Michael Peca is joining the NY Rangers as an Asst Coach

Brawndo

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This one hurts. He has been great for forward development 

Good for him.  But not happy to see him moving outside the organization.

Maybe he comes back to take Appert's role when he either moves up in Buffalo or takes a position elsewhere.

Would be a logical next step prior to getting a HC gig in the show.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Buffalo is dumb for not  Promoting him .

Let's keep all the coaches that sucked last year wtf 

I don’t know what we would promote him to. We already have a HC for the Amerks. An assistant coach for the Sabres? As much as our defensive woes, I think Muel, Dahlin, and Power are developing well.  Coaching previously stunted Dahlin considerably. 

8 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I don’t know what we would promote him to. We already have a HC for the Amerks. An assistant coach for the Sabres? As much as our defensive woes, I think Muel, Dahlin, and Power are developing well.  Coaching previously stunted Dahlin considerably. 

I thought they fire everyone but  Granato at some point they have stop being buddy- buddy and  Focusing on Championships

Edited by Buffalonill
  • dislike 1

26 minutes ago, kas23 said:

No reason not to have another Sabres assistant. Teach some of these guys how to win a face off for one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I thought they fire everyone but  Granato at some point they have stop being buddy- buddy and  Focusing on Championships

I know you say stuff like this just to say it, but the Sabres improved by 16 points with the youngest team in the league and missed the dance by a win.  The staff here suits the team they have. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I know you say stuff like this just to say it, but the Sabres improved by 16 points with the youngest team in the league and missed the dance by a win.  The staff here suits the team they have. 

Did you miss how they folded? This is what's wrong with some in this Fanbase we have accepted   participation awards .

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Folded? No I missed th part. I do remember finishing the season 9-2-1. Maybe you're thinking of Ottawa and Detroit?

Oh so you missed the games where they blew leads and lost 9 in a row? Screenshot-20230618-164727-Chrome.jpg

Or them going 2-10 February-March? 

But hey they went 9-2 classic buffalo fashion ( every one forgets February/march)

Screenshot-20230618-164413-Chrome.jpg

Edited by Buffalonill

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So that's what was lacking...focus!  All we need is more focus.

This doesn't mean the coaching staff is right for this team (I know PTR is being tongue-in-cheek).  Granato is a development coach who has serious problems to address when it comes to tactics and maybe strategy as well, and that has permeated the rest of the coaching staff (as it naturally should).  I'm not sure that Peca is the answer to the problem or that he would be a good "coach-whisperer," but Granato is out of his depth often enough.  The fact that he's the best the Sabres have managed since firing Ruff is of no moment; I think he's already done what he's good at.

IF--and that's an IF--Peca is the right guy to take over in-game tactics, promote him; otherwise, gotta let him chase his dream.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This doesn't mean the coaching staff is right for this team (I know PTR is being tongue-in-cheek).  Granato is a development coach who has serious problems to address when it comes to tactics and maybe strategy as well, and that has permeated the rest of the coaching staff (as it naturally should).  I'm not sure that Peca is the answer to the problem or that he would be a good "coach-whisperer," but Granato is out of his depth often enough.  The fact that he's the best the Sabres have managed since firing Ruff is of no moment; I think he's already done what he's good at.

IF--and that's an IF--Peca is the right guy to take over in-game tactics, promote him; otherwise, gotta let him chase his dream.

Just because Meatballs hasn’t had anything at the nhl level to work with other than a developing team doesn’t mean that’s all he knows. I’m willing to give him some latitude to see how he evolves as his team does.  

This team doesn’t have a problem scoring goals.
Defending at the NHL level with a bunch of young D and young forwards will come with experience. It’s not like this team has a ton of experienced two-way forwards and they’re failing compared to previous results. Plus goaltending has been replacement level for his entire tenure. 

Im optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Oh so you missed the games where they blew leads and lost 9 in a row? 

Or them going 2-10 February-March? 

But hey they went 9-2 classic buffalo fashion ( every one forgets February/march)

The youngest team in the NHL was inconsistent while sporting nearly league-worst goaltending. And still found its way to 91 points (the most since 2010-11). But it’s because the coaching staff is to “buddy, buddy.” You really nailed it.  

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m willing to give him some latitude to see how he evolves as his team does.  

I can agree with this, but if he doesn't start making smarter in-game decisions and if the team is floundering by December, I'll want him out.  (That is assuming that the team isn't dealing with personnel problems that are Adams's, rather than Granato's, job.)

Edited by Eleven

7 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

The youngest team in the NHL was inconsistent while sporting nearly league-worst goaltending. And still found its way to 91 points (the most since 2010-11). But it’s because the coaching staff is to “buddy, buddy.” You really nailed it.  

I was going to say something like this. The goalies being substandard was a huge talking (bitching) point throughout the season. The defense lacking depth and experience was a huge talking (bitching) point throughout the season.  Those deficiencies were not on Granato to address. We had the youngest team in the league, were among the highest scoring teams in the league, and improved by 16 points with an abnormally high number of rookies/1st year players. How anyone can say Granato did not do an adequate coaching job given what he had to work with seems nonsensical to me. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Are we really going to use this  excuse every freaking time "youngest team in the NHL" its been  A decade without playoffs  Give me a freaking break they had 4 guys 20+ and the rest ***** men 

What's the next  Excuse they're too old ? 

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

I was going to say something like this. The goalies being substandard was a huge talking (bitching) point throughout the season. The defense lacking depth and experience was a huge talking (bitching) point throughout the season.  Those deficiencies were not on Granato to address. We had the youngest team in the league, were among the highest scoring teams in the league, and improved by 16 points with an abnormally high number of rookies/1st year players. How anyone can say Granato did not do an adequate coaching job given what he had to work with seems nonsensical to me. 

I can agree with everything but your last sentence here.  Granato's refusal to change goalies (at all or until too late), refusal to pull goalies until too late, and line decisions in-game were worth at least a win.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.