Rick Jeanneret: 1942–2023

PromoTheRobot

Is there any info on services? Will anything be streamed?

In a way it feels like we had our proper public goodbye last April and now he belongs to the family. I wouldn't blame them for keeping things private.

It still feels like there's something we need to do for closure.

59 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is there any info on services? Will anything be streamed?

In a way it feels like we had our proper public goodbye last April and now he belongs to the family. I wouldn't blame them for keeping things private.

It still feels like there's something we need to do for closure.

I just went to Sabres Live archives on Audacy and listened to Doc Emerrick talk about RJ.  He last comments are quite powerful and they sum up the RJ and WNY relationship.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

I don't see anything about this. I think her name is Carmen. 

I couldn’t find anything either. Playfair was on near the very end of Duff & Marty’s 3 hour show. 

[edited] found the archive.  Playfair is on near the end. 

https://www.audacy.com/podcast/sabres-live-340e9/episodes/more-thoughts-on-rick-jeanneret-and-his-passing-8c15b

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

I have tears from reading the wonderful tributes to this great man.  For me that's the top, middle and bottom lines.  He was a great man.

He will be fondly missed.  

Rick was the voice of my youth, my teens, my 20s, 30s, 40s and most of my 50s.  Every minute was pure joy.

He knew where the cookies were 'cus he was top-shelf himself.

• Like (+1) 5

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Not sure why this of all comments brought tears: Jason Woolley said that Rick's was the voice heard round the hockey world.

Perfect.

His calls stuck to players. Twenty four years later it came back to Jason.

There’s more players who remember RJs calls for them than most announcers. He had a true gift at making the memorable even more poignant and the mundane entertaining.

I seriously feel bad for Dunleavy since no matter how good of a PbP guy, he’s following a literal man amongst boys in PbP

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Suspenders?

Goal song is clip of Rodney Dangerfield insulting a cocktail waitress he met in Jersey?

Stop teasing us with that 11 of yours!

Terry Pegula saying "this is for you, Rick," at the Cup presentation.  Thought it would have been obvious!

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Terry Pegula saying "this is for you, Rick," at the Cup presentation.  Thought it would have been obvious!

Maybe Bettman. I don't think the owner is involved.

How about this. Bettman walks out the thunderous boos. He starts and stops and starts and stops. Finally he says fine, you do it, Rick. And Rick comes on the video screen.

Again I pray someone thought to ask Rick to record the magic words.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the nicest tribute that could be paid to Rick on opening night is to simply have his family and friends come out and Cupcake can drop the puck. No more blaring NOW DO YOU BELIEVEs. We've done it enough. He was more than that. The patch is a nice idea. Maybe something on the ice. I also like the idea of a moment of noise. Certainly not silence!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I think the nicest tribute that could be paid to Rick on opening night is to simply have his family and friends come out and Cupcake can drop the puck. No more blaring NOW DO YOU BELIEVEs. We've done it enough. He was more than that. The patch is a nice idea. Maybe something on the ice. I also like the idea of a moment of noise. Certainly not silence!

What a great idea @PASabreFan  . Particularly because of RJ’s reference  to his ‘Beautiful Noise’ at the RJ Night celebration ceremony. He would have certainly been on board with that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Beautiful noise...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

RJ’s Initials behind the nets for the entire season similar to what they did for Martin and with the number 7, along with the patch.

The Statue needs to be a Rick in a booth calling the PBP, but you are right he is the greatest Sabre of all time 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.