DOES ADAMS GET A GOALIE NOW?!

JoeSchmoe

36 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I keep saying it again, 15 teams in the league are looking for a #1 goalie.   Where do you want Adams to find one ? 

I think the problem is that the Sabres need a reliable #2 goalie.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

There is no defense for Adams handling of our goaltending.  He failed his team last year and this year is starting out rough with the same trio.  

I’m not really arguing with you.

Except to say there is one defence: that we get good goaltending from the trio Adams decided to go with.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I hope that happens.  It did today. 

So far this season the Sabres are tied for 12th in goals against.

In my view, untimely defensive breakdowns and the not enough timely scoring, especially on the PP are the reasons the Sabres have lost more games than they’ve won.

Goaltending hasn’t won them any games, but it hasn’t cost them any either.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, LTS said:

Given that the Sabres can't beat Jake Allen it would make sense to try and get him. 🙂

Provided, it isn't simply Allen being in the game that causes them to be unable to win.  If he has to be going against them to cause them to lose, would be all over it.  😆

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

No one would have said a word IF Ullmark went to Boston and was no better than UPL is today, last year or two.. Only WHEN Ullmark started to have a great year, did the “KA screwed up by not keeping Ullmark” rantings start to heat up. Sure maybe  1% of fans thought it was a mistake by KA the day Ullmark chose Boston. But it certainly was not the growing rant that it is today. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz.

Disagree here.  It was a huge mistake at the time, not simply in hindsight.  

And fully realize and agree that Ullmark would not have the same stats he had last year had he still been a Sabre.  BUT the Sabres would've been in the playoffs too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And fully realize and agree that Ullmark would not have the same stats he had last year had he still been a Sabre.  BUT the Sabres would've been in the playoffs too.

Absolutely.  So many of us on this board were furious when KA failed to re-sign Ullmark.  We pointed out that the Sabres, even in the dark times, played playoff level hockey when Ullmark started and wanted him extended.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yessir 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hard to argue against this, but Linus had been injury prone to that point AND I believe he wanted to get outta town.  This was the factory of sadness for his entire tenure. Even if GMKA chose to overpay, there’s no guarantee he would have stayed once the Bruins came calling. 

(5/32)*(5/32)*(5/31)*(5/31) = .000635...

If goaltending was a coinflip (this is not fair because it's harder to be good when you have bad goaltending the year before than when you have good goaltending the year before, but it's also not fair in the other direction because you can take actions to make your chances better than a coin flip)

What the Sabres managed to do the last 4 years has a likelihood that could be estimated as something like ~.06%, which is why I keep pushing @thewookie1 on his 'luck' angle. There is almost no way that this stretch is luck, it is far more likely to be incompetence

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/28/2023 at 1:37 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

Defense needs to be better. No question. Power is still learning and I expect him to be better by the end of the season. Our young F's are still learning to play on both sides of the puck as well. 

If we're playing UPL though, we have no chance. He done nothing but suck at the pro level. 

So, you think UPL has sucked at the pro level while playing behind a team that’s learning to play defense still?

Makes sense. 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

It cost them the NJ game.

You can’t be serious.

They were outshot 17-4 in the 3rd period. The goals against were Grade A chances.

The only reason the score was close was because Vanecek couldn’t stop a beachball

Edited by dudacek

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You can’t be serious.

They were outshot 17-4 in the 3rd period. The goals against were Grade A chances.

The only reason the score was close was because Vanecek couldn’t stop a beachball

UPL looked like I would if I was thrown in the net against the Devils. You could see him shaking on live TV. Even the easy saves weren't easy. That absolutely impacted the Sabres, and so I would be comfortable saying goaltending cost us that game 

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You can’t be serious.

The guys who make a living doing this stuff had him at -1.74 goals saved above expected. That's a loss by goalie.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

UPL looked like I would if I was thrown in the net against the Devils. You could see him shaking on live TV. Even the easy saves weren't easy. That absolutely impacted the Sabres, and so I would be comfortable saying goaltending cost us that game 

I’m reading this as the Sabres played bad because they didn’t like UPL’s body language, therefore it’s his fault they lost, even if his play wasn’t directly responsible for any goals against.

It’s the sort of thing that’s impossible to quantify, but it sounds like a lot of projecting to me. 

12 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The guys who make a living doing this stuff had him at -1.74 goals saved above expected. That's a loss by goalie.

Wait, people actually pay the guy who reported this?

If you think the Sabres deserved to win that game if they had adequate goaltending Im not going to change your mind.

18 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Who's 3rd string goalie is our new internet cuddle bunny ?

I've ripped UPL but my realistic belief is little is out there. Now comes 14 games in November with 10 of them on the road. 

Calgary’s start is poor and their two goalies have not played very well. They have 2 time AHL goalie of the year and last year’s AHL MVP Dustin Wolf inthe minors again.

Vladar is probably available but I don’t want him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.