Kevyn Adams and Jerry Forton Pre-Draft Presser, 6/21/2023

LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm more thinking like Skinner,Tuch etc.

Tage will likely hit 100 

Skinner I'm more worried about  He always has a bad year after a good year

Skinner followed up his 33 goal, 30 assist “good” year in 2021-2022 with an even better 35 goal, 47 assist “good” year in 2022-2023, so the bold doesn’t hold water. Simple fact is he has never played on a line with as much talent at both center and wing as he has the past two seasons. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Skinner followed up his 33 goal, 30 assist “good” year in 2021-2022 with an even better 35 goal, 47 assist “good” year in 2022-2023, so the bold doesn’t hold water. Simple fact is he has never played on a line with as much talent at both center and wing as he has the past two seasons. 

I think Skinner never had a coach who understood how to use him either. Jeff isn't going to be the hardest backchecker on the planet but he is okay defensively and is a pain in the ass in the offensive zone. Let him flow and create while someone else is the first forward back. 

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Skinner never had a coach who understood how to use him either. Jeff isn't going to be the hardest backchecker on the planet but he is okay defensively and is a pain in the ass in the offensive zone. Let him flow and create while someone else is the first forward back. 

Absolutely. He and the rest of the forwards are fortunate to have Granato’s insistence that they play free and unencumbered on offense. He’s the antithesis of Krueger in that regard and it’s not a surprise that so several players are now flourishing in his system. 

58 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Does everyone think that all these players are going to have career years like last year ?.

That would be unheard of just saying.

51 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm more thinking like Skinner,Tuch etc.

Tage will likely hit 100 

Skinner I'm more worried about  He always has a bad year after a good year

As Thompson showed, there’s a difference between a breakout year and a career year.

Skinner, IMO, just had a career year. We’ll have to see which one Tuch, Mitts, Dahlin and Cozens had.

Im reasonably certain UPL, Power, Mule, Quinn, Krebs, and Peterka have more to give.

Also hopeful Greenway and Levi are additions that will be improvements over the guys they are replacing (Anderson and Olofsson)

Girgs, Okposo, Boosh, Joki, Bryson, Stillman, Jost had neither breakout, nor career years.

And I expect, at the very least, we will be adding a competent defenceman.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Can't believe they're going with the same freaking team.

This has disaster written all over it

FFS, you need to stop taking what is said at press conferences literally. Adams isn't under oath!  🙄

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Bottom 5?

@Buffalonill meant, uhhhh...attendance! yeah that's it! Bottom 5 in attendance!

• Like (+1) 1

The presence of Levi already makes the goalie room substantially better than it was last year.  I also bet that Adams is looking for a veteran goalie to add, but he doesn't want to throw his current guys under the bus, nor does he want to tip his hand to other teams.  While it would be interesting for us on a message board to know for sure, he's probably doing his job by saying what he's saying.

I also believe that most of the younger guys will improve, some of them by quite a bit.  Peterka, Quinn and Power should all show significant improvement based on age, experience, time in an NHL training program, etc.  Krebs should also improve with age/experience and Greenway will be better after having a full camp in the Granato system.  Cozens will grow, fill out, and improve.  Thompson may improve a little bit, if he stays healthy, but he's getting pretty close to his ceiling (which happens to be pretty high), and if the team gets similar production out of Skinner and Tuch, they'll be in good shape.  Also, if Mitts plays the way he did down the stretch over the course of an entire season, that should certainly be considered an improvement.

They still need to add a gritty veteran defensive defenseman (or 2) - high priority - and a gritty veteran foward - not as high a priority, but would be helpful.  Okposo, Girgs, and Jost (if re-signed) bring some of that to the team, although they might not be the most physical players out there.  Adams is aware of these needs and I believe he's working on them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

This team will get absolutely destroyed in the playoffs If they even make the playoffs .

They have nobody that's gonna lay out the body 

It has to get old at some point doesn’t it? I’m not talking about hockey. 

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why can’t they find a way to get better audio capture of the reporters questions?

Because the technology for that does not exist.  😜

Or at a minimum, those working in the MMArena aren't aware of the technology existing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.