Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

Might be Skinners replacement down the line as mentioned.

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch 

Mittelstadt - Cozens - Quinn

Benson- Östlund - Savoie

Rousek - Krebs - Kulich

Rosen/weissbach fall out of this for me, but never know what will happen 2 years down the line.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I like the pick.  Everything says good value at 13 

KA has about 6 forward blocking him.  Time to make a trade soon to help areas in need today.  

I’d say that the only thing blocking guys taken at this stage of the draft is their on play. If they play to their potential, there’s a spot available on any team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

They're only one or two guys away from doing that.  Not ten.  And they might already be there.

I agree.  Some of these guys are going to get moved along at some point.

But from my perspective, they didn’t just add another name to the group.  They added a guy who is better than everyone else in the prospect pool.

These kids are going to be excited by the idea of playing together and know they need to bust their butt to make it to the NHL.  Let the cream rise to the top and trade the surplus.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Fantastic pick. I love two high end teammates in junior getting to play together in Buffalo. Best player on the board, don’t get cute. He is a warrior type player. The Hockey News compares him to Marchand. Super defensive forward too. 

shocked to see Moore falling. IQ must be a red flag.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think I watched 4 total of the WHL Final. I only made it to one in person in Seattle.

In the game I attended in person, Savoie's skill was obvious, but Benson was better. Seattle just negated everything they did except for a pretty 4-on-4 goal when the game was already well in hand.

Obviously Sabres development team feels last years playoff wasn’t their peak and the talent projection is there once they get him into the org and under buffalos direction.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm sorry I know he's gonna be a good player but it's a f****** joke  For the old generation that have been suffering .

I don't even know if I'm gonna be here in 3 years I drink so much 

I’ve been with them since 1973 and absolutely cannot wait for the season to start. I also like beverages. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bg17 said:

I’ve been with them since 1973 and absolutely cannot wait for the season to start. I also like beverages. 

I've been a fan since '73 too, and am very excited with our team. We're making the playoffs this year. No idea what the "joke" is.

Edited by Sabres73
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Might be Skinners replacement down the line as mentioned.

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch 

Mittelstadt - Cozens - Quinn

Benson- Östlund - Savoie

Rousek - Krebs - Kulich

Rosen/weissbach fall out of this for me, but never know what will happen 2 years down the line.

Peterka?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ctaeth said:

Sounds like a good pick, especially if he is as good defensively as that guy on Twitter says he is.  Best defensive forward in the draft, but insane offensive talent to boot?  Yes please

I don’t know if he really is the best defensive forward in the draft, but he busts his butt being a real 200 ft player.  Has a little pest in him too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

They actually make about three or four jerseys. And then pick the one that they’re gonna pick

Always thought that they had nameplates made up for pretty much everybody ranked in the top 60 and then just slap the velcro'd nameplate onto the back of a #23 sweater.

Sandin-Pellikka's Detroit sweater definitely had a velcro'd nameplate on the back.

Just now, Sabres73 said:

I've been a fan since '73 to, and am very excited with our team. We're making the playoffs this year. No idea what the "joke" is.

Me too - I started going to games in 73 as a 4 year old.  This is the guy I wanted all along, but thought there was only about a 30% chance he dropped to 13.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Nice lining up forwards for the future but want to see more in D pipeline... I get BPA but if it was the NFL team would have traded out for more picks or a player... or both 

I think they need to really focus in on D in rounds 2-5.  I tend to think that forwards are better value in the lottery though anyway.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.