Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Oh, the hand wringing and vitriol over him going to LA was funny to witness.

Or you could bring up Jimmy Vesey, who they had a chance to sign but didn't. (A guy who scores about 13 goals per 82 games). Or remember out of college how Casey Nelson was a hyped prospect? How about Will Butcher choosing the Devils (originally) over the Sabres and people being upset over that a few years ago?  There have been others of course....

But, it is the exception, not the rule, that a guy that you drafted (or is a free agent) coming out of college after a good college career that is available to any team turns out to be a great player.  The Sabres signed Johnson this year, he elected to stay here, lets hope he is one of the good ones.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

But, it is the exception, not the rule, that a guy that you drafted (or is a free agent) coming out of college after a good college career that is available to any team turns out to be a great player.  The Sabres signed Johnson this year, he elected to stay here, lets hope he is one of the good ones.

Johnson has been worth the wait. KA stayed in touch and played the long game. He is going to pay his dues by going to Rochester but he is part of this D corps in the near future. He is ready for NHL duty now but will hone his game in the AHL for a while.

35 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Johnson has been worth the wait. KA stayed in touch and played the long game. He is going to pay his dues by going to Rochester but he is part of this D corps in the near future. He is ready for NHL duty now but will hone his game in the AHL for a while.

Speaking of Johnson, I still don't know exactly what type of player he is/could be.

A lot of people have spoken in generalities...or restated his scouting profile from the draft. But...

What are his strengths? Weaknesses?

Is he a good skater/fast skater?

Is he good positionally? Or does he need a lot of improvement there.

Does he hit a lot, or is he a guy more concerned about positioning and will not make some hits to maintain positioning?

Win more battles on the boards/for loose pucks?

How is his first pass out of the zone.

Is he a guy who's PROBABLY ceiling is closer to a 5goal, 20 assist guy or a 15 goal, 40 assist guy.

After reading about him and reading the discussions about him, I really don't know his strengths and weaknesses, his ceiling, etc.

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Speaking of Johnson, I still don't know exactly what type of player he is/could be.

A lot of people have spoken in generalities...or restated his scouting profile from the draft. But...

Does he hit a lot, or is he a guy more concerned about positioning and will not make some hits to maintain positioning?

Is he a guy who's PROBABLY ceiling is closer to a 5goal, 20 assist guy or a 15 goal, 40 assist guy.

After reading about him and reading the discussions about him, I really don't know his strengths and weaknesses, his ceiling, etc.

What are his strengths? Weaknesses? His agility and positioning are strengths. He plays a solid dependable game. Weakness, he isn't very flashy offensively but plays more of a simple straight forward game.

Is he a good skater/fast skater? He is an exceptionally good skater. His top end speed is above average but his agility is very very good. He is hard to get off base  because he has quick feet and acceleration 

Is he good positionally? He is very good positionally and always tries to be supportive on defense or engaging to end rushes. I think positioning is a strength for him.

Does he hit a lot, or is he a guy more concerned about positioning and will not make some hits to maintain positioning? He is not a big hitter but will engage along walls physically. He doesn't really need to hit to be effective with how he plays. 

Win more battles on the boards/for loose pucks? He should yes, much better than Bryson.

How is his first pass out of the zone. Good, he knows where to go with the puck and how to open the lane (with his skating) to fire it up. 

Is he a guy who's PROBABLY ceiling is closer to a 5goal, 20 assist guy or a 15 goal, 40 assist guy. 5g, 20a guy. 

• Like (+1) 6

24 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

A lot of his time in the NCAA was spent as a shutdown type of Dman. He uses his skating and stick to defend vs physical play. He has never been a big point producer but is a puck moving Dman. This to me means he can skate it out or make a first pass to get it out.

My only real experience watching him was in the World Juniors a few years ago where he was solid and played a top 4 shutdown role.

I think it was @pi2000who compared him to Jokiharju, which is a decent comparable imo. I know many are down on Joki but he is an NHL Dman and should get slotted properly very soon.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What are his strengths? Weaknesses? His agility and positioning are strengths. He plays a solid dependable game. Weakness, he isn't very flashy offensively but plays more of a simple straight forward game.

Is he a good skater/fast skater? He is an exceptionally good skater. His top end speed is above average but his agility is very very good. He is hard to get off base  because he has quick feet and acceleration 

Is he good positionally? He is very good positionally and always tries to be supportive on defense or engaging to end rushes. I think positioning is a strength for him.

Does he hit a lot, or is he a guy more concerned about positioning and will not make some hits to maintain positioning? He is not a big hitter but will engage along walls physically. He doesn't really need to hit to be effective with how he plays. 

Win more battles on the boards/for loose pucks? He should yes, much better than Bryson.

How is his first pass out of the zone. Good, he knows where to go with the puck and how to open the lane (with his skating) to fire it up. 

Is he a guy who's PROBABLY ceiling is closer to a 5goal, 20 assist guy or a 15 goal, 40 assist guy. 5g, 20a guy. 

So basically, IF he hits his ceiling (a big 'IF'), the prototype modern NHL D-man who you want on your team that isn't a 'star' but a top 4 guy.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Missing the big news. Hagg was waived by the Ducks. 

You know it's the end of the line when the Ducks waive you. 

Maybe Filly will put in a claim.  Cut down on just how much they gave up for Ristolainen.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The Joker for Nylander deal looks better every year even without Joker’s uneven play

Dumb question - if a team claims Nylander, can they assign him to their minor league without clearing waivers again and/or are they obligated to keep him on their big club?  

37 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Dumb question - if a team claims Nylander, can they assign him to their minor league without clearing waivers again and/or are they obligated to keep him on their big club?  

They can only claim him on the waiver wire which is before he clears. If they claim him they have to keep him on the NHL roster. If they want to send him down they have to offer him back to Pitt first or else he has to clear thru waivers to go down.

41 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

They can only claim him on the waiver wire which is before he clears. If they claim him they have to keep him on the NHL roster. If they want to send him down they have to offer him back to Pitt first or else he has to clear thru waivers to go down.

And if somebody really wants him on their AHL squad, could see Pittsburgh saying sure, he's yours.  Nylander is on a 1 way deal.  $775k is a lot of money to pay an AHLer.

And after IIRC 30 days or being on the NHL roster for 10 games, the Pens would lose their right of 1st refusal should the claiming club realize what he is.

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Maybe Filly will put in a claim.  Cut down on just how much they gave up for Ristolainen.

You know, as a perfect example of how preseason doesn't matter, Philly has gone 5 and 1 or something and looked dominant against the islanders tonight. I do like their 4th line but I don't think anybody thinks they will actually be any good. Risto didn't play. 

• Thanks (+1) 1