Prospect pool, summer 2023

dudacek

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My summer ranking, post-development camp,  based on how good an NHL player they should become.

Pretty remarkable that the list remains this strong after the graduations or departures of 1 Power, 3 Quinn, 4 Peterka, 7 Krebs, 9 Samuelsson, 10 Portillo, 13 Luukkonen, and 19 Bloom.

I think last year’s pool (ranks in parentheses) could go down as the Sabres greatest of all time.

Should be NHLers, could be really good:

1 Levi (2): my feelings about Levi haven’t changed; he has first-line athleticism and a first-line mental approach to the game and his position. His size is not going to matter. Kid is going to be a star.

2 Benson (NR): I’m going to need more tape and more time, but I would not be surprised to find myself next year writing for Benson what I just wrote about Levi. So much skill, so much hockey IQ, so much compete. The caution flags of size and speed are fair, but I think he has so much small area skill and reads the game so well on both sides of the puck that he can make them irrelevant. First line upside.

3 Savoie (5): A relatively slow start gave me some concern he was one of those guys who might have peaked as a teen, but from Christmas until May he was dominant, posting Dylan Cozens-like D+1 numbers. He’s a piranha out there, a pace-pusher with NHL speed and quickness and a lot of high-end skill. Worst-case scenario I see a middle-six Conner Garland type winger, but he has more upside than that and he might be a top 6 NHL centre.

4 Kulich (8): Nobody in the entire NHL prospect world outperformed their draft position last year like Kulich. The kid has an elite shot and a swagger and a resume that screams crunch-time performer. He’s not slick, but he is strong and skilled and versatile enough to adapt to where you need him to play. I think his future is more wing than centre, but he’s got a very high floor, and he can score goals. If he adds some maturity to his defensive game, it’s not hard to envision him as a core player.

5 Östlund (6): My vote for the organization’s most underrated prospect. Like Kulich, he also played a top six role in a men’s league in his D+1 and did very well. He is very smart, very competitive and was noticeably bigger at development camp this year. He is fast, plays fast, makes good reads at both ends and has the skill to make the most of what his other attributes create. Very trustworthy player who projects as middle six centre.

Could be NHL regulars

6 Rosen (16): I have not yet completely bought in to the Rosen hype train that gathered speed last season, but he certainly made me take notice. I always saw the skill - he’s got excellent speed and hands - but I seriously doubted if he had the strength and the will. He’s still more of a complementary player than a driver and still needs to become more assertive, but clearly improved last year in both areas. He’s small, but more willing to go to the hard ice, and the way he bounces back up from the bullying has been impressive. Friendship and competition from Kulich has done wonders for his confidence and I am very curious to see if he can make the step to first-line AHLer next year. Doing that at 20 would bode well for an NHL career as a 2nd line offensive winger.

7 Johnson (12): I’ve never seen huge upside here, but Johnson’s feet and his ability to transition pucks and defend always made me pretty confident he was going to play. The crowd right now on the blueline means he will have to jump over a lot of bodies to be in the NHL, but I have little doubt he will and suspect it won’t take long. He could quietly become a nice Bill Hajt-like #4.

8 Wahlberg (NR): The more you read and watch, the easier it is to see why the Sabres got enamoured with this guy: 6’3” 17-year-olds with hands, speed and a mean streak are usually worth a premium, especially if they can play centre. It’s hard to say where he’s going to end up as a pro, but his tool box is the type you can project finding a role almost anywhere in the lineup. Whether or not he continues the meteoric rise of his draft year should give us a better sense of what he might become.

9 Poltapov  (11): I’ve been one of his bigger boosters around here for a while. He’s gritty enough to disturb shifts on the fourth line and skilled enough to hang with better players further up the lineup. He’s the type of player we don’t have a lot of in the system, and is built for the playoffs. He just won a ring in the KHL as a D2 player. I would not be surprised if he skips the Amerks and walks right on to the NHL roster as a role player in 25/26 after his KHL contract expires.

10 Novikov (15): He’s a massive human being who likes to defend and play physical, and seems to have more skill than his 6th-round pedigree implies. Will be one of the most interesting prospects to follow on the Amerks next year. Very easy to project as 3rd pairing defensive defenceman and makes you wonder if there could be even more there.

Has a shot

11 Rousek (HM): I like Rousek’s all-around game at the AHL level. He reads the play very well and can make plays at that level. I wonder if his size/speed/skill package is enough to allow that game to translate in the NHL. If it doesn’t, I’m not sure if he’s good enough at any one skill to stick as a role player. He’ll get the chance to show us this year and he’s earned it.

