 2013–14 season. After the 2012–13 season, he was named OJHL Coach of the Year. In his two years of coaching, he had 66 wins in 108 regular season games. Michael Peca served as head coach of the Bantam Major Jr. Sabres in addition to his duties as general manager and director of hockey operations for the Buffalo Jr. Sabres. On February 10, 2021, Peca was hired by the Washington Capitals to be a player development coach working with the "taxi squad" players for the 2020–21 season. In 2021, he was hired by the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant coach with their American Hockey League affiliate, the Rochester Americans.  Peca was announced as an assistant coach with the Rangers on June 20, 2023, joining under new head coach Peter Laviolette.

Peca - 11 years of coaching 

On June 7, 2011, Brind'Amour was introduced by the Carolina Hurricanes as their assistant coach and development coach while retaining his role in developing the franchise's forwards while spending some time behind the bench in the NHL.  On May 8, 2018, Brind'Amour was hired as the Hurricanes' head coach. 

Brind'Amour - 7 years experience

Peca is ready.  

Peca is ready like Phil Housley was.  Some amateur level experience, some NHL assistant experience    

Brind’Amour has 7 years NHL assistant experience + 5 years as an NHL HC.  His teams were successful.   He already turned around a losing club.   He has an NHL track record. 

Using ALL of your own information Brind’Amour is miles ahead.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, steveoat87 said:

The Sabres looked slow, unmotivated and unprepared.  This is all coaching.  No effort, intense sloppiness and no hockey-sense. 

It took an Okposo between period appeal to trigger our comeback win against the Pens…

It could be KA, Granato and his coaches are losing the locker room…

All the kids were elite players on their road to the NHL… Elite players hate losing… and their GM and coaches have shown scant evidence they know how to coach and win consistently in the NHL…

KA stood pat in the offseason and he and Granato botched the preseason imo by failing to get his starting team prepared to win in the last several preseason games…

Even homers Harrington and Lysowski asked a couple pointed questions of DG last night…

• Thanks (+1) 2

I'm not saying Granato should get a free pass, nor am I saying he doesn't make game-day mistakes but who is out there that you will bring in who is going to be a lot better considering:

-Your best forward and top scorer (Thompson) is hurt

-arguably your 2nd best forward (Tuch) seems to be playing less than 100%, missing time both in preseason and the regular season

-Cozens, your 4th best scorer last year, is playing hurt and not impacting games much.

-You #3 D-man (Samuelsson), and arguably the best guy in your own zone, is made of glass and seems to miss almost as much time as he plays

-Jack Quinn, your best rookie from last year, has been out all year

-Other than the game the other day, almost every time Okposo steps on the ice he is dragging things down, late to backcheck, his forechecking is a shell of what it was...and that is more of a GM mistake resigning him, not a much a coaching mistake.

So I do not think Granato is doing a great job, but I'm not sure there is anyone out there who is going to do much better at the current time, if there is let me know.  And I realize I'm different than many on this board, but they are playing poorly and I'm not someone who just says "lets make a change and see what happens, it can't be worse"

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not saying Granato should get a free pass, nor am I saying he doesn't make game-day mistakes but who is out there that you will bring in who is going to be a lot better considering:

-Your best forward and top scorer (Thompson) is hurt

-arguably your 2nd best forward (Tuch) seems to be playing less than 100%, missing time both in preseason and the regular season

-Cozens, your 4th best scorer last year, is playing hurt and not impacting games much.

-You #3 D-man (Samuelsson), and arguably the best guy in your own zone, is made of glass and seems to miss almost as much time as he plays

-Jack Quinn, your best rookie from last year, has been out all year

-Other than the game the other day, almost every time Okposo steps on the ice he is dragging things down, late to backcheck, his forechecking is a shell of what it was...and that is more of a GM mistake resigning him, not a much a coaching mistake.

So I do not think Granato is doing a great job, but I'm not sure there is anyone out there who is going to do much better at the current time, if there is let me know.  And I realize I'm different than many on this board, but they are playing poorly and I'm not someone who just says "lets make a change and see what happens, it can't be worse"

Firing him during the season won’t fix a thing.   I have no desire to see Matty Ellis coach my team. 

After the season he should be evaluated and if there are better options, proven options especially, then you move on.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Michael is a great guy but no.  He has 1 year behind an NHL bench as an assistant.  Just no.  

