Report: Teams are "poking around the Sabres" about Victor Olofsson

LGR4GM

Goal scorers are hard to find, so I could see him fetching a late 1st, but given that the Sabres made him a healthy scratch a few times and the fact that other teams are fully aware of this, a 2nd might be more realistic.  The Sabres have plenty of draft picks, so the better bet is to trade him - a player with talent that needs a change of scenery - for a similar player (one with talent that needs a change of scenery) that also happens to be a veteran defenseman.  A #4-#6 veteran D-man for a guy who can score 20-30 goals per season and be a fixture on the power play is a fair trade.  Not sure if Olofsson is enough to get a veteran goalie in exchange, but it would depend on the goalie.  I'm not sure he'll fetch a goalie that's much better than UPL or Comrie.

I believe it was the Joe and Lance podcast where they pitched the idea of Olofsson to Calgary, who desperately needs a finisher. Tanev was mentioned.

Vegas was another team they said might be interested (Martinez) and Winnipeg (Demelo).

They were spitballing teams who might need an Olofsson and have what we need, not passing along rumours.

They also said a market might be there despite the holes in his game for 3 reasons:

• Olofsson can kickstart a lot of power plays in a way many players can’t
  • the list of players who score 25 goals for $2.5 million (with retention) is very short
  • his acquisition cost and/or contract commitment is a lot easier to swallow than other scorers on the market like Debrincat and Tarasenko.

I think he moves at the draft.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Goal scorers are hard to find, so I could see him fetching a late 1st, but given that the Sabres made him a healthy scratch a few times and the fact that other teams are fully aware of this, a 2nd might be more realistic.  The Sabres have plenty of draft picks, so the better bet is to trade him - a player with talent that needs a change of scenery - for a similar player (one with talent that needs a change of scenery) that also happens to be a veteran defenseman.  A #4-#6 veteran D-man for a guy who can score 20-30 goals per season and be a fixture on the power play is a fair trade.  Not sure if Olofsson is enough to get a veteran goalie in exchange, but it would depend on the goalie.  I'm not sure he'll fetch a goalie that's much better than UPL or Comrie.

In a vacuum, with only 1 team (or at most 2 teams) interested in Olofsson, yes, his getting benched at the end of the season could work against his value.  But teams aren't bidding against the Sabres usage of VO (if that were all they're bidding against, his value would be a 3rd or 4th rounder).  Teams are bidding against other teams that want a 25ish goal scorer that fits in well in the room on a reasonable contract for 1 more season.

There are more than 2 teams that have a need for that sort of a player.  The Sabres should be able to get something legit for VO and if he's a part of a package they should be able to get something actually GOOD for him.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I agree. Even a great depth player is very doable.

I don’t care what we get as long as the value is there. A first, a player, a part of a player, makes no difference to me…..

but I’ll be disappointed if it’s a 2nd or less…. I think he’s worth at least a 2nd and 3rd….

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I believe it was the Joe and Lance podcast where they pitched the idea of Olofsson to Calgary, who desperately needs a finisher. Tanev was mentioned.

Vegas was another team they said might be interested (Martinez) and Winnipeg (Demelo).

They were spitballing teams who might need an Olofsson and have what we need, not passing along rumours.

They also said a market might be there despite the holes in his game for 3 reasons:

• Olofsson can kickstart a lot of power plays in a way many players can’t
  • the list of players who score 25 goals for $2.5 million (with retention) is very short
  • his acquisition cost and/or contract commitment is a lot easier to swallow than other scorers on the market like Debrincat and Tarasenko.

I think he moves at the draft.

If you get Tanev for Olofsson I wouldn't complain just need some good depth when he gets injured 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

In a vacuum, with only 1 team (or at most 2 teams) interested in Olofsson, yes, his getting benched at the end of the season could work against his value.  But teams aren't bidding against the Sabres usage of VO (if that were all they're bidding against, his value would be a 3rd or 4th rounder).  Teams are bidding against other teams that want a 25ish goal scorer that fits in well in the room on a reasonable contract for 1 more season.

There are more than 2 teams that have a need for that sort of a player.  The Sabres should be able to get something legit for VO and if he's a part of a package they should be able to get something actually GOOD for him.

a team trades for VO and puts him on the top PP unit, he scores 25ish by the deadline. His new team can then decide to keep and let him run out his contract or flip at the deadline and get more than they gave up to acquire him.

• Agree 1
  • dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Sorry, but don't think VO will fetch a 1st rounder, plus Simashev will not last until the 20's IMHO.

we shall see.  There will be a lot of teams hesitant of drafting Russians. He doesn't have good offensive stats and there are a lot of high end forwards this year that teams might be worried to miss out on. If a team views Simashev as a Defensive Dman that could push him down as those are usually found later in the draft like Samuelsson was 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.