Benson-Savoie Platoon

Flashsabre

A “Thinking outside the box” idea. What if the Sabres keep both of them for the season and platoon them like a goalie duo. This is all predicated on a healthy lineup of course but one plays the other rests and trains. You carry 2 goalies to open up the extra roster spot up front. 

This allows them both to develop at the NHL level without hitting the wall. You hope you get to a point in the season where both are ready to play every night.

• dislike 1

Fascinating idea! If this were two years ago I might have a different opinion, but I’m not sure the Sabres want to carry 14 forwards, especially when the playoffs are the stated goal this season.  This is no longer a developmental team.  Also what happens when Quinn returns?  

Had we been in this situation 2 years ago, I’d say F’it and give both guys a chance.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

There's zero evidence that savoie is ready to handle the NHL yet.  I think the kid is likely to be a solid NHL contributor eventually, but it doesnt have to happen until he forces his way onto the team with his play (much like Benson appears to be doing right now).  We have way too much depth to necessitate putting savoie on the team prematurely 

• Like (+1) 1

I think they will take all of the time they can to make this decision.

Benson gets some games while Savoie rehabs. Savoie gets AHL conditioning stint then some Sabres games if he has looked good.

Performance will be the key to keep them in Buffalo. I don’t really see a platoon happening, but one of them might stick around. Savoie would have to dazzle to beat out Benson at this point.

An intriguing idea, but I think it potentially creates a locker room dynamics problems when one is playing noticeably better than the other one or they are both playing well, etc. Does the platoon continue even if performance is uneven between the two? Is it a zero sum game where one player takes playing time from the other as opposed to the "best 12 forwards" approach? If so that creates a difficult dynamic.  If one of them sits for an extended period of time development is stunted. 

As I said it was an out of the box idea not one I think they will implement. Just a unique case where your 18 year old has pushed his way on the team and the 19 year old misses the AHL by a single day.

If they were still in Winnipeg with James Patrick then I think it would be easier but with the move and the sh&tshow of the new organization I think they may look at different development paths.

14 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The object is to make the playoffs.  They should dress the players that can best help us do that.  

Planning all these rotations should not be priority. 

It's never about just the talent of the players that can be in the lineup. 

3 hours ago, slugspirit said:

So burn the first year of both ELCs for only half the playing time? Not so sure about that.

This is one aspect that has to be taken into account.  Until a team is a near absolute lock to challenge for the Cup (not just make the playoffs) a good GM isn't planning to win this year at the expense of any future years.  Burning contracts reduces roster flexibility.

And roster flexibility is the real key to all of this. If the situation was like the AHL then it would be a no brainer. But it's not and that will more than likely lead the team to send both Benson and Savoie back to Wenatchee.  Simply put, if either of them are kept past 9 games then there is no other spot for them. If they struggle, the team is handcuffed on what they can do. No ability to trade for someone and send the struggling player to the AHL.

The team has to be damn sure the player can contribute and contribute for a full 82 game + playoff season.  Benson looks good now, but what does he look like in February after the grind of the NHL?

I just don't see a team with the stated goal of making the playoffs limiting its ability to move proven NHL roster pieces around. 

And I think Benson is fantastic, I think if he could be sent down to the AHL then I would put him on this roster until Quinn returns or he begins to struggle. I love how he sees the ice and anticipates the play. But.. the business wins in the end.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

This is one aspect that has to be taken into account.  Until a team is a near absolute lock to challenge for the Cup (not just make the playoffs) a good GM isn't planning to win this year at the expense of any future years.  Burning contracts reduces roster flexibility.

And roster flexibility is the real key to all of this. If the situation was like the AHL then it would be a no brainer. But it's not and that will more than likely lead the team to send both Benson and Savoie back to Wenatchee.  Simply put, if either of them are kept past 9 games then there is no other spot for them. If they struggle, the team is handcuffed on what they can do. No ability to trade for someone and send the struggling player to the AHL.

The team has to be damn sure the player can contribute and contribute for a full 82 game + playoff season.  Benson looks good now, but what does he look like in February after the grind of the NHL?

I just don't see a team with the stated goal of making the playoffs limiting its ability to move proven NHL roster pieces around. 

And I think Benson is fantastic, I think if he could be sent down to the AHL then I would put him on this roster until Quinn returns or he begins to struggle. I love how he sees the ice and anticipates the play. But.. the business wins in the end.

What kind of message would this send to players battling for a roster spot during preseason? If it was predetermined to send Benson back to the WHL, was this made clear to him prior to preseason? And to insert a guy like Rousek or Biro who were clearly outplayed?

