Sabres sign Kale Clague to a 2 way deal

Brawndo

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

This sure doesn’t discourage me from thinking Jokiharju or another D is getting traded.

The Sabres now have 10 defencemen who played at least 30 NHL games last year and 9 of them played at least 50.

Especially when you look at Rochester.  They have 7 D as well.  That’s 17D in the top 2 levels of the organization. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This sure doesn’t discourage me from thinking Jokiharju or another D is getting traded.

Yeah... I think you're right.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Especially when you look at Rochester.  They have 7 D as well.  That’s 17D in the top 2 levels of the organization. 

It's a good signing for the Amerks. His $475k AHL guarantee should get him to clear waivers at the beginning of the season, but like Fitz last year, if a team has some injuries and knows they're playoff bound, he won't likely clear later in the season.

• Like (+1) 1

Wow.  Expected him back if only 1 D was added.  Didn't expect him to come back with 2 guys added though did believe it was possible.

Guess nobody else was going to give him nearly a half mil to play in the AHL.  For those saying Pegula is cheap and he won't let Adams retain salary on Olofsson, he is now spending $150k shy of $1MM for the guy who may possibly be his BACKUP AHL goalie (should at least 1 of UPL or Comrie still be in the organization in October and #3 on the depth chart) and the D-man that is currently somewhere between 9 and 11 on the overall depth chart.  He absolutely will let Adams retain salary if it improves the deal there.

And this is further proof that the Sabres will most likely be running 8D on the 23 man roster on opening night.  

Edited by Taro T
Edit: Tokarski is getting $400k, not $500k. Oops.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And this is further proof that the Sabres will most likely be running 8D on the 23 man roster on opening night.  

I think this is a possibility. Maybe there are games where they dress 7D.

Marty was saying yesterday that coaches like 8D to run through the drills.

This also tells me that 3 goalies is not in the cards if they carry 8D.

Just now, French Collection said:

I think this is a possibility. Maybe there are games where they dress 7D.

Marty was saying yesterday that coaches like 8D to run through the drills.

This also tells me that 3 goalies is not in the cards if they carry 8D.

Have been pointing out the bolded for a few years now.  It makes practice way easier to run as you not only have a D-pair resting up at either end of a drill you also are only rotating 1 F through the lines in drills rather than 2.

And also believe the Tokaraski signing showed that they were only keeping 2 goalies in Buffalo.  Whether they trade whoever will be 3 on the depth chart after Adams is done adding talent to today's roster or try to waive that guy and fail; they have a guy at 4 (presently, 3 in that scenario) that they trust for a game or 2 should he absolutely be needed to step in and either finish a game or actually get a start to give the healthy guy of the top 2 a rest.

Unless they are really light on F's, don't see them running 7D in a game.

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Don’t waist your time. If Benson starts on the 3rd line when he gets to Buffalo then he will always be a 3rd liner. There is no possible way he can move up to the top 6 because he played on the 3rd line.🤪

Oh man, I'm just envisioning a year from now with Benson on the 3rd line and Krebs as his center. Give them Kulich and they'll stir up some *****

12 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Then we still need a #3 Dman lol

Normally I'd agree, but most teams don't have Dahlin and Power

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have been pointing out the bolded for a few years now.  It makes practice way easier to run as you not only have a D-pair resting up at either end of a drill you also are only rotating 1 F through the lines in drills rather than 2.

But is making it easier to practice worth the possibility of carry a guy who sits in the press box for a month straight? I’m not crazy about that one. 

And then there’s the cap implications if you’re finally a team up near the cap. For any team there, I’d much rather stop one short of the max roster, so one extra forward, one extra D. 

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

But is making it easier to practice worth the possibility of carry a guy who sits in the press box for a month straight? I’m not crazy about that one. 

And then there’s the cap implications if you’re finally a team up near the cap. For any team there, I’d much rather stop one short of the max roster, so one extra forward, one extra D. 

The Sabres aren't a team near the cap.  And MOST teams will carry 23 on the roster with only 2 Gs.  So, you either run 8D or you run 14F's.  When they had 14F's early in the year how long did Sheahan, then Asplund, then Hinostroza spend in the press box?  You aren't going to keep a kid in the press box which would almost necessarily happen should the Sabres try to keep 14Fs.

With the current D-corps, Stillman is the 8.  He's probably getting waiver claimed.  Kulich is likely the 14, he's waiver exempt.  Which one do you expect goes down?

Edited by Taro T

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The Sabres aren't a team near the cap.  And MOST teams will carry 23 on the roster with only 2 Gs.  So, you either run 8D or you run 14F's.  When they had 14F's early in the year how long did Sheahan, then Asplund, then Hinostroza spend in the press box?  You aren't going to keep a kid in the press box which would almost necessarily happen should the Sabres try to keep 14Fs.

With the current D-corps, Stillman is the 8.  He's probably getting waiver claimed.  Kulich is likely the 14, he's waiver exempt.  Which one do you expect goes down?

I don’t think they’re done, so I don’t know how to answer that question right now. 

And the cap stuff wasn’t sabre-specific, at least not this year. I would be curious to see just how many teams do carry the full 23 the majority of the time. There’s now way Toronto was with the cap gymnastics they’re constantly playing. I’d also imagine there’s a difference from east/west on teams that do. 

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don’t think they’re done, so I don’t know how to answer that question right now. 

And the cap stuff wasn’t sabre-specific, at least not this year. I would be curious to see just how many teams do carry the full 23 the majority of the time. There’s now way Toronto was with the cap gymnastics they’re constantly playing. I’d also imagine there’s a difference from east/west on teams that do. 

The Leafs were dressing an ATO goalie as a backup in a few games just to save a few thousand dollars towards the cap.

Genuinely surprised by this.

Dahlin Mule

Power Clifton

Stillman/Joki/Johnson/Boosh

Clague

and I missed Bryson

That is 8 legit NHLers and a solid tweener insurance policy, and a less solid tweener..

Im starting to think like Dudacek, KA ain’t done and he is collecting pcs so we have some depth after another move is made.

Edited by Weave

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Genuinely surprised by this.

Dahlin Mule

Power Clifton

Stillman/Joki/Johnson/Boosh

Clague

and I missed Bryson

That is 8 legit NHLers and a solid tweener insurance policy, and a less solid tweener..

Im starting to think like Dudacek, KA ain’t done and he is collecting pcs so we have some depth after another move is made.

That does seem to make sense, but I don’t feel KA is going to do anything….. Oh, how I wish it were true….

LOL…. One of these days….

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.