Sabres Trade Ilya Lyubushkin to Anaheim for a 2025 4th Round Pick

Brawndo

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't particularly like this move.  It now makes the depth after the top 6, Stillman (who is lousy), Bryson (who is worse), and Clague who is marginally better than the other 2. 

There has to be more going on.  This looks like a cap dump of a decent 3rd pairing D for a team that already has $ 6 mill plus in cap room.  Unless KA is planning on bringing in a bigger $ contract like Pesce or Hellebuyck, this does not look like a positive move for this coming season.

But we've never seen Adams clear cap to bring in anyone. It's more likely just a way to start clearing up the defense and also getting us to 23 on the NHL roster. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

....and then there were 9 NHL D.

Hopefully this is a sign that something bigger is brewing, like a goalie.

I doubt that his trade had anything to do with bringing in a goalie. 

This trade has me perplexed. Even if he were on the fourth pair, he not only would have upgraded the lower pairings but was good enough to move up to the third pairing when injuries hit. 

Ryan Johnson will probably start the season in Rochester. It won't be a surprise if sometime in the season he will be wearing a Sabre jersey.

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But we've never seen Adams clear cap to bring in anyone. It's more likely just a way to start clearing up the defense and also getting us to 23 on the NHL roster. 

So you’re saying it’s the Sabres being cheap?  KA saving a few $ vs what’s best for the team as they try to turn the corner.  

PS: KA hasn't been within 5 miles of the cap since year 1 and the subsequent teardown, but we have seen him make moves to avoid spending money.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • dislike 1

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So you’re saying it’s the Sabres being cheap?  KA saving a few $ vs what’s best for the team as they try to turn the corner.  

PS: KA hasn't been within 5 miles of the cap since year 1 and the subsequent teardown, but we have seen him make moves to avoid spending money.  

No, I'm not saying any of that. Go read what a write again and stop adding a bunch of crap to my post. 

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Quint said:

He was physical.

Reputedly. I rarely saw it out of him.

I am a little surprised over how much concern there is here regarding the move.

I’ve read that he wanted to be somewhere where he’d play more. So the team appears to have done right by the player.

As for the concern about depth: He apparently didn’t want to be a 7/8 dman on an aspiring playoff team. He wants to be a 4/5/6 on a rebuilding team (?).

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Reputedly. I rarely saw it out of him.

I am a little surprised over how much concern there is here regarding the move.

I’ve read that he wanted to be somewhere where he’d play more. So the team appears to have done right by the player.

As for the concern about depth: He apparently didn’t want to be a 7/8 dman on an aspiring playoff team. He wants to be a 4/5/6 on a rebuilding team (?).

Doing right for the player is what losing franchises do. We continue to be sad sack.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

I too like Boosh. He was physical. Not a lot of Sabres defensemen are physical. You need big, hard-nose defensemen to clear the front of the net. Hopefully they don't fill the D-ranks with fancy-Dans.

Clifton doesn’t have a ton of size, but he plays a hard physical game, would have led the Sabres in hits last year by nearly double our hit leader (208 vs. Samuelson’s 107)

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Doing right for the player is what losing franchises do. We continue to be sad sack.

Agreed. Feels like we finally had a bit of d depth and they make this trade?  He’s getting paid more than anyone can dream to play hockey.  

This summer already feels like a huge missed opportunity to ensure the Sabres take the next step.  This trade is the cherry on top…

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I think there might be a little divide between how some people think Boosh played and how he actually played last season.  

This might have been Boosh reading the tea leaves and asking to be moved to somewhere that he could play a regular shift.

I don't think Boosh was amazing or anything but if we see an injury or two I would feel better running him out there than Stillman/Bryson/more E Johnson minutes etc.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Lol you either over value Boosh or just want to bitch. 

10 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Maybe there was some off ice issue we don't know about? 

No, he wanted to play and he wasn't going to in Buffalo so Adams found him a spot in Anaheim. It's pretty straightforward. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Radar said:

If Terry sells the Sabres   

PA will sing the franchises praises as it seems his real problem is who owns the team.

I've always sung it. The franchise is awesome. It's my country. I sure as hell can say the government sucks.

You're right about the last sentence tho. I honestly don't understand how a fan could not agree.

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol you either over value Boosh or just want to bitch. 

No, he wanted to play and he wasn't going to in Buffalo so Adams found him a spot in Anaheim. It's pretty straightforward. 

Jay McKee's shin guard says hello.

I get it tho. That fifth round pick is gonna be a stud.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No, I'm not saying any of that. Go read what a write again and stop adding a bunch of crap to my post. 

There were easier and frankly smarter ways to reduce the logjam on D to get us to 23 players without trading away our 6th or 7th best defender, such as getting rid of Bryson and waiving Clague back to Rochester. Instead, he traded away our highest salaried depth D and kept lesser players with lesser salaries.  You can argue that Bush had the most trade value of the depth D, but the goal this season, I thought, was to field the best possible team, not to save a few bucks. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do you honestly not get tired of being bitch to 31 other teams?

PA, I certainly understand your and the rest of the fans frustration with the franchises long drought. I share that frustration. As far as this being your country and the right to say our government sucks? Again I agree with you. As a veteran who served during Vietnam I can say I would not serve again under our current government....... it sucks. My issue is that your feelings seem to be personal against the Pegulas not merely questioning their decisions. Frankly I think our team is now headed in the right direction but only time will tell. My comments are not personal toward you only my take on your past posts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.