12 Strbak (NR): The scouting report reads like the prototype for a 2nd pairing NHL defenceman: good length, skating, puck skills, hockey sense and physicality. Plus he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and he’s been a leader for his cohort. He was a guy I’d targeted in the 2nd round, and will be very disappointed if he doesn’t elevate to the next prospect tier during his D+1 year. Reminds me of McCabe and I can see him following that path.

13 Neuchev (14): Oh those hands. Neuchev has the type of offensive skill that should put him in the NHL, so long as he has enough of a team game to support it. I’m curious to see whether one-way play and a tendency to hog the puck are obstacles for him and how Appert can correct that if they are. He comes with question marks, but he also has upside in spades. Another intriguing player to watch in Rochester.

14 Leinonen (HM): This is based almost entirely on draft pedigree. I know the pick was questioned and that he did nothing last year to answer those questions. I also know he was the highest-ranked goalie in the 2022 draft and the Sabres scouting staff isn’t stupid. I wonder why he struggled last year, and if he can rehabilitate his value the coming year the way Rosen did in the year that just finished.

Longshot with a shot

15 Kisakov (17): I love this kid’s skill level, and his sneaky dirty game and really admire the journey he took last year as a skinny teenager, so far from home without a support group and unable to speak the language. Don’t know if he’ll ever get thick enough to make it, but I expect a jump from a rough rookie year as an AHL teenager, and I’m definitely pulling for him.

16 Kozak (HM): Kozak was hardly an impact player as an AHL rookie, but he also started the year as an under-ager and showed he’s competitive as hell and tough as nails for his size. If he makes it, it will be as a 4th line centre, but don’t underestimate his chances. Another of several on this list who will be worth watching to see his improvement for the Amerks.

17 McCarthy (NR): Kinda like Strbak in that he ticks all the requisite boxes for a projectable middle pairing NHL defenceman. Not quite as steady perhaps, but someone who could eventually grow into a Colin Miller if the cards fall his way and he’s in a good position for a slow grow.

18 Komarov (NR): Lack of foot speed drops him below McCarthy, but he’s got some savvy and some jam and added some production this year to go with his good size. The fact the Sabres already have him under contract says they think he’s got a future.

19 Miedema (NR): More of a projection than some, but Miedema has a size/speed combination more usually associated with 2nd-rounders than 4th-rounders. He’s also got skill, some snarl, put up some good numbers and was a very highly rated OHL draft pick. Uneven play after getting traded for Shayne Wright dropped his stock. It will be interesting to see if the Sabres can help restore it because he has NHL tools.

20 Nadeau (18) I struggled with dropping Nadeau to the bottom of this tier, because I like his courage and his hands and he had an excellent final junior season coming off an injury. I just don’t know if his strengths will be enough to overcome his slow feet. Ice time will be hard to come by in Rochester and it will be interesting to see who out of Nadeau, Cedarqvist, Kozak, Kisakov and Neuchev will force themselves into key roles.

Honourable mentions are: Richard (NR) kinda like Neuchev, a slow marinate with intriguing skill; Lindgren (20) got bigger, still love his skating, still question his ability to defend; Ratzlaff (NR) a player with the skills and circumstance to take a big jump; and Cedarqvist (NR) enough size and grit to keep an eye on.

Great list. I have the same top 7 if I include Levi (if you take him and Rousek out I believe there’s 0 NHL games in the whole 20) and probably the same top 10.

Exceptionally strong hand to play here, considering the youth of the actual roster/graduated, as you mentioned. Lots of outs. 

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My summer ranking, post-development camp,  based on how good an NHL player they should become.

Pretty remarkable that the list remains this strong after the graduations or departures of 1 Power, 3 Quinn, 4 Peterka, 7 Krebs, 9 Samuelsson, 10 Portillo, 13 Luukkonen, and 19 Bloom.

I think last year’s pool (ranks in parentheses) could go down as the Sabres greatest of all time.

1 Levi (2): my feelings about Levi haven’t changed; he has first-line athleticism and a first-line mental approach to the game and his position. His size is not going to matter. Kid is going to be a star.

2 Benson (NR): I’m going to need more tape and more time, but I would not be surprised to find myself next year writing for Benson what I just wrote about Levi. So much skill, so much hockey IQ, so much compete. The caution flags of size and speed are fair, but I think he has so much small area skill and reads the game so well on both sides of the puck that he can make them irrelevant. First line upside.

