It Is Time: Fire the GM, the Coaching Staff, get some experience in here. Fans deserve better!!!

Scottysabres

On 12/6/2023 at 4:49 AM, sabremike said:

This is a dying franchise in a dying city.

We are the Hartford Whalers.

Five more years until relocation tops.

Others have responded, but I will add something.

Western NY is the future--

A lot of the new and upcoming areas in other parts of the country are just huge cookie cutter spread out suburbs. The Rust Belt cities, at least in my opinion, have more of an authenticity in their infrastructure and identity. And don't get me wrong, this isn't an insult to the South, they themselves are often complaining about losing their identity or whatever to modern development.

And... climate change, oh man, climate change. It heats up? Bring it, doesn't hurt us. Colorado, California, and all those guys are fighting over that drying river already. Fresh water, we have it all. We have no natural disasters and tons of beautiful nature right around and not too far away. And as annoying as it can be, we have the most famous city in the world in the same state, but far enough away to not physically impact us.

We may some problems, but generally we are an educated, developed, and prosperous land of people. Life wouldn't be worth living without faults.

I love this place! Special shout out to Rochester! Xerox and Kodak are some of the coolest corporate names, even if the latter is a ghost and the former... gone. The flour city, and the flower city! Ha! And even if I'm wrong, I enjoy having a stubborn loyalty to the place 🙃

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, lowsabre said:

Others have responded, but I will add something.

Western NY is the future--

A lot of the new and upcoming areas in other parts of the country are just huge cookie cutter spread out suburbs. The Rust Belt cities, at least in my opinion, have more of an authenticity in their infrastructure and identity. And don't get me wrong, this isn't an insult to the South, they themselves are often complaining about losing their identity or whatever to modern development.

And... climate change, oh man, climate change. It heats up? Bring it, doesn't hurt us. Colorado, California, and all those guys are fighting over that drying river already. Fresh water, we have it all. We have no natural disasters and tons of beautiful nature right around and not too far away. And as annoying as it can be, we have the most famous city in the world in the same state, but far enough away to not physically impact us.

We may some problems, but generally we are an educated, developed, and prosperous land of people. Life wouldn't be worth living without faults.

I love this place! Special shout out to Rochester! Xerox and Kodak are some of the coolest corporate names, even if the latter is a ghost and the former... gone. The flour city, and the flower city! Ha! And even if I'm wrong, I enjoy having a stubborn loyalty to the place 🙃

This almost deserves a thread of its own.

I grew up in the suburbs of Buffalo, but after college I moved and lived in quite a few areas. Boston Suburbs, Cape Cod, 2 times in Florida (South Florida and the Daytona/Orlando area), and very short stints in South Carolina and New Hampshire.  

My wife was born, grew up, went to college, and had her first full time job right in NY city.  It took her a while to adjust to not being there.

But right now, there really is no other place we'd want to be, and we had choices. Both now, and when we bought our house, we had flexibility in where we could work (remote work and an option to transfer to other places.) As other have said, the 4 seasons (fall and spring... light jacket weather is my personal favorite), less traffic (helped by us being in Niagara county), and a lot of things others have said.

Where I used to live in Florida, we still have relatives that live down there, and we visit every year (sometimes twice a year) and each time we go down there, we hear them telling us over and over how much they love Florida, but it is so bad it's almost as if they are trying to convince both us and themselves of it.  I do know this, one of them has a house about the size of ours. 10 years ago they paid a fraction of the property taxes we do, but now their property taxes have just about caught up to ours, they insurance is triple on their houses and double on their cars, their local supermarket (Publix) is more expensive than Tops or Wegmans, and traffic (even though they don't live in a 'city') is awful by them.

Each time we visit my brother in law complains that his 20 mile commute to and from work takes over an hour, that the summer is too hot he can't get much done outdoors, the his homeowners association keeps raising fees and gives out too many fines, his homeowners insurance got canceled and he had to pay double for a new company/policy, that his property taxes are going up by almost $1000 per year the last few years, there is no good food, restaurants have a 30+ minute wait on any weekend...there are parts of town that are too dangerous to go out at night in.....but he finishes all that by saying he is so lucky to live in 'his paradise' (yes, he calls it a paradise, out loud he says that word over and over)

Everyone likes different things, and honestly many of us live in the area we want to live because we like that.  But honestly, I'm happy being here, and if the population stays the same or grows just slightly that is fine with me.  I wouldn't want our area to turn into those areas that "all the cool people' are moving to.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.