Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #72 Tage Thompson

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #72 Tage Thompson  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Tage Thompson this year?

• Pretty much more of the same, he is a legitimate star
    • A moderate slide, he’ll still be a #1C, just more of an ordinary one
    • Maybe 30 goals/60 point max? Last year was an aberration
    • He’s going to break 50 goals and 100 points and cement himself as a franchise all-timer

Remember almost exactly one year ago, when all we were talking about was the wisdom (or lack thereof) of signing big #72 to a 7-year, $50 million contract? Tage erased any and all questions with the 13th-most productive season in Buffalo Sabres history. Only 4 men have ever scored more goals in a season in a Sabres jersey and none in the past 30 years. Thompson parlayed one of the most impressive highlight reels of anyone in recent memory to a spot on the periphery of most NHL “10 best centre’ lists.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177831

People talk about his injury hampering him down the stretch. The raw numbers show a player who finished the year with 6 goals and 14 points while compiling a -10 over his final 19 games. If he wants to cement the elite player talk, he’s going to have to prove the final month wasn’t a product of a more prepared, determined opposition. And he’s going to have to improve his play in those areas that aren't about creating offence.

What do you expect from Thompson this year?
(Last year’s takes here)

When was the last time we've had a forward as entertaining as Tage?

He always looked skilled, but it's hard to believe this is the same player we watched in 2019 — the confidence and authority with which he handles and shoots the puck.

I think his physical presence is highly underrated on Sabrespace.

Neither he, nor Tuch beat people up, but they are both so massive and difficult to match up with, and they play hard.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

He always looked skilled, but it's hard to believe this is the same player we watched in 2019 — the confidence and authority with which he handles and shoots the puck.

Neither he, nor Tuch beat people up, but they are both so massive and difficult to match up with, and they play hard.

Messrs. Briere and Afinogenov are proffered.

Completely agree with the rest.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/31/2023 at 3:11 PM, dudacek said:

I agree with everything you said about how entertaining and productive (goal scoring) Tage and that line are. I don't think it is an exaggeration to make the claim that they are one of the better first lines in the league. The issue I will be watching for is whether this prolific line can modify their style of play a little where it plays a tighter game in their defensive zone. The same adjustment in style also applies to the other lines. In my view, that is the issue that is going to determine a greater level of team success. We will soon get a better notion when camp begins whether the coaching staff is going to make playing a two-way game a point of emphasis. 

14 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Matthews is really good. I wish he didn't play for them

Not this year though

TNT is gonna explode

I find Matthews is injury prone, missing 10-20 games every season. It limits his goal totals.

If McJesus is still p****d at Matthews winning the Hart because of 60 goals and wants to score lots then TNT will have to bring his A+ game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.