3 Savoie (5): A relatively slow start gave me some concern he was one of those guys who might have peaked as a teen, but from Christmas until May he was dominant, posting Dylan Cozens-like D+1 numbers. He’s a piranha out there, a pace-pusher with NHL speed and quickness and a lot of high-end skill. Worst-case scenario I see a middle-six Conner Garland type winger, but he has more upside than that and he might be a top 6 NHL centre.

4 Kulich (8): Nobody in the entire NHL prospect world outperformed their draft position last year like Kulich. The kid has an elite shot and a swagger and a resume that screams crunch-time performer. He’s not slick, but he is strong and skilled and versatile enough to adapt to where you need him to play. I think his future is more wing than centre, but he’s got a very high floor, and he can score goals. If he adds some maturity to his defensive game, it’s not hard to envision him as a core player.

5 Östlund (6): My vote for the organization’s most underrated prospect. Like Kulich, he also played a top six role in a men’s league in his D+1 and did very well. He is very smart, very competitive and was noticeably bigger at development camp this year. He is fast, plays fast, makes good reads at both ends and has the skill to make the most of what his other attributes create. Very trustworthy player who projects as middle six centre.

Could be NHL regulars

6 Rosen (16): I have not yet completely bought in to the Rosen hype train that gathered speed last season, but he certainly made me take notice. I always saw the skill - he’s got excellent speed and hands - but I seriously doubted if he had the strength and the will. He’s still more of a complementary player than a driver and still needs to become more assertive, but clearly improved last year in both areas. He’s small, but more willing to go to the hard ice, and the way he bounces back up from the bullying has been impressive. Friendship and competition from Kulich has done wonders for his confidence and I am very curious to see if he can make the step to first-line AHLer next year. Doing that at 20 would bode well for an NHL career as a 2nd line offensive winger.

7 Johnson (12): I’ve never seen huge upside here, but Johnson’s feet and his ability to transition pucks and defend always made me pretty confident he was going to play. The crowd right now on the blueline means he will have to jump over a lot of bodies to be in the NHL, but I have little doubt he will and suspect it won’t take long. He could quietly become a nice Bill Hajt-like #4.

8 Wahlberg (NR): The more you read and watch, the easier it is to see why the Sabres got enamoured with this guy: 6’3” 17-year-olds with hands, speed and a mean streak are usually worth a premium, especially if they can play centre. It’s hard to say where he’s going to end up as a pro, but his tool box is the type you can project finding a role almost anywhere in the lineup. Whether or not he continues the meteoric rise of his draft year should give us a better sense of what he might become.

9 Poltapov  (11): I’ve been one of his bigger boosters around here for a while. He’s gritty enough to disturb shifts on the fourth line and skilled enough to hang with better players further up the lineup. He’s the type of player we don’t have a lot of in the system, and is built for the playoffs. He just won a ring in the KHL as a D2 player. I would not be surprised if he skips the Amerks and walks right on to the NHL roster as a role player in 25/26 after his KHL contract expires.

10 Novikov (15): He’s a massive human being who likes to defend and play physical, and seems to have more skill than his 6th-round pedigree implies. Will be one of the most interesting prospects to follow on the Amerks next year. Very easy to project as 3rd pairing defensive defenceman and makes you wonder if there could be even more there.

Has a shot

11 Rousek (HM): I like Rousek’s all-around game at the AHL level. He reads the play very well and can make plays at that level. I wonder if his size/speed/skill package is enough to allow that game to translate in the NHL. If it doesn’t, I’m not sure if he’s good enough at any one skill to stick as a role player. He’ll get the chance to show us this year and he’s earned it.

12 Strbak (NR): The scouting report reads like the prototype for a 2nd pairing NHL defenceman: good length, skating, puck skills, hockey sense and physicality. Plus he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and he’s been a leader for his cohort. He was a guy I’d targeted in the 2nd round, and will be very disappointed if he doesn’t elevate to the next prospect tier during his D+1 year. Reminds me of McCabe and I can see him following that path.

13 Neuchev (14): Oh those hands. Neuchev has the type of offensive skill that should put him in the NHL, so long as he has enough of a team game to support it. I’m curious to see whether one-way play and a tendency to hog the puck are obstacles for him and how Appert can correct that if they are. He comes with question marks, but he also has upside in spades. Another intriguing player to watch in Rochester.