Gallant is there.  Brind’Amour will be a possibility, he knows Adams.  There are other former coaches.   

NO MORE ROOKIE HEAD COACHES.  

If you know who has any say, look out. Because this is right up his alley. For one thing, newbies can be manipulated, controlled and meddled with. Remember No Hockey Emperors and No Monopoly on Hockey IQ?

1 hour ago, MISabresFan said:

Beginning in the 2012–13 season, Peca was named head coach of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres of the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL), where he coached through the 2013–14 season. After the 2012–13 season, he was named OJHL Coach of the Year. In his two years of coaching, he had 66 wins in 108 regular season games. Michael Peca served as head coach of the Bantam Major Jr. Sabres in addition to his duties as general manager and director of hockey operations for the Buffalo Jr. Sabres. On February 10, 2021, Peca was hired by the Washington Capitals to be a player development coach working with the "taxi squad" players for the 2020–21 season. In 2021, he was hired by the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant coach with their American Hockey League affiliate, the Rochester Americans.  Peca was announced as an assistant coach with the Rangers on June 20, 2023, joining under new head coach Peter Laviolette.

On June 7, 2011, Brind'Amour was introduced by the Carolina Hurricanes as their assistant coach and development coach while retaining his role in developing the franchise's forwards while spending some time behind the bench in the NHL.  On May 8, 2018, Brind'Amour was hired as the Hurricanes' head coach. 

Peca is ready.  

What old Punch said.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If you know who has any say, look out. Because this is right up his alley. For one thing, newbies can be manipulated, controlled and meddled with. Remember No Hockey Emperors and No Monopoly on Hockey IQ?

It would be so Pegula-like to hire Peca.  A publicity stunt that might work, or not.  And yes, newbies like Granato tend to chirp what the party line is.  Crusty guys like Gallant and Laviolette do not.  I prefer crusty.  

Peca really needs a few years with Laviolette IMO.  Right now the Rangers are riding high, and he got to see and be part of a system installed in one off season.  Laviolette will be adding to it as he goes.  Sooner or later the Rangers will hit a rough patch, there is much learning to do when that happens.  He should stay where he is but of course, he will jump at the promotion.  

I still say no.  

The players are young and finding themselves.  They are not quite ready to take the next step.  We have a rookie who is in goal.  Another that has played well and another that is hit or miss and often hurt.  Never mind half of the skaters are rookies or old farts  with some stars inbetween the two extremes.

I hated Rod as a player, but he figured out how to win the cup as a player.  He is a good coach too for a team at a certain point.  Sure he is friends with Adams.  I don't think the Sabres are ready for him or Gallant.  Gallant wears out his welcome in about 3 years.  I am not sure that is enough time at this point for him to get this team to the cup.

Rod made his fame in Carolina.  I am not sure he will want to leave without taking his best shot at the Cup as a coach there.  This may not be their year, but it may turn out that way.  If the Canes win the cup this season then the chances of Rod leaving triple at least.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

Peca is ready.  

So you say Brind'Amour was hired as an assistant coach in 2011 but then give him 0 credit for being a coach until 2018.

Also wanna know why Brind'Amour wasn't a coach until 2011? Because he was playing NHL hockey until that point. 

Brind'Amour has so much more nhl coaching experience compared to Peca it isn't funny. 

• Like (+1) 1

Brind’Amour is a solid coach. Why is he even being discussed? He’s the coach of the Panthers. We can’t and won’t be hiring him. 

I would be fine with Gallant or a proven coach or a coach with a proven program who actually knows how to coach. 

I’ve been thinking to let Granato get through the year, but if there are many more games like last night, I think we need a new coach by the start of the new year. Regardless of the Thompson injury. He wasn’t playing at an all star level anyway, and I doubt he’d have made a difference in last night’s game.

The danger, here, is the longer Granato remains as head coach, the more bad habits the players develop. The goals last night were mostly on crappy, defensive play.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Brind’Amour is a solid coach. Why is he even being discussed? He’s the coach of the Panthers. We can’t and won’t be hiring him. 

I would be fine with Gallant or a proven coach or a coach with a proven program who actually knows how to coach. 

I’ve been thinking to let Granato get through the year, but if there are many more games like last night, I think we need a new coach by the start of the new year. Regardless of the Thompson injury. He wasn’t playing at an all star level anyway, and I doubt he’d have made a difference in last night’s game.

