Sabres Lines 11/6/23

Brawndo

This is what I've been waiting for this morning.  Wanted to see if Skinner-Tage-Tuch stayed together (as I think they should).

Top 6 looks solid to me.  To me they are 1A and 1B lines, not first and second lines.  Third line looks weak with Cozens' absence, but maybe the kids will overperform.  Fourth line:  Meh.

On D, pairing RyJo with Dahlin is... interesting.  Who is the defensive D and who is the offensive D of that pair?  Will RyJo actually get top pair minutes?  To go from a game of 8:20 ice time to top pair is really a stretch I think.  (I'm not saying it won't work but it's definitely a stretch.)

Edited by Doohickie

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This is what I've been waiting for this morning.  Wanted to see if Skinner-Tage-Tuch stayed together (as I think they should).

Top 6 looks solid to me.  To me they are 1A and 1B lines, not first and second lines.  Third line looks weak with Cozens' absence.  Fourth line:  Meh.

On D, pairing RyJo with Dahlin is... interesting.  Who is the defensive D and who is the offensive D of that pair?  Will RyJo actually get top pair minutes?  To go from a game of 8:20 ice time to top pair is really a stretch I think.  (I'm not saying it won't work but it's definitely a stretch.)

Don't worry, they are playing on the road so they will play well.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Ryan Johnson on the top pairing 

And just like that, Bryson becomes a footnote.

Wonder if they'll actually use RJ2 with Dahlin tomorrow or if they'll go back to Dahlin-Jokiharju; Power-Clifton; and J&J?

Will be interested to see how they line up in the morning skate tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Can’t speak to his work in Rochester but in the NCAA and USA hockey he was more of a shutdown type guy. I think the Sabres brass told him that the defensive role, transition style was his path to the NHL. It is a big jump for him to go to the top pair.
They have seen Joki, Clifton and Bryson in that spot before so this could be a look that could work.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And just like that, Bryson becomes a footnote.

Different kind of note but music to my ears.

He is close to where he belongs this year. I would prefer Stillman as the 7D but Bryson has more “buddies” on the team.

Many people suspected that RyJo was the 7D but would bounce back and forth to maximize his ice time. I want his audition to go well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Top 6 looks solid to me.  To me they are 1A and 1B lines, not first and second lines.  Third line looks weak with Cozens' absence, but maybe the kids will overperform.  Fourth line:  Meh.

I don’t think Ryan Johnson will get a full top pairing minutes I think you’re going to see a lot of rotation with Power  rotating up depending on the situation, particularly if they need a goal. And I imagine Eric Johnson will rotate up when they’re defending the lead. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hope 1, 2 and 4 stay intact and 3 coalesces into Savoie Cozens Krebs.

Peyton has been one of the disappointments for me so far and Cozens has been very inconsistent, but that's combo that should be able to push the pace the way Donnie wants them to play, especially against 3rd pairings.

I've been on board the "VO needs to move on" train, but I have to admit i am mildly surprised at how ineffective he's been.

He's dropped to something like 16/17 on the forward depth chart. He's better than that.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I don’t think Ryan Johnson will get a full top pairing minutes I think you’re going to see a lot of rotation with Power  rotating up depending on the situation, particularly if they need a goal. And I imagine Eric Johnson will rotate up when they’re defending the lead. 

I suspect you're right but if you listen to Donny's post skate presser from today it sounds like he has full faith in RyJo, in putting him on the top pairing.  I suspect some of that is pumping up RyJo's tires but I think it's also hopefully a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Peyton has been one of the disappointments for me so far and Cozens has been very inconsistent, but that's combo that should be able to push the pace the way Donnie wants them to play, especially against 3rd pairings.

I've been on board the "VO needs to move on" train, but I have to admit i am mildly surprised at how ineffective he's been.

He's dropped to something like 16/17 on the forward depth chart. He's better than that.

Agreed with everything here.  

Olofsson is prone to being streaky.  Even last year there were stretches where he was the only guy, or one of the only guys, who was cooking offensively for a stretch or two. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It looks like he's pressing when he actually draws into a game and nothing good comes from that.  It starts becoming a negative feedback loop.  He either needs to get a couple of lucky goals in a single game or btb's or a change of scenery.  Don't see either as highly likely at this point in time.

• Like (+1) 1

Would rather see Jost on that line over Krebs. I haven't seen anything from Krebs this year that shows me he should be playing with our blue chip prospects.

Savoie Cozens Krebs Jost.

No, but the team is now better than him. 

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Patrick Kane has entered the chat😜

I was against pursuing Kane but have moved to the maybe he provides middle six & PP scoring depth position. EJ coming in as a Cup winner seems to have provided excellent leadership value which Kane could also help with.

I am now questioning whether his medical procedure will ever allow him to get his skills back to where they were about two seasons ago. Backstrom had the same procedure and just has not been able to get back to an acceptable level. The financial commitment wouldn’t handcuff the team but it would still be a risk if he were to come in and not perform.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.