Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

16 hours ago, Hank said:

15-0-2. Back to back shutouts. Forsberg and Sieder(first NHL fight) with a spirited scrap. Great day in Smashville. 

That was pretty entertaining. Preds are playing playoff style hockey too. Saros could pull some Hasek level play for them to be a playoff upset team. Unlikely, but definitely possible. (I'm fondly remembering Hasek vs. Ottawa as I type this)

From the beginning of the season through the end of January, it looked like Ovechkin hit that wall and there was no coming back. Gretzky's record looked out of reach.  I think he had 8 goals through the first 43 or 44 games of the season. (on pace for about 15)

But in the past 2 months, he has 18 goals in the last 24 games. (including 4 multi-goal games and a 6 game goal scoring streak) He'd be leading the Sabres in goals at this time, and is ties for 4th in the league in goals scored in that time period (3 behind Hyman and one less than Matthews and Point).

Over that time frame (when the Caps along with the Sabres were desperate for points to stay in the playoff race), Ovi has those 18 goals, the MOST anyone on the Sabres has is 7 (Thompson, Peterka and Skinner tied).  

The Caps have 14 points in their last 10 games. The Sabres have 9.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/24/2024 at 5:04 PM, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Pens blew a 4 goal lead to Avs and lost in OT. Lol

I would not want to be a Pittsburgh fan right now:

-Didn't make the playoffs last year.  Not making it this year, and this year they are sliding worse than last year.

-Your best players all getting really old. By the start of next season (or during it), Crosby turns 37, Malkin 38, Karlsson 34, Letang 37, Smith 33.

They have one guy on their roster under 30 who has double digit goals Drew O'Connor, an undrafted 25 year old with 10 goals this year  and a total for 18 in his entire career.

-Their pipeline is empty. From what I can tell then have 2 middle-first round picks and one goalie, thats about it...and their top prospect is no better than any of the top 6-7 the Sabres have.  Oh, and they have no first round pick this year either.

ALL of their top guys are signed for multi year deals. Like really bad looking deals for how old they are. Yet, they are probably just good enough to keep the Penguins out of the cellar next year and away from a top lotter pick.

• Agree 1

The St. Louis Blues have a chance to tie Vegas with 9 games remaining potentially.

The two play tonight and a Blues regulation win would put them 2 pack with Vegas holding a game in hand. Said game is the next day against Nashville. 

Following that Vegas plays Winnipeg while the Blues play Calgary. 

That race could get hot tonight

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

-Didn't make the playoffs last year.  Not making it this year, and this year they are sliding worse than last year.

-Your best players all getting really old. By the start of next season (or during it), Crosby turns 37, Malkin 38, Karlsson 34, Letang 37, Smith 33.

They have one guy on their roster under 30 who has double digit goals Drew O'Connor, an undrafted 25 year old with 10 goals this year  and a total for 18 in his entire career.

-Their pipeline is empty. From what I can tell then have 2 middle-first round picks and one goalie, thats about it...and their top prospect is no better than any of the top 6-7 the Sabres have.  Oh, and they have no first round pick this year either.

ALL of their top guys are signed for multi year deals. Like really bad looking deals for how old they are. Yet, they are probably just good enough to keep the Penguins out of the cellar next year and away from a top lotter pick.

I wouldn’t trade what Buffalo has for what they have at all given the incredible highs that fanbase has seen.  That team has earned a fanbase that is happy to watch them slowly walk into the sunset.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

lol! We would all literally beg to be Pittsburgh fans. We should be so lucky. As if what they are going through now isn’t a million times justified by the success they’ve had. Sabres fans can be so funny haha 

“I sure wouldn’t want to be THEM!” Again, we should be so lucky. What we are seeing is merely the cost 

There’s a draft every year and 7 free picks. They’ll be retooled within a couple years - long endless rebuild plans are buffalo thing

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, OverPowerYou said:

Of course the red wings play the capitals today. Teams # 8 and 9. This is 100% going to overtime as well. CURSED 

We are out of it because we won’t win enough games to stay in it. But, for those still playing along at home, the most important things tonight are that Wash/Det are decided in regulation and that the Flyers lose in regulation to the Rangers. The WC2 threshold drops by over a full point if those two things occur. 

10 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

I’ve liked just about everything I’ve seen from the Rangers this year. I just saw that Phil Housley is one of their assistant coaches. Not liking them anymore 

Rangers are very easy to dislike right now:
#1 their fans are obnoxious
#2 their fans interrupt the anthem and think its funny / tradition?
#3 drury is gm (screwed us)
#4 laviolette is coach (beat us)

I'm apathetic about Housley and Peca.  And the roster is kinda boring. I guess Trouba is annoying because he seems to have a different sent of rules compared to the Sabres, but that's on the refs.  I think of all the playoffs teams they are the ones I wish the least success.  Well them and Florida and TB.  I've moved on to being in awe of Boston.  Incredible run of being good.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Crazy how the "good" teams keep losing to "not-so-good" teams; case in point...Colorado lose at home to Montreal while Edmonton lost to Otttawa a few nights ago. Tough to try and figure out who will win on any given night these days, which I suppose os good for the NHL. Also points to the fact that on those nights when we think the Sabres are "not showing up", it may also be a case of the other team wanting it more and/or playing a kind of system that shuts down the Sabres. 

After coming back from a 4-1 third period deficit to beat Vegas 5-4, the Preds points streak is up to 18 games, 16-0-2. Sabres cast-off, Mark Jankowski, has been a good 3rd line winger during this streak, scoring three goals and ten points in eleven games in the month of March. 

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Crazy how the "good" teams keep losing to "not-so-good" teams; case in point...Colorado lose at home to Montreal while Edmonton lost to Otttawa a few nights ago.

Is this a backhanded way of saying the Sabres are good?