Who’s Next for an extension?

nfreeman

Who’s next for an extension?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Baba O’Riley, Behind blue eyes or Won’t get fooled again?

• Power - RFA
    • Mitts - RFA
    • Joki - RFA
    • Krebs - RFA
    • A UFA surprise (Jost, Zemgus, VO or Comrie)

KA repeated today what he’s said a number of times in the past: that there is a plan and a process they are going through with contract extensions. He described it as putting a puzzle together.

I think they definitely have a preferred sequence in mind for the guys they’d like to sign, and that their top priority right now is getting Power signed. I wouldn’t be surprised though if one of the other guys got a contract first.

Still, I voted for Power. 

Power is next.  I doubt Krebs, Joki or Mitts get extended before next off-season.  The caveat would be Mitts if he starts burning down the house.  Given his close relationship with Dahlin and Cozens, if Mitts continues to excel, KA may want get him to lock him up.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Now that you edited my post to add Bryson.  Do you think his close relationship with Mitts, DC and Raz played into his getting the 7th D job?  Locker-room harmony is a big deal to DG/KA.  

I certainly hope not. 

1 minute ago, Night Train said:

Power a bridge deal. He has not achieved a high enough level of play to have a 7-8 year deal yet. Still has a long way to go. 

If you can get him for 8 years at a low enough cap hit, you sign him now.  It's a gamble just like it was with Cozens, Tage and Muel.

• Like (+1) 1

The thing is:  I think Mitts is a guy that would give a hometown discount to stay here.  I think he's finally settling into a niche and right now and while he won't make the coin Cozens and Tage do, neither will be expected to hold up a top 6 line (except as an injury replacement) so it's kind of a "cushy job" as center spots go in the NHL.  In Buffalo he'll be slotted possibly a bit below his ceiling ability but also won't have the stress of having to be "the guy" which I think in his case makes it easier for him to actually be the guy... but only on the 3rd line.

And having a top-six C injury replacement already on the roster is a big benefit for the Sabres in terms of depth. 

• Agree 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:19 AM, tom webster said:

Mitts is an interesting case because if he wants to stay he will have to sign for less then he will be able to get elsewhere. Also,  I think Buffalo would like to keep the term around 3 years. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if Powers signed any day for Sanderson money but I wouldn’t get on it at this point.

I guess I should have bet on it.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:35 AM, Doohickie said:

The thing is:  I think Mitts is a guy that would give a hometown discount to stay here.  I think he's finally settling into a niche and right now and while he won't make the coin Cozens and Tage do, neither will be expected to hold up a top 6 line (except as an injury replacement) so it's kind of a "cushy job" as center spots go in the NHL.  In Buffalo he'll be slotted possibly a bit below his ceiling ability but also won't have the stress of having to be "the guy" which I think in his case makes it easier for him to actually be the guy... but only on the 3rd line.

And having a top-six C injury replacement already on the roster is a big benefit for the Sabres in terms of depth. 

Does anyone have a Mitts contact comp?  Anyone his age/skill level sign recently? 

43 minutes ago, tom webster said:

If I were forced to guess, the next signing will be Mitts, if he takes a 3 X $6 kind of deal or Patrick Kane. 

I don't even know how i would react if, after the purse strings were held firmly closed for outside help for the last 2 years, we opened them up for Patrick Kane, the most redundant skillset available at any point in that span, and who is thus probably a net negative 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.