Prospect pool, summer 2023

dudacek

https://theathletic.com/4778405/2023/08/21/nhl-pipeline-rankings-2023-prospects/

The Athletics’ Pronman has begun his pipeline rankings. The list has 25-32 so far comprised of perennial playoff teams and the NYI.  

25. Colorado Avalanche

26. Vegas Golden Knights

27. Toronto Maple Leafs

28. Edmonton Oilers

29. Pittsburgh Penguins

30. New York Islanders

31. Tampa Bay Lightning

32. Boston Bruins

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/4778405/2023/08/21/nhl-pipeline-rankings-2023-prospects/

The Athletics’ Pronman has begun his pipeline rankings. The list has 25-32 so far comprised of perennial playoff teams and the NYI.  

25. Colorado Avalanche

26. Vegas Golden Knights

27. Toronto Maple Leafs

28. Edmonton Oilers

29. Pittsburgh Penguins

30. New York Islanders

31. Tampa Bay Lightning

32. Boston Bruins

It’s so sad that the Bruins, Lightning, and Leafs rank so low. 

Pronman’s updates on team’s pipelines. https://theathletic.com/4778405/2023/08/22/nhl-pipeline-rankings-2023-prospects/

9. Seattle Kraken

10. Minnesota Wild

11. Philadelphia Flyers

12. Arizona Coyotes

13. San Jose Sharks

14. Carolina Hurricanes

15. New York Rangers

16. Nashville Predators

17. Dallas Stars

18. St. Louis Blues

19. Winnipeg Jets

20. Los Angeles Kings

21. Calgary Flames

22. Washington Capitals

23. Florida Panthers

24. Vancouver Canucks

25. Colorado Avalanche

26. Vegas Golden Knights

27. Toronto Maple Leafs

28. Edmonton Oilers

29. Pittsburgh Penguins

30. New York Islanders

31. Tampa Bay Lightning

32. Boston Bruins

The Atlantic is getting deeper by the day.  The 4 playoff teams have nearly barren pipelines ranking 23-32, while Mon, Buf, Ott and Det all rank in the top 8.  

• Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/4794167/2023/08/24/buffalo-sabres-nhl-prospect-pipeline-rankings/

Buffalo 3rd on Pronman’s list behind Anaheim and Chicago. Montreal, Ottawa and Det 6-8 respectively.

As this is a list of all players 22 and under, Cozens is 1 and Power 2.  

Quinn 3, Benson 4, JJP 5, Kulich 6, Östlund 7, Savoie 8, Krebs 9, and Wahlberg 10. 

Surprises besides Wahlberg at 10. On the negative, Levi at 12, Rosen 15, Johnson 17, Poltapov at 19 and Novikov in others. Positive surprises were Strbak at 11, Nadeau 13 and McCarthy 14.  

In Pronman’s defense on some of these rankings he is looking at where he thinks they’ll fit in the NHL at their peak.  Personally I find it hard to agree that McCarthy is more likely to be a solid NHLer than Novikov. I also think Johnson has as good if not better of a future as Strbak but I’m pleased with his positive opinion of Max.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Ironic that the Sabres' 12th best prospect, per Pronman, may be the player - not just prospect - most important to the team's success this coming season.

Which makes the rankings a little suspect.  Also no way Krebs, who I like, has more upside potential than Levi.  I think Corey size bias is showing.  

• Like (+1) 1

Corey def has a major size bias. 

Levi at 12 is hilarious. But never count your chickens before the hatch and all that.

Novikov is a big old mystery box. Didn't turn 20 until July and played in a league that limits young guys ice time and offense. Should be fun. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Corey def has a major size bias. 

Levi at 12 is hilarious. But never count your chickens before the hatch and all that.

Novikov is a big old mystery box. Didn't turn 20 until July and played in a league that limits young guys ice time and offense. Should be fun. 

I’m as intrigued by Novikov as I’ve been by any Sabres prospect in recent memory. I just have a feeling we are gonna be seeing him in the show much sooner than later. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m as intrigued by Novikov as I’ve been by any Sabres prospect in recent memory. I just have a feeling we are gonna be seeing in the show much sooner than later. 

If you add Ryan Johnson to the defensive prospect pool with Novikov you can see the unit filling out in the not-too-distant future. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Johnson ends up playing in Buffalo sometime this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/4794167/2023/08/24/buffalo-sabres-nhl-prospect-pipeline-rankings/

Buffalo 3rd on Pronman’s list behind Anaheim and Chicago. Montreal, Ottawa and Det 6-8 respectively.

As this is a list of all players 22 and under, Cozens is 1 and Power 2.  

Quinn 3, Benson 4, JJP 5, Kulich 6, Östlund 7, Savoie 8, Krebs 9, and Wahlberg 10. 

Surprises besides Wahlberg at 10. On the negative, Levi at 12, Rosen 15, Johnson 17, Poltapov at 19 and Novikov in others. Positive surprises were Strbak at 11, Nadeau 13 and McCarthy 14.  

In Pronman’s defense on some of these rankings he is looking at where he thinks they’ll fit in the NHL at their peak.  Personally I find it hard to agree that McCarthy is more likely to be a solid NHLer than Novikov. I also think Johnson has as good if not better of a future as Strbak but I’m pleased with his positive opinion of Max.

I take our prospect base easily over both Anaheim and Chicago

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I take our prospect base easily over both Anaheim and Chicago

Anaheim you could probably convince me... but if Chicago showed up tomorrow and offered everyone listed here for our everyone listed here, I'd laugh and say no chance. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Anaheim you could probably convince me... but if Chicago showed up tomorrow and offered everyone listed here for our everyone listed here, I'd laugh and say no chance. 

Conor Bedard.  We lack a "franchise forward" in the pipeline.  I agree our pipeline is deeper, but that was probably Pronman's deciding factor.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Conor Bedard.  We lack a "franchise forward" in the pipeline.  I agree our pipeline is deeper, but that was probably Pronman's deciding factor.

I understand why he did it but Pronman is just not great, interesting but his criteria is wishy washy at best. Would I rather have Connor Bedard or Cozens, Power, Quinn, Peterka, and Benson... I would take the latter.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

A Sabre is on this list. 

Pretty good ranking. I liked the pick and can’t wait to see him develop.

He was drafted 12th and yet is rated 6th out of all NHL prospects by EP Rinkside. Previous drafts included.

”no passing lane is too small”

“endless motor”

”best defensive stick in his draft”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.