Update Jack Quinn has started skating again

Brawndo

Now that I think of it they probably just keep Olofsson for now and do something like: 

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch 

Mittelstadt - Cozens - Peterka

Olofsson - Krebs - Greenway

Girgensons - Jost - Okposo

Top 6 shouldn’t miss a beat, biggest thing is L3 potentially takes a big defensive step backwards with VO, so still counting a lot on Greenway to elevate. Would think they definitely add a depth guy if Olofsson moves and even in the scenario above, they may (probably should) add someone so it’s not a rookie being next up, presumably the addition that would have been on the table anyways in the original scenario where we theoretically planned to move VO. 

- - - 

The only thing I worry about really is the LT prognosis for Quinn. Hopefully it’s something you get a 100% recovery from in time 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

It's probably going to take a full year to recover fully ugh.

Thus next man up.

KA has many internal candidates to keep the team moving forward.

He can keep VO.  He can expand the roles of Krebs and Mitts.  He can give Kulich, Rousek, Savoie or Benson a shot. 

He can sign a FA to assume the Krebs 4C role if he elevates Krebs.  Plenty of options and plenty of cap room to make decisions with.  

I don't think this injury will derail the offense much and long-term I don't think it will derail Quinn's career.  We have seen this before.  Tage Thompson went through something similar and look where he is today.  Yes, it was shoulder surgery, but the recovery time is similar and the for someone with Tage's shot, a major shoulder injury could have easily derailed his career. https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-tage-thompson-injury-update/c-313918708

• Disagree 1

I think this hurts more than people realize.

The reason this team isn't going big game shopping is because it is counting on internal improvement.

Quinn is second only to Power in terms of being able to provide that.

it also means we may not get help from an Olofsson return because he is the most likely person to fill the hole, and he is probably not going to fix his flaws if he gets those minutes.

If we do trade Vic, Kulich and/or Savoie are probably not going to be able provide even what Quinn providedlast year.

It's a blow.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The reason this team isn't going big game shopping is because it is counting on internal improvement.

it also means we may not get help from an Olofsson return because he is the most likely person to fill the hole, and he is probably not going to fix his flaws if he gets those minutes.

If we do trade Vic, Kulich and/or Savoie are probably not going to be able provide even what Quinn providedlast year.

It's a blow.

I agree with all of this, although I think JJP is close to Quinn in terms of upside.  Still it would be much better to have both of them.

As I said upthread, best case is a full recovery and Quinn becoming a contributor before the end of the season.

• nfreeman changed the title to Jack Quinn expected to miss close to 6 months after rupturing Achilles
2 hours ago, dudacek said:

It's a blow.

I think everyone realizes how much this sucks

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

It's a blow.

It’s a blow, but I don’t think it is in the way you present it. We can still improve by Cozens improving, JJP improving, and Mitts giving us a full 82 games. Krebs can improve as well. Remember, we were one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL last season and it wasn’t because Quinn put up 30-40 goals. He only potted 14. If we can tread water with what we have till January, while giving up less goals (the most important thing), I think we’ll be fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Quint said:

Wondering about Quinn's achilles injury. What happened? How was it injured? Not sure it was mentioned earlier in this thread but was it severed by a skate? 

Its rarely anything of note like a lifting injury.  It's usually something stupid like a box jump where you land and it just snaps.  

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

It’s a blow, but I don’t think it is in the way you present it. We can still improve by Cozens improving, JJP improving, and Mitts giving us a full 82 games. Krebs can improve as well. Remember, we were one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL last season and it wasn’t because Quinn put up 30-40 goals. He only potted 14. If we can tread water with what we have till January, while giving up less goals (the most important thing), I think we’ll be fine. 

I was going to type out something similar.  Kudos.  Plenty of other young guys all growing into their body and (hopefully) becoming more defensively responsible.  Add to that (hopefully) improved goaltending all year from a more nhl adjusted Levi, I think they will be fine.  It is a huge blow like dudacek points out, but they still ought to be a playoff team from just internal improvement 

I am wondering if we see murray/weissbach get a shot on the sabres because of this injury.  Wouldn't be surprised.  Murray looked like he belonged when he played up 2 years ago for those 20ish games.  I was surprised when he eventually got sent back down.  And weissbach has always kind of jumped off the screen to me whenever i see him play.  Supposedly he has added a little bit of rat to his game, could be interesting to see what he could do.  They are rfas I believe?

2 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

Its rarely anything of note like a lifting injury.  It's usually something stupid like a box jump where you land and it just snaps.  

Per KA in this morning’s Harrington piece in the BN:

Adams said Quinn was “sprinting and working on explosiveness, which is what we want him to be doing.”

Edited by K-9

12 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

It's probably going to take a full year to recover fully ugh.

Yeah you can write off this season.  I ruptured mine when I was 41.  Most brutal injury of my life.  Never got my full strength and mobility back.  Took a year and a half to get back to somewhat normal. But he is much younger. 

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

Now that I think of it they probably just keep Olofsson for now and do something like: 

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch 

Mittelstadt - Cozens - Peterka

Olofsson - Krebs - Greenway

Girgensons - Jost - Okposo

Top 6 shouldn’t miss a beat, biggest thing is L3 potentially takes a big defensive step backwards with VO, so still counting a lot on Greenway to elevate. Would think they definitely add a depth guy if Olofsson moves and even in the scenario above, they may (probably should) add someone so it’s not a rookie being next up, presumably the addition that would have been on the table anyways in the original scenario where we theoretically planned to move VO. 

- - - 

The only thing I worry about really is the LT prognosis for Quinn. Hopefully it’s something you get a 100% recovery from in time 

VO needs to go. He's fine when he goes on a heater, but he's a dead roster spot when he inevitably disappears for two months. If he ain't scoring goals, he's as useless as ice skates on a basketball court.

16 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Yeah you can write off this season.  I ruptured mine when I was 41.  Most brutal injury of my life.  Never got my full strength and mobility back.  Took a year and a half to get back to somewhat normal. But he is much younger. 

Most important  to get him healthy they can't  rush him him and just request the year 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.