You’re a free agent with 31 identical offers, which 5 teams do you negotiate with?

Porous Five Hole

Suggested by @RochesterExpat, you’re a free agent and 31 teams (Buffalo is the only one missing) have made you identical offers. Which 5 teams do you want your agent to negotiate with? For me:

1) Tampa (I used to live there and liked it.  Ownership commitment is off the charts)

2) Vegas (I like warm temps and I love the city because I’m a degenerate)

3) Colorado (Denver is a cool town and they’re good)

4) Anaheim (California dreamin’ for young athletes seems fun)

5) Washington (committed ownership and DC region is decent winter climate)

And you?

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 1

Where is this hypothetical player from?

If American and from Minn - Colorado, Minn, Det, NSH and Dallas

If American and Mass - Colorado, Bos, TB, NSH and Pit

if American and from Mich/Wis - Colorado, Det, Minn, NSH & Dallas

if American and from NY (or other Eastern states besides Mass) - TB, NSH, Bos, Pit and Wash

If Western Canadian - LV, Colorado, Sea, Dallas and Chicago

If Eastern Canadian - NSH, TB, Boston, Pit and Det

If European - TB, Det, LV, Colorado and Dallas

If Russian - TB, Det, Wash, Dallas and Colorado

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I don't think it's that simple. First off I think you look for friends on the rosters, then coaches you know, locations near relatives, big cities if you're young, and then you move on to their rosters and how do you fit in. I'm likely not choosing a team that has half a dozen prospects waiting at my position. My days could be numbered there. Chances of winning a cup also factor in but that's harder to judge. Tax laws as well of course. Different for everybody. 

All things being somewhat equal though,

1. Tampa

2. Florida

3. Vegas

4. L.A.

5. Probably an original six. Would have been Boston before, maybe Chicago now. Not Toronto or Montreal, too much pressure. 

Seattle, Dallas, Nashville, Colorado honourable mention. 

• Like (+1) 1

Montreal -- who doesn't want a chance to play with Montreal?

Vancouver -- I hear it's beautiful.

Chicago -- I don't like the idea that the Blackhawks are seventh in popularity out of six major league teams there, but I do love that city.

Minnesota--seems like St. Paul would be a cool place.  Good fans.

Colorado--Inoffensive enough.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

1. Tampa - this is by far the cream of the crop. Good climate, taxes, fan base - class organization. I could only hope they would want to sign me!

2. Carolina - Good climate, fan base - committed and savvy organization. 

3. Dallas - Good climate, decent fan base that has good passion making up for lack of knowledge (although it is better than it was 20 years ago), taxes - good organization committed to winning. 

4. St. Louis - great fan base, climate, committed organization, tax rate is solid

5. Colorado - good fan base, interesting climate, beautiful region, outside of sales tax - not to shabby. Organization is committed

I am surprised how easy this top 5 was for me...I would have loved to put Florida on here - but I lived in Ft. Lauderdale years ago - and I know how bad the fan base can be. Hockey is a lonely world when they are not on top. 

I have a tax question that has been talked about on the radio before as it pertained to money directed towards building a stadium. Do players on an opposing out of state team pay the state taxes for games in the visiting jurisdiction. Isn't it comparable to a worker for a company paying the required tax for the location he is working in? 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have a tax question that has been talked about on the radio before as it pertained to money directed towards building a stadium. Do players on an opposing out of state team pay the state taxes for games in the visiting jurisdiction. Isn't it comparable to a worker for a company paying the required tax for the location he is working in? 

Yes. So it’s only half the games you are getting that tax break on. But WGAF anyway. How many NHL players are actually motivated by money? I doubt it’s many.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

Ok, I can see where different tastes might lead you to the first four on the list...but COLUMBUS?!  Do strip malls and laminated menus really excite you that much?

I have been to several games in Columbus and I like the passion in the fan base.  I'm not much of a big city guy, so I stayed away from NY, Chicago, and all the California teams.

23 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yes. So it’s only half the games you are getting that tax break on. But WGAF anyway. How many NHL players are actually motivated by money? I doubt it’s many.

Thanks for your knowledgeable response. I agree with you that other considerations such as the issue of opportunity to play and best situation from a variety of standpoints override the money issue.

1 - Dallas because it's close to where I live now and I think the organization is relatively well-run with a fun mix of young and old players.

2 - Seattle because it's an opportunity to have an impact on a new franchise.

3 - Pittsburgh to play with Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Karlsson

4 - Carolina because I want to know what Rod's workout program is.

5 - Boston because team culture (even with Bergeron and Krejci leaving)

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

My fat ass is getting a lamborghini

Which one?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.