Sleeper Pick

Archie Lee

Wondering if people have a sleeper pick to make the NHL roster this year. A player who rarely if ever gets mentioned as being in the mix for an NHL roster spot.

My sleeper pick is Brandon Biro.  He was having a point per game season in Rochester when he was injured. Had he been healthy he might have been the call-up rather than Rousek. He plays wing and centre. He’s in the same age range as Rousek, Murray and Weissbach. I think he pushes hard for the 13th forward position. 

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Metsa.  Older college UFA who was really good for Rochester in the playoffs and has been solid in this tournament.  I have him as the first callup on D ahead of Johnson.

I like this based on the fact that’s he’s the ONLY RHD in the prospects camp.  Doubt he makes it but it’s a nice sleeper choice. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, Archie Lee said:

Wondering if people have a sleeper pick to make the NHL roster this year. A player who rarely if ever gets mentioned as being in the mix for an NHL roster spot.

My sleeper pick is Brandon Biro.  He was having a point per game season in Rochester when he was injured. Had he been healthy he might have been the call-up rather than Rousek. He plays wing and centre. He’s in the same age range as Rousek, Murray and Weissbach. I think he pushes hard for the 13th forward position. 

Honestly, the drafting of Benson and the flourishing of Kulich and Rosen is going to make it seriously difficult for Biro to make it. 

51 minutes ago, inkman said:

Honestly, the drafting of Benson and the flourishing of Kulich and Rosen is going to make it seriously difficult for Biro to make it. 

And a lot of other tweeners, be they older ones like Murray and Rousek, or newer like Nadeau and Cedarqvist.

Metsa is a very interesting pick. Looked like a player last spring and certainly did this weekend. Unlike the above guys, he does have a path as a right D.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Bisons fun fact:  Long time Bisons broadcaster and Buffalo baseball HOF member Duke McGuire was one of the teammates in The Natural.

https://buffalonews.com/news/mcguire-a-natural-for-hall-bisons-longtime-voice-behind-the-microphone-is-baseball-royalty-in/article_46411e6c-4b14-5032-9e03-d2ebca699542.html

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, Archie Lee said:

Tyson Kozak. He'll be in Buffalo at some point this season. Peca raved about him last season. Energy guy, plays with grit, can score, plays hard every shift, draws penalties, will be a very solid 4th liner. He'll get a look this season. He started last season banged up and but once he got going he was one of the more reliable players on the Amerks down the stretch. I was at prospects tournament on Friday night and he was outstanding again.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Bisons fun fact:  Long time Bisons broadcaster and Buffalo baseball HOF member Duke McGuire was one of the teammates in The Natural.

https://buffalonews.com/news/mcguire-a-natural-for-hall-bisons-longtime-voice-behind-the-microphone-is-baseball-royalty-in/article_46411e6c-4b14-5032-9e03-d2ebca699542.html

Another fun fact...I was at the filming of The Natural as an 9 year old kid along with my mother and aunt.  Way up in the upper deck.  Never made it in the movie...it was the end of October on a freezing cold night with gusty winds and they kept yelling to take your coats off for the scenes because we had to pretend it was summer...needless to say my Mom and Aunt didn't play along for very long and as such I think that precluded them from even considering me, who followed directions 😂

Movies definitely are not as fluid as they appear...endless retakes of the same scene until they got it just right and then long waits to set up the next scene.  I can see why people on movie sets get close...they have tons of time to stand around and socialize with other people.

Edited by matter2003

I know this isn't what you were asking (i already put my input in) but in the hockey news fantasy guide magazine, they ask the panel for their sleeper pick for the NHL season and Ryan Kennedy selected Jiri Kulich.

Everyone else said a player with NHL games under their belts like Byfield or Connor Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:11 PM, IKnowPhysics said:

My FIL Friend played the starting Pittsburgh Pitcher in the final game.

9 minutes ago, Two or less said:

I know this isn't what you were asking (i already put my input in) but in the hockey news fantasy guide magazine, they ask the panel for their sleeper pick for the NHL season and Ryan Kennedy selected Jiri Kulich.

Everyone else said a player with NHL games under their belts like Byfield or Connor Brown.

I can see Kulich being called up if they trade Olofsson or they just get fed up with how he plays. Injuries of course could lead to numerous call ups but Kulich imo is the "sleeper".  I don't actually think anyone makes the opening night roster though. 

I don't think a sleeper making the opening night roster is realistic.  If I have to choose one for opening night, I'll say Isak "Whole Lotta" Rosen -- but I really doubt it will happen.

As for a sleeper to play some games with the Sabres during the season, I'll say Zach Metsa.  I can see him jumping over any or all of Clague, Bryson and Stillman if there are some injuries to the D.

Also, this isn't quite a sleeper, but perhaps an upset:  I'll predict that Comrie stays with the Sabres and UPL doesn't.

On 9/18/2023 at 7:11 PM, IKnowPhysics said:

Duke was Dean of Students or something like that at Amherst High School. He gave you punishments if you broke the rules. Spent a lot of time in his office. He should probably be a judge somewhere. Very fair and had a way of finding out the truth quickly. Duke is awesome. 

My great uncle was in The Natural as well. He's in a couple scenes. 

Edited by Kr632

21 minutes ago, Kr632 said:

Duke was Dean of Students or something like that at Amherst High School. He gave you punishments if you broke the rules. Spent a lot of time in his office. He should probably be a judge somewhere. Very fair and had a way of finding out the truth quickly. Duke is awesome. 

My great uncle was in The Natural as well. He's in a couple scenes. 

I went there, don't remember him... graduated in '82... we had Dr Seller, what year did you graduate?... ps Joe Pod was at our '40 HS Reunion last year. He is in his '90s  and doing well!

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.