The Contract you prefer for Owen Power?

Zamboni

The contract you prefer for Owen Power  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing he will most likely get a large payday, what is the contract you prefer for Owen Power or if you were KA what would you sign him to?

• 7 or 8 years at 8.5 AAV or less
    • 6 years at 8.5 or less
    • 1 or 2 years at less than 5 AAV
    • 3 or 4 years at less than 7 AAV
    • I don't care about the cost, I justi want him for 8 years
    • I don't care about the length, i want him to stay under 7 AAV
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/26/2023 at 04:00 PM

• Zamboni changed the title to The Contract you prefer for Owen Power?
4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Will be surprised if it isn't nearly unanimous.  (It won't be unanimous, but expect it will be quite close.)

So far it is.  7 smart Spacers.  Let's hope that KA is one of them and Owen is too.

I will stick by my prediction in the other thread .. 8 years and $60M.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a different league nowadays. Young players are making more money much sooner than ever before.

I'm not quite used to it and i'm not sure it's good for the league overall.

Broke ass NHL doesn't have the revenues to keep up I fear. 

49 minutes ago, Norcal said:

It's a different league nowadays. Young players are making more money much sooner than ever before.

I'm not quite used to it and i'm not sure it's good for the league overall.

Broke ass NHL doesn't have the revenues to keep up I fear. 

I see that you voted 'other'.  What is your proposal?

14 minutes ago, Norcal said:

He'll get what the market dictates, I wouldn't low ball him.

I do wish the bridge deal was still a thing  before these players, deserving or not, get these big deals. 

I guess the idea is paying a player their worth, now, while they deserve it, if you can accurately calculate it, rather than making them indisputably proving what they are worth, and then paying said player based on that performance that, at that point become past performance, where the performance in the now term might not be reflective of the $$ value they earned with *previous* play. Calculated risk for GMs I guess. Pay for performance not past performance. Way more likely to get an albatross deal when Age becomes a negative factor 

I choser other because my preference is a four year bridge followed by an eight year deal. I'd like to keep him locked up as long as possible before he's eligible to become a UFA. I'm more concerned with term/UFA than I am with cost. 

I’m fine with either a 7-8 yr extension or a 2-3 year bridge. The long-term deal locks him up and provides cost certainty. The bridge opens up the possibility of having him on our blue line for the next 12 years.

The Dahlin bridge seems to have worked fine. Maybe it is going to cost us an extra $1.5 - $2 million in AAV for the first 5 years of his next deal, but it also gets us 2-3 additional years. 

If Power wants a bridge and then 3-4 years from now he can demand more then Dahlin, then that will mean he has turned into the extraordinary player we think/hope he is and also that the cap has gone up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

I think there needs to be another option with 8 years at >$8.5 million.  Frankly, it may take $9 or more to get him locked up that long.

Based on what?  Based on pasted examples of similar players and similar contracts, $9M is more than would be expected.

58 minutes ago, Grinder said:

A 4 year contract brings him to unrestricted free agency

I don’t think it does.  He would still be an RFA, one year from UFA.  Need to have 7 accrued seasons (be on roster for 40+ games) or be 27 years old in order to become a UFA.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Hank said:

I choser other because my preference is a four year bridge followed by an eight year deal. I'd like to keep him locked up as long as possible before he's eligible to become a UFA. I'm more concerned with term/UFA than I am with cost. 

This is a very reasonable take.  After the 4 year bridge he is still RFA.  It will cost the Sabres more to sign him for 4 and then 8, but they may not care about that.  

Seems that KA does not take this approach, but he did sign Dahlin to his 3 year bridge deal in 2021.  Maybe he will do the same for Power.  That way he will have both for at least another 9 years.  At that time both will still be in their prime.  If he does 4 and then 8 for Power then he can sign Dahlin for another 5 year deal (at age 32) with 3 years left on the Power 8 year deal*.

Not a bad idea atoll.

* I'm a CPA and not a math wize, so somebody needs to fact check my math here.

47 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think it does.  He would still be an RFA, one year from UFA.  Need to have 7 accrued seasons (be on roster for 40+ games) or be 27 years old in order to become a UFA.

He burned a year with the 8 games played in 21-22, then has two more years(22-23, 23-24) on his ELC. That’s 3 years, in addition to the hypothetical 4 year extension. That seems like the 7 accrued years needed for UFA. If I’m wrong, then bring on the 4 year extension!

I just saw the needed 40+ in your post. I’ve always thought the burned year on the ELC for college players was a year toward UFA.

Edited by Grinder

17 minutes ago, Grinder said:

He burned a year with the 8 games played in 21-22, then has two more years(22-23, 23-24) on his ELC. That’s 3 years, in addition to the hypothetical 4 year extension. That seems like the 7 accrued years needed for UFA. If I’m wrong, then bring on the 4 year extension!

I just saw the needed 40+ in your post. I’ve always thought the burned year on the ELC for college players was a year toward UFA.

The "burned year" is STRICTLY on the ELC.  That has nothing to do with getting credited with an accrued NHL season for FA and pension purposes.  A healthy skater needs 40 games to accumulate an accrued season.  Power's cup of coffee coming out of college doesn't count as an accrued season.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.