14 Leinonen (HM): This is based almost entirely on draft pedigree. I know the pick was questioned and that he did nothing last year to answer those questions. I also know he was the highest-ranked goalie in the 2022 draft and the Sabres scouting staff isn’t stupid. I wonder why he struggled last year, and if he can rehabilitate his value the coming year the way Rosen did in the year that just finished.

Longshot with a shot

15 Kisakov (17): I love this kid’s skill level, and his sneaky dirty game and really admire the journey he took last year as a skinny teenager, so far from home without a support group and unable to speak the language. Don’t know if he’ll ever get thick enough to make it, but I expect a jump from a rough rookie year as an AHL teenager, and I’m definitely pulling for him.

16 Kozak (HM): Kozak was hardly an impact player as an AHL rookie, but he also started the year as an under-ager and showed he’s competitive as hell and tough as nails for his size. If he makes it, it will be as a 4th line centre, but don’t underestimate his chances. Another of several on this list who will be worth watching to see his improvement for the Amerks.

17 McCarthy (NR): Kinda like Strbak in that he ticks all the requisite boxes for a projectable middle pairing NHL defenceman. Not quite as steady perhaps, but someone who could eventually grow into a Colin Miller if the cards fall his way and he’s in a good position for a slow grow.

18 Komarov (NR): Lack of foot speed drops him below McCarthy, but he’s got some savvy and some jam and added some production this year to go with his good size. The fact the Sabres already have him under contract says they think he’s got a future.

19 Miedema (NR): More of a projection than some, but Miedema has a size/speed combination more usually associated with 2nd-rounders than 4th-rounders. He’s also got skill, some snarl, put up some good numbers and was a very highly rated OHL draft pick. Uneven play after getting traded for Shayne Wright dropped his stock. It will be interesting to see if the Sabres can help restore it because he has NHL tools.

20 Nadeau (18) I struggled with dropping Nadeau to the bottom of this tier, because I like his courage and his hands and he had an excellent final junior season coming off an injury. I just don’t know if his strengths will be enough to overcome his slow feet. Ice time will be hard to come by in Rochester and it will be interesting to see who out of Nadeau, Cedarqvist, Kozak, Kisakov and Neuchev will force themselves into key roles.

Honourable mentions are: Richard (NR) kinda like Neuchev, a slow marinate with intriguing skill; Lindgren (20) got bigger, still love his skating, still question his ability to defend; Ratzlaff (NR) a player with the skills and circumstance to take a big jump; and Cedarqvist (NR) enough size and grit to keep an eye on.

Great work here ^

Funny what you said about Neuchev.   I saw him hogging the puck in the 3v3 scrimmage.  He had Benson, the guy that was feeding him, wide open on numerous occasions and he shot anyway.   I thought it was funny actually since the game was a fun thing. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Could be NHL regulars

Has a shot

Longshot with a shot

Leinonen struggled because he's too big and not athletic enough to be an Liiga goalie let alone NHL. He's got no shot in hell of doing *****.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Great work here ^

Funny what you said about Neuchev.   I saw him hogging the puck in the 3v3 scrimmage.  He had Benson, the guy that was feeding him, wide open on numerous occasions and he shot anyway.   I thought it was funny actually since the game was a fun thing. 

In fairness Neuchev distributed the puck to teammates very well during the tournament 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Leinonen struggled because he's too big and not athletic enough to be an Liiga goalie let alone NHL. He's got no shot in hell of doing *****.

Maybe we’ll be wrong, but I will never understand this pick for a team that really seems to have its crap together when drafting, especially when the next pick of Neuchev.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

In fairness Neuchev distributed the puck to teammates very well during the tournament 

Probably, but I find it humorous, and a coincidence that @dudaceksaid puck hogging when that is exactly what I saw and made a mental note of.  It’s fine in a 3v3.  He is a good prospect that wants to get noticed.  

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

Could be NHL regulars

10 Novikov (15): He’s a massive human being who likes to defend and play physical, and seems to have more skill than his 6th-round pedigree implies. Will be one of the most interesting prospects to follow on the Amerks next year. Very easy to project as 3rd pairing defensive defenceman and makes you wonder if there could be even more there.l

thank you! I’m pleasantly surprised to see the Poltapov love. credit to you for digging deeper than just looking at his KHL stats

20 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I enjoyed the segment. At the end, the issue of having three goalies on hand was discussed by Hamilton. He made the point that it is unworkable. 

