GDT: Buffalo vs. New Jersey Prospects Challenge, 7pm

Marvin

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Novikov is gonna be lots of fun in Rochester. He's a sleeping giant. 

I made it a point to focus on him during this tourney and he hasn’t disappointed in the least. You can kinda tell he’s played at a higher level of hockey before. 

Fleming was an interesting surprise. Some additional goalie prospect possibilities down the line. He did a lot of things right and has potential.

There's no question the offensive skill is off the charts for this prospect pool. Not sure how that's all gonna shake out down the line. Too many similar guys looking for the same jobs. We shall see what happens. 

The D not so great imo. Not impressed with Johnson for all the hype. We might want to consider flipping  a few forward prospects to somebody for a few D prospects. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The D not so great imo. Not impressed with Johnson for all the hype.

His skating is impressive and lives up to the hype, but I don’t see him as NHL-ready and I think that’s my knock on him. The expectation people seem to have is that he’s ready or near-ready for the Big Show and I don’t see it. If he were any other 22 year old I’d say he did great. The issue is with my expectations. Not saying that’s the case for you as well, but I recognize that’s my issue with him.

It’s the same reason (although inverted) Fleming was such an impressive goalie. I had zero expectations for him. He exceeded zero by a mile.

Metsa as well. Metsa is on an AHL contract so my expectation would be that he’d be pretty far behind Johnson in readiness, but Metsa, as of today, isn’t.

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

His skating is impressive and lives up to the hype, but I don’t see him as NHL-ready and I think that’s my knock on him. The expectation people seem to have is that he’s ready or near-ready for the Big Show and I don’t see it. If he were any other 22 year old I’d say he did great. The issue is with my expectations. Not saying that’s the case for you as well, but I recognize that’s my issue with him.

It’s the same reason (although inverted) Fleming was such an impressive goalie. I had zero expectations for him. He exceeded zero by a mile.

Metsa as well. Metsa is on an AHL contract so my expectation would be that he’d be pretty far behind Johnson in readiness, but Metsa, as of today, isn’t.

Actually, Metsa should be ahead of Johnson as immediately after winning the national championship, he signed with the Amerks and gained huge experience in the 13 playoff games he played in. Not sure what others are seeing, but Johnson has looked good in the two games. Him and Metsa just might be paired in Rochester, too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Is there a reliable, single location for all of these prospects? Perhaps it's because the summer was long, but the game tonight was really fun to watch.

Where did Josh Fleming come from? is he this kid?

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=253029

They better makes sure this guy is in our pipeline. Ratzlaff looked pretty good yesterday but Fleming stand out over him IMHO.

In other news, I thought Johnson was pretty good.

Metsa was good until I noticed he was 24 already.

Nikita Novikov stands out.

Savoie and Benson look good, of course. 

Isak Rosén was good.

Edited by ...
One man's cut-n-paste is another man's trash.

Rosen has grown a lot, he looks bigger and much more aggressive attacking the zone.  He's impressed me along with Johnson and Metsa.  Matthew Savoie looks fantastic as do Benson and Kulich.  The German defenseman made some really nice plays (I know it begins with a "P").  Really impressed with what I've seen.  You see little ripples with Kisakov and Neuchev as well!

Lots of positives through 2 games. Great combo of size and speed on display

Our Goalie pipeline is looking much better. Fleming looked real solid. Calm cool and collected.

Rosen is a stud.

For the most part the Sabres team D was sound. When NJ was pressing the Sabres kept the play to the outside and NJ never really got many scoring chances.

Penalty kill on the 5 and 3

Team sticking up for each other with scrums at the end was a positive 

That was fun Sabres prospect hockey, once again we dominated.

Edited by ddaryl

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.