Defense remake underway! Who is moving on?

GASabresIUFAN

Top 3 - Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson

New signings Johnson and Clifton

Other returning players - Lyubushkin, Jokiharju, Stillman, Bryson

That’s 9 guys with NHL contracts. Someone is on the way out.

Love the Clifton signing. He’s physical, good Pker and good defensively.

Like Johnson as well.  Leader, playoff experience, physical and will be good in a depth role.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

My guesses: Bryson is out. Stillman is 7th. Joki/Boosh will be getting shopped. Likely Joki is moved because age*

*makes it easier to move

Bryson should be the guy who is moved, but he has little or no trade value.  I predicted when the season ended that Joki would end up getting traded.  He’s young enough to have decent trade value and seems the most likely guy to get moved given who they signed.  

What is interesting, Bush, Stillman and E. Johnson are on one year deals.  This creates a real opportunity for R Johnson in 2024/25 to make the Sabres 

• Like (+1) 2

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Defense remake underway! Who is moving on?
13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Trade Joker, Stillman is #7, and Bryson replaces Pilut in Rochester.  

Why drop to fewer than 8 legit NHLers?  Run 13-8-2.  

If Graves or another better D shows up, then punt one.  Or if a goalie trade partner wants a D in the package then punt one.  Otherwise, don't see a reason to get rid of 1 just to get rid of him.

Leave Bryson & Johnson in the AHL to be depth should they see a run on D injuries like they had in last year's western road trip.

Wonder who signs Clague?  Only way he's back now is if nobody else gives him a reasonable shot to make the parent club and Buffalo gives him the same (or better) pay to play in the A.  He'd be 10 or 11 on the depth chart at this moment.  (Absolute best case for him would be he's the 9 here.)

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Trade Joker, Stillman is #7, and Bryson replaces Pilut in Rochester.  

I don't know why I love Jokiharju as much as I do, but I do.  And still this is the right move.

Just now, Taro T said:

Why drop to fewer than 8 legit NHLers?  Run 13-8-2.  

Because right now they're running 13-7-3.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I don't know why I love Jokiharju as much as I do, but I do.  And still this is the right move.

Because right now they're running 13-7-3.

They need to be willing to risk sending Comrie to the Amerks after they get a better 2/ 1A/B guy.  (UPL too if necessary.)

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Taro T said:

They need to be willing to risk sending Comrie to the Amerks after they get a better 2/ 1A/B guy.  (UPL too if necessary.)

There's the keyword.  And one of their suddenly-surplus D might have to move to get that goalie.

• Like (+1) 2

Right now I think we’ll see Clifton and Jokiharju battle for the 4D spot and being Power’s partner. The loser will be 5D with Stillman, Boosh, and Johnson fighting for 6D. I think we end up carrying 8D and end up picking one of UPL/Comrie to keep on the roster. Bryson I think gets sent to Rochester and probably clears waivers at camp. 
We could also see Jokiharju flipped for a solid 3rd pairing Ld or part of a package for a 4D.

There’s also a wacky idea of trying to run 3 balanced pairings. 

Dahlin-Johnson

Power-Clifton

Samuelson-Jokiharju

The idea of this would be to run Power-Clifton on 2nd pairing minutes, while the other pairs play 3rd pair minutes. Samuelson-Dahlin take on extra shifts, especially in important moments to make up the difference. It may not be effective, but I am a little worried about having 2 righties on a third pair. Dahlin has the talent to thrive on his off hand, but I doubt our third pairing players can, and I prefer Stillman as a 7/8 D.

4 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Right now I think we’ll see Clifton and Jokiharju battle for the 4D spot and being Power’s partner. The loser will be 5D with Stillman, Boosh, and Johnson fighting for 6D. I think we end up carrying 8D and end up picking one of UPL/Comrie to keep on the roster. Bryson I think gets sent to Rochester and probably clears waivers at camp. 
We could also see Jokiharju flipped for a solid 3rd pairing Ld or part of a package for a 4D.

There’s also a wacky idea of trying to run 3 balanced pairings. 

Dahlin-Johnson

Power-Clifton

Samuelson-Jokiharju

The idea of this would be to run Power-Clifton on 2nd pairing minutes, while the other pairs play 3rd pair minutes. Samuelson-Dahlin take on extra shifts, especially in important moments to make up the difference. It may not be effective, but I am a little worried about having 2 righties on a third pair. Dahlin has the talent to thrive on his off hand, but I doubt our third pairing players can, and I prefer Stillman as a 7/8 D.

Sorry, but no way Mule gets 3rd pair minutes....too much defensive ability lost there....the only way he's not on the ice is for the PP or if he's injured.

Maybe @Thorny is getting his wish and we will follow the handedness chart:

• Dahlin Clifton
  • Power Johnson
  • Samuelsson Jokiharju

as a base, drop to:

• Mule Dahlin
  • Power Clifton 

When we are protecting a lead and

• Mule Dahlin
  • Power Joki

when we need a goal?

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Sorry, but no way Mule gets 3rd pair minutes....too much defensive ability lost there....the only way he's not on the ice is for the PP or if he's injured.

He’d still be getting lots of minutes with his PK time and when the bench gets shortened.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

Maybe @Thorny is getting his wish and we will follow the handedness chart:

• Dahlin Clifton
  • Power Johnson
  • Samuelsson Jokiharju

as a base, drop to:

• Mule Dahlin
  • Power Clifton 

When we are protecting a lead and

• Mule Dahlin
  • Power Joki

when we need a goal?

Yes, I got a kick out of our top 2 D draft picks and top 2 D roster additions being right shots

Thanks for asking 

10 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

If they were to run something like this, Samuelson would still be getting top 4 minutes. He’d still be getting PK time, and he’d be getting ~3-7 minutes a night with Dahlin on top of his time with his other partner. 

Whispers, Samuelsson is not very good at defense yet. 

I still love him as a player, but 

His analytics are not on par with his reputation amongst the fan base is right now.

The team W/L record with and without him might is probably an indicator how bad the depth was last season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Bryson along with Ryan Johnson.    

Maybe I’m in a field of my own, but I seem to think Ryan Johnson is further away from the NHL than most people here do.

Among prospects, Novikov is probably closer to NHL ready (after his NA-adjustment period for the first few months this year end).

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Whispers, Samuelsson is not very good at defense yet. 

I still love him as a player, but 

His analytics are not on par with his reputation amongst the fan base is right now.

The team W/L record with and without him might is probably an indicator how bad the depth was last season.

I've been meaning to talk about this at some point this summer. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.