Prospect pool, summer 2023

dudacek

https://theathletic.com/4665592/2023/07/19/nhl-draft-goalie-prospects-ranking/

Levi is the 3rd rated goalie prospect behind Wallstedt and Askarov, but ahead of Wolf.

And he has exactly the skills smaller goalies need to be successful. Impressive control on his inside and outside edges (and the patience to hold them). Quick feet on his shuffles so that he can stick with dekes and go post-to-post or low-to-high to get to tough pucks. Good hands. Perfect reads on shooters. Excellent tracking through and under traffic. And a battler’s mentality in the net which keeps him in plays even when he looks like he’s down and out. There aren’t a ton of 6-foot goalies in today’s NHL, at least not starting ones, but Levi, like Calgary’s Dustin Wolf, has all of the tools to become one. I’m a believer.

Ratzlaff made HM.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/4665592/2023/07/19/nhl-draft-goalie-prospects-ranking/

Levi is the 3rd rated goalie prospect behind Wallstedt and Askarov, but ahead of Wolf.

Ratzlaff made HM.

I guess size and draft pedigree matter.

Wolf has more experience and has better numbers than Wallstedt and Askarov.

Levi will just use this as fuel.

Edited by French Collection

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Novikov's coming out party is going to be fun. We haven't even seen him unleashed yet. Should be really interesting to see his offensive game grow now that he'll be in Rochester. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Minus Mule’s stint, it feels like it’s been a long while since the Amerks had any D prospects worth watching.

These two right now are possibly no better than 12/13 on the depth chart (9 NHL guys and the tweeners Clague and Davies). There’s a chance they may get lost in the crowd, but Appert has proven to be a coach who plays the kids so I doubt it.

Johnson played 4 full years in college and Novikov was full-time in the KHL. They should be a lot more prepared for the AHL than most rookies and may not be that far away from the NHL.

It will be very interesting to see where they are come spring.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Minus Mule’s stint, it feels like it’s been a long while since the Amerks had any D prospects worth watching.

FYI:

17-18 - Guhle and Nelson

18-19 - Guhle, Pilut and Borgen

19-20 - Bryson, Pilut, Borgen and Fitzgerald

21-22 - Samuelsson Laaksonen

22-23 - 

23-24 - Johnson, Novikov, plus Jandric, Metsa, Savoie

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI:

17-18 - Guhle and Nelson

18-19 - Guhle, Pilut and Borgen

19-20 - Bryson, Pilut, Borgen and Fitzgerald

21-22 - Samuelsson Laaksonen

22-23 - 

23-24 - Johnson, Novikov, plus Jandric, Metsa, Savoie

I liked Borgen and Guhle certainly fits even though I always thought he was kinda overrated.

So basically since then.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm more angry now that Quinn is injured. He's gonna be better than several of the guys listed ahead of him. 

It’s likely he knocked him down a few notches because of the injury. Not Quinn’s fault, but we’ll now see some of those other players get a chance to play catch up. 

The list also shows how hard it is even 3 years out to do a firm ranking.

Just 2 players have played 3 full years and only 4 more have played 2.

You’ve only got 15 players who have played 60 NHL games.

I think you could argue Quinn into the top 5 or down to 12-15 at the moment. Stutzle has certainly stepped out into the lead, but Lafreniere vs Byfield vs Drysdale vs Perfetti vs Quinn vs Lundell vs Guhle etc. could all still go so many ways over the next few years.

Edited by dudacek

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Saw the Finland roster earlier, no surprise Leinonen isn't there.

He was expected to be on the roster prior to his injury. (I think it was Bakes who said this)

Östlund (and his former linemates) and Strbak don’t need this showcase, they will be on their teams if they are made available.

Wish I could say the same for Leinonen.

Dont recall a WJC that had more than 4 Sabres prospects.

This year there could possibly be 6 and maybe more:

Canada: Benson, Savoie

Sweden: Östlund, Wahlberg

Slovakia: Strbak

Germany: Panocha

Kulich, Leinonen, Lindgren, McCarthy and Ratzlaff have histories with their programs and might be longshots (Kulich, only because I suspect he won’t be made available)

Edited by dudacek

Just now, Buffalonill said:

How bust Byfield and Lafrenière are past Quinn just shows wheeler Still holds grudges against quinn .

What a joke 

Whathas Quinn done to prove he's better?

Lafreniere had more goals and more points than Quinn did last year, and done far more over the 3 years since the draft.

You might disagree with his opinion, but it's hardly a joke.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Whathas Quinn done to prove he's better?

Lafreniere had more goals and more points than Quinn did last year, and done far more over the 3 years since the draft.

You might disagree with his opinion, but it's hardly a joke.

Jack Quinn has showed more potential in 1 year then Lafreniere has showed in 3 years .

No one here would trade Quinn for Lafreniere straight up

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Jack Quinn has showed more potential in 1 year then Lafreniere has showed in 3 years .

Big whoop.  No Rags fan would've traded Lafreniere for Eichel straight up.

Fans tend to overvalue their own.  (Or make them into whipping boys.)

And not saying that Quinn won't be better than Lafreniere when all is said and done.  Actually expect him to be significantly better.  But as IIRC @dudacek said, it's not exactly coming out of left field to view Lafreniere as the better player at this point.  (It isn't correct IMHO but it can be supported.)

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Big whoop.  No Rags fan would've traded Lafreniere for Eichel straight up.

Fans tend to overvalue their own.  (Or make them into whipping boys.)

And not saying that Quinn won't be better than Lafreniere when all is said and done.  Actually expect him to be significantly better.  But as IIRC @dudacek said, it's not exactly coming out of left field to view Lafreniere as the better player at this point.  (It isn't correct IMHO but it can be supported.)

Yeah i would doubt  that .

14 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I would!  (I think, it’s very close). Lafreniere isn’t a bust.

27 minutes ago, Curt said:

I would!  (I think, it’s very close). Lafreniere isn’t a bust.

Hes horrible and Zero hockey IQ Slow as mud And has a horrible shot 

He's likely gonna be a 35 -40 point player max

The only reason why he still has shine to to him because he was a first overall pick

Edited by Buffalonill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.