The danger, here, is the longer Granato remains as head coach, the more bad habits the players develop. The goals last night were mostly on crappy, defensive play.

I think you mean he coaches the Hurricanes and his deal is up at the end of the season 

I think Granato gets the season before a decision is made 

The off-season gives a larger pool of candidates to choose from and if they move on from Granato, they have to get the pick right. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So you say Brind'Amour was hired as an assistant coach in 2011 but then give him 0 credit for being a coach until 2018.

Also wanna know why Brind'Amour wasn't a coach until 2011? Because he was playing NHL hockey until that point. 

Brind'Amour has so much more nhl coaching experience compared to Peca it isn't funny. 

Not according to his resume. I was comparing their work history.   Peca has just as much experience. 

22 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Firing him during the season won’t fix a thing.   I have no desire to see Matty Ellis coach my team. 

After the season he should be evaluated and if there are better options, proven options especially, then you move on.  

I also want to at least give him a chance with a full arsenal of players 

I think too many have their targets set on the wrong target    It should be Adams not DG that the fans ire should be directed at 

• Agree 1

I dreamed that there was a presser with Donny Meatballs where he announced his resignation as head coach.  Following that, Kevyn announced that since Donny was still under contract, he would be assigned to Rochester, and that Seth Appert would be promoted to Sabres head coach.

I'm not saying I am a proponent of this or I think it will happen, but apparently my subconscious is.

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I dreamed that there was a presser with Donny Meatballs where he announced his resignation as head coach.  Following that, Kevyn announced that since Donny was still under contract, he would be assigned to Rochester, and that Seth Appert would be promoted to Sabres head coach.

I'm not saying I am a proponent of this or I think it will happen, but apparently my subconscious is.

This would of course never happen.

Until we are all but eliminated Meatballs stays and he gets to feel all the pain and suffering that we feel.  

When he gets whacked Appert gets the reigns to finish it out.   Then in the off season the BN releases news that Adams signs Brind'Amour to coach the Sabres, only to recant the story the next day after it is leaked that Adams would not agree to fix the roster to his liking. 

By then Gallant will be gone, and they sign Appert from the bargain bin and sell it as keeping consistent with the master plan of building from within with people that want to be here.   Appert will retain Matty and the boys ....  { I wake up). 

The Office Morning GIF

Now my nightmare ends, or does it start all over?  

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/25/2023 at 1:19 PM, MDFan said:

If you think the Sabres were anywhere near a competent team with the players you are crying about then there is clearly no discussion to be had.  They had talent, but were not even close to being competitive, and all you mention had given up on the Sabres.  It was going nowhere.  There was no coming back from the team building and coaching mistakes made by both Murray and Botterill.  

Why couldn't we have kept them? That's what contracts are for. 

Imagine how much better we would be with Eichel, Reinhart, Montour, and Ullmark.

We blew our chance on being a contender by making silly, fruitless moves.

It all goes back to Pegula.

10 minutes ago, seer775 said:

Imagine how much better we would be with Eichel, Reinhart, Montour, and Ullmark.

It goes back to one bad decision Terry made that no one could reasonably have saved us from since - and I ask you, can we really still hold a solitary decision he made a decade ago against him? People make mistakes.

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It goes back to one bad decision Terry made that no one could reasonably have saved us from since - and I ask you, can we really still hold a solitary decision he made a decade ago against him? People make mistakes.

Do you mean by taking on the Sabres/Bills?

If so, yes. He said he wanted to win. He hasn't. Plus, Sabres seats are half empty and have been for a while.

I don't think he cares very much frankly.

Edited by seer775

14 minutes ago, seer775 said:

Do you mean by taking on the Sabres/Bills?

If so, yes. He said he wanted to win. He hasn't. Plus, Sabres seats are half empty and have been for a while.

I don't think he cares very much frankly.

I was referring to his decision to be born 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, seer775 said:

The problem with this theory is it forces you to assume all other outcomes being the same, such as getting power, jjp, and Quinn. Tage having the breakout he did. Etc... that's not how it works. 

1 hour ago, seer775 said:

I didn’t like any of the aforementioned players.  Are they good players? Sure.  Are they guys I want repping the franchise?  Outside of Ullmark, nope.  Grumpy, sleepy and smurfette weren’t going to cut it here. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.