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wheeler's top 50 draftees not in the NHL.

https://theathletic.com/4665381/2023/07/18/nhl-top-prospects-rankings-connor-bedard/

12. Benson

24. Savoie

25. Kulich

HM - Östlund and Rosen

Biggest quibble is he has Ohgren at 40 despite being outplayed by Östlund on the same team.  

Wheeler is slightly better than Pronman when it comes to thinking size = good. That said, it's clear Ohgren being bigger is the main factor when he still mentions his pace and skating concerns. Östlund just need the weight room. 

51 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wheeler's top 50 draftees not in the NHL.

https://theathletic.com/4665381/2023/07/18/nhl-top-prospects-rankings-connor-bedard/

12. Benson

24. Savoie

25. Kulich

HM - Östlund and Rosen

Biggest quibble is he has Ohgren at 40 despite being outplayed by Östlund on the same team.  

That one team in a 32-team league has 3 top 25 prospects, and that list doesn't include its actual best prospect (Levi)is remarkable.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That one team in a 32-team league has 3 top 25 prospects, and that list doesn't include its actual best prospect (Levi)is remarkable.

Was going to say, well with a decade plus of horrible play to go along with moving several key pieces into futures more than half way though that decade plus horrible play that this team absolutely should have that sort of prospect ranking.  But then look at the Eulers of the late '00's and early teens and say 'nevermind.'  

The front office still had to make those selections after getting the picks.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Was going to say, well with a decade plus of horrible play to go along with moving several key pieces into futures more than half way though that decade plus horrible play that this team absolutely should have that sort of prospect ranking.  But then look at the Eulers of the late '00's and early teens and say 'nevermind.'  

The front office still had to make those selections after getting the picks.

If all drafts were equal and every pick was the "right" one, Savoie would be about 26th, Benson 38th and Kulich 82nd out of the past 3 drafts

Turning them into 24, 12 and 25 seems like good work by the scouts (although this list is just one man's unproven opinion).

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

2023-24 Prospect Pool Overview: Buffalo Sabres - The Hockey News

https://thehockeynews.com/news/2023-24-prospect-pool-overview-buffalo-sabres

i only have 1 small quibble in that Novikov isn't listed. I think he is right there with Johnson as the top D prospect in the system.

Leaving Novikov and Neuchev off list while leaving Pekar and Lyckasen on the list makes me question how much effort they put into writing the article.  

When do we see our prospects forcing their way permanently onto Buffalo’s roster (if ever)?
For example:  Kulich - He’ll almost certainly spend most of 2023/24 in Rochester, but I see him in the opening night roster in 24/25. I see him taking VO’s roster spot.

What about Benson, Savoie, Östlund, Rosen, Neuchev, Wahliberg, Johnson, Strbak, and Novikov? 

The two defenders, Novikov and Johnson, I think have the clearest road to the NHL. E Johnson, Joki and Lyubuskin are all on one year deals.  I think R Johnson makes the team in 24/25.  Novikov will probably need to years of AHL experience, but given his 90 games in the K, he could force his way into the conversation for 24/25 as well.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Leaving Novikov and Neuchev off list while leaving Pekar and Lyckasen on the list makes me question how much effort they put into writing the article.  

When do we see our prospects forcing their way permanently onto Buffalo’s roster (if ever)?
For example:  Kulich - He’ll almost certainly spend most of 2023/24 in Rochester, but I see him in the opening night roster in 24/25. I see him taking VO’s roster spot.

What about Benson, Savoie, Östlund, Rosen, Neuchev, Wahliberg, Johnson, Strbak, and Novikov? 

The two defenders, Novikov and Johnson, I think have the clearest road to the NHL. E Johnson, Joki and Lyubuskin are all on one year deals.  I think R Johnson makes the team in 24/25.  Novikov will probably need to years of AHL experience, but given his 90 games in the K, he could force his way into the conversation for 24/25 as well.

yes, I forgot the Pekar inclusion...that being said, he is writing one for every team so he's not going to be as accurate as we are (or should be)

37 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

i only have 1 small quibble in that Novikov isn't listed. I think he is right there with Johnson as the top D prospect in the system.

I agree, Novikov should be there and is on or above Johnson's level. 

I have no clue why Pekar is listed at all. 

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

yes, I forgot the Pekar inclusion...that being said, he is writing one for every team so he's not going to be as accurate as we are (or should be)

I'm sorry, but I don't give him a pass for those types of errors.  Even a quick amount of research into the Sabres show what the organization thinks of Neuchev and Novikov and that Pekar wasn't offered a contract.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

That’s the worst list of anything I’ve ever seen 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.