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Except there is another place for them if they struggle after game 10 or whatever: Washington.  It's just that they'll be more expensive in '26-'27 than they would've been had they gone back to WA prior to playing in game 10.

Yes, the Sabres brass would catch some flack for it.  But pretty sure that doesn't phase any of them.

19 hours ago, kas23 said:

What kind of message would this send to players battling for a roster spot during preseason? If it was predetermined to send Benson back to the WHL, was this made clear to him prior to preseason? And to insert a guy like Rousek or Biro who were clearly outplayed?

Who said predetermined?  You are making a counterpoint to a point that was not made.  If the original point does not exist, then your counterpoint is, by virtue, also non-existent.. therefore your comment is pointless.

Just having some fun, but seriously.  I didn't say predetermined, so you should re-read what I posted and make a counterpoint to that.

19 hours ago, Taro T said:

Except there is another place for them if they struggle after game 10 or whatever: Washington.  It's just that they'll be more expensive in '26-'27 than they would've been had they gone back to WA prior to playing in game 10.

Yes, the Sabres brass would catch some flack for it.  But pretty sure that doesn't phase any of them.

True, but that does speak to the contract/roster flexibility.  I don't just mean at this point in time but for as long as those assets are in the system. Starting a contract without getting the full potential is, at a business level, wasteful. 

All things can be worked around, naturally. With younger players the tendency is to keep things flexible, especially when a team has a talented roster.

And again, I will say it.  I like Benson, a lot. I would like nothing more for him to be on this team and to provide the Sabres with roster flexibility to ice a top 9 that are all scoring threats.  I don't know where Benson ends up this season, but his play so far indicates his trajectory is top line eventually.

On 10/5/2023 at 9:44 PM, pi2000 said:

no. 

they're better off playing top line minutes in juniors this season with a long playoff run as team leaders 

I think it would be more beneficial for him to stay the whole year Even if he doesn't play 82 games .

Practicing with Grown men Would work wonders for him then playing with kids

Edited by Buffalonill

On 10/7/2023 at 10:49 AM, LTS said:

Who said predetermined?  You are making a counterpoint to a point that was not made.  If the original point does not exist, then your counterpoint is, by virtue, also non-existent.. therefore your comment is pointless.

This is what you said:

“The team has to be damn sure the player can contribute and contribute for a full 82 game + playoff season.  Benson looks good now, but what does he look like in February after the grind of the NHL?”

Sending Benson down because he’s a rookie and likely won’t be able to endure the grind of the NHL is sending him down for a reason that was apparent before he even walked into preseason. Basically nothing he would do in preseason would change his age and status in the NHL. That’s sending him down due to a predermined reason.

You also bring up the point of sending them down due to “roster flexibility”. This is another issue that was apparent well before preseason. It’s not new.

So, you brought up 2 reasons to send Benson down that have nothing to with his ability. These were concerns well before preseason started, so if KA or Donnie are going to use these reasons to send him down, why even have such players compete in preseason? Sorry, try again. 

Edited by kas23

6 hours ago, kas23 said:

This is what you said:

“The team has to be damn sure the player can contribute and contribute for a full 82 game + playoff season.  Benson looks good now, but what does he look like in February after the grind of the NHL?”

Sending Benson down because he’s a rookie and likely won’t be able to endure the grind of the NHL is sending him down for a reason that was apparent before he even walked into preseason. Basically nothing he would do in preseason would change his age and status in the NHL. That’s sending him down due to a predermined reason.

You also bring up the point of sending them down due to “roster flexibility”. This is another issue that was apparent well before preseason. It’s not new.

So, you brought up 2 reasons to send Benson down that have nothing to with his ability. These were concerns well before preseason started, so if KA or Donnie are going to use these reasons to send him down, why even have such players compete in preseason? Sorry, try again. 

I know what I said, and the word was not predetermined.  Nothing I said at all indicates he won't be able to compete or that the team knows for sure.  My comments are that they need to be sure. Nothing more.  They aren't even my opinion but commentary on how management makes decisions on rosters. This has been going on for as long as players have been trying out for teams. It's not even a Granato or Adams thing.

You seem to be relating the all of the potential outcomes of a preseason with the word predetermined.  Roster flexibility and the ability of a player to perform at an NHL level throughout a season are concerns for every player in this situation, it has nothing to do with Benson or anyone. There's nothing predetermined.

You have players compete in preseason so you can gauge the likelihood of their ability to compete at the NHL level for a full season. That seems rather obvious.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.