GDT: Sabres @ Maple Leafs: November4, 2023 @ 7:00PM, NHL Network, MSG-B, and NBCS-PH

SABRES 0311

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not sure why they went 7 D

Why is this so hard to understand?  They wanted to to give RyJo a game but against Toronto they wanted the luxury of not having to give him a regular shift.  He did well in limited minutes, a +1 with an assist on a great pass.  It also allowed them to limit Bryson's minutes.  And face it, we knew whatever line Olofsson was on would get limited minutes so why make it a line at all? 

It will be interesting to see who this develops going forward.  Will the 11F/7D alignment continue?  Or will they go back to 6D and if so, does RyJo play in Bryson's place?

Many players players on This team has a very good understanding of what Rick Jeanneret meant to the Sabres Fanbase

Alex Tuch is the only current Sabres Player who grew up a fan of the team knows this the best and His Father is a huge fan of RJ. 

When He first arrived to the Sabres one of the first things he asked was to meet RJ and he immediately called His Dad afterwards to tell Him. 
Tuch arranged for His Father to meet Rick in person during one of the First Home Games Alex played in. 

If the players especially Tuch, want to call Ryan Johnson, RJ that’s their prerogative. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Many players players on This team has a very good understanding of what Rick Jeanneret meant to the Sabres Fanbase

Alex Tuch is the only current Sabres Player who grew up a fan of the team knows this the best and His Father is a huge fan of RJ. 

When He first arrived to the Sabres one of the first things he asked was to meet RJ and he immediately called His Dad afterwards to tell Him. 
Tuch arranged for His Father to meet Rick in person during one of the First Home Games Alex played in. 

If the players especially Tuch, want to call Ryan Johnson, RJ that’s their prerogative. 

Good for Alex Tuch. The board can do better imo

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

RJ2 can be RJ too.  The world's a big place and there can be room for another.  🤪

Fine. Call him RJ then if it means so much to you to call him by the nickname some of the players do

it’s a “whatever” thing 

Edited by Thorny

5 hours ago, bg17 said:

It was a rough night for you. Giving up 3 in the third hurts but you can’t win them all. Detroit is no slouch either. All my best. 

Not at all. A bunch of you like to jump on  the fact that Boston's my second team but my assessment of the Sabres game has nothing to do with Boston. Boston lost because Detroit played well, they have an exceptionally good PP and the Bruins had like 7 or 8 penalties (some iffy but that's the way it goes some nights) and the Bruins are down 3 starting D and 2 forwards. Sabres went on a losing streak last year when they had multiple D injuries at once. Bruins might as well. 

If you look back to what I said about the Flyers game, you'll notice I said "fret not, we can beat the Leafs" and voila, there it is. But, contrary to the rollercoaster emotional ride some people like to take here, nothing has changed. 

Can't wait until somebody tells me I'm not a "real fan". 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Why is this so hard to understand?  They wanted to to give RyJo a game but against Toronto they wanted the luxury of not having to give him a regular shift.  He did well in limited minutes, a +1 with an assist on a great pass.  It also allowed them to limit Bryson's minutes.  And face it, we knew whatever line Olofsson was on would get limited minutes so why make it a line at all? 

It will be interesting to see who this develops going forward.  Will the 11F/7D alignment continue?  Or will they go back to 6D and if so, does RyJo play in Bryson's place?

It's not that it was "so hard to understand" , it just didn't seem necessary considering they have so many forward prospects. Don't really see a need for a Johnson audition at this stage given they had all of preseason for that already. Guess they were not happy with Biro and/or Rousek. 

It's just odd that you keep Bryson but then you limit his minutes. Seems counter productive. We will see what happens moving forward but reliance on basically 3 lines instead of 4 will wear the team down over time but I suspect we go back to 4 lines when Cozens returns. 

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not at all. A bunch of you like to jump on  the fact that Boston's my second team but my assessment of the Sabres game has nothing to do with Boston. Boston lost because Detroit played well, they have an exceptionally good PP and the Bruins had like 7 or 8 penalties (some iffy but that's the way it goes some nights) and the Bruins are down 3 starting D and 2 forwards. Sabres went on a losing streak last year when they had multiple D injuries at once. Bruins might as well. 

If you look back to what I said about the Flyers game, you'll notice I said "fret not, we can beat the Leafs" and voila, there it is. But, contrary to the rollercoaster emotional ride some people like to take here, nothing has changed. 

Can't wait until somebody tells me I'm not a "real fan". 

I think you're insightful, and often correct. Still seems unnatural to actually like the Bruins.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Actually, it was mostly because of the injury to Muel was early the game.   In the Philly game Power and Clifton played about 25 mins the night before.  Joker played 21, E Johnson played 19. Dahlin is used to heavy minutes.  Not good for a B2B.   Playing 7 was smart.  

As it turns out, Ryan made a big play with that laser beam pass and they got about 15 minutes from the combo of Ryan and Bryson.  

Very smart.  He put an extra load on Tage, Tuch, Skinner and Greenway and they responded. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Actually, it was mostly because of the injury to Muel was early the game.   In the Philly game Power and Clifton played about 25 mins the night before.  Joker played 21, E Johnson played 19. Dahlin is used to heavy minutes.  Not good for a B2B.   Playing 7 was smart.  

As it turns out, Ryan made a big play with that laser beam pass and they got about 15 minutes from the combo of Ryan and Bryson.  

Very smart.  He put an extra load on Tage, Tuch, Skinner and Greenway and they responded. 

Credit where credit was due.  Running 7 D in that scenario was a pretty crafty bit of tactics.  That was a pretty good example of successful coaching with winning as the primary purpose.  Good on ya, Granato.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

We? You didn't do *****, bruh.

And yeah I am grumpy today.

But you changed the subject line formatting of the date. If you did this before puck drop you must do it again.

I realized after the game the date format was different. That’s how I coach. When it’s not working, change the lines.

• Like (+1) 1

Johnson hasn't really earned a specific Star Wars name yet, but if you're going astromech, I'd go R3-J3. Or Arthree if you were reading the books.

R3 units aren't as common as R2, R4, or R5s in the films, but they do exist.

6 hours ago, steveoath said:

Need @DarthEbriate to let us know if this is canon though. 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not until we get the @DarthEbriate seal of approval.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.