Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Can someone explain what is going on with Babcock?

Someone reported thar Babcock asked a player or players for pics from their phone and he displayed them on his monitor.

Babcock responded that it was during 1 on 1’s with his players and they showed him, and he showed them, family pics.  He displayed the pics and they talked about then. He said it was nothing more than a getting to know everyone effort.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Someone reported thar Babcock asked a player or players for pics from their phone and he displayed them on his monitor.

Babcock responded that it was during 1 on 1’s with his players and they showed him, and he showed them, family pics.  He displayed the pics and they talked about then. He said it was nothing more than a getting to know everyone effort.

I heard a handful of quotes from a few of their players who had nothing but good things to say about the whole thing.  It was mostly a "that's your family? hey, here's mine" sort of thing.

Whatever people think of Babcock, I don't really feel like Bissonnette is someone I'm turning to for just about anything.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

I heard a handful of quotes from a few of their players who had nothing but good things to say about the whole thing.  It was mostly a "that's your family? hey, here's mine" sort of thing.

Whatever people think of Babcock, I don't really feel like Bissonnette is someone I'm turning to for just about anything.

That is probably the best.  Skepticism as the default.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Thanks guys.  Seems like a tempest in a teapot here.

43 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'm not even sure it's skepticism. 

-Random player/players say something to Bissonnette about not liking an interaction between Jenner and Babcock.
-Jenner has no problem whatsoever about said interaction.
-What more is there really to say at this point?

Edited by shrader

Apparently Seravalli is reporting that Buffalo and Colorado are both in negotiations with Vegas about Logan Thompson.

Good ol Eklund reported Thompson wanted out of Vegas and today reported that Buffalo is closing in on a goalie.

Could be nothing but I like Thompson and would feel more comfortable with him over UPL for sure. Thompson is making league minimum the next two years.  I think a Levi/Thompson pairing would have a ton of potential.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Apparently Seravalli is reporting that Buffalo and Colorado are both in negotiations with Vegas about Logan Thompson.

Good ol Eklund reported Thompson wanted out of Vegas and today reported that Buffalo is closing in on a goalie.

Could be nothing but I like Thompson and would feel more comfortable with him over UPL for sure. Thompson is making league minimum the next two years.  I think a Levi/Thompson pairing would have a ton of potential.

John Scott linked Thompson to buffalo a couple months ago, and mentioned it again on his latest podcast yesterday(maybe two days ago?). 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Curt said:

I have absolutely no doubt that a relegation system could work well.

All I’m saying is that I believe there is essentially zero appetite for it from anyone associated with the NHL.  Fans, owners, commissioner, no one is going to push for it.

Not now for sure, but how big does the league get before the current format becomes untenable. I wouldn't want more than 16 teams in the playoffs as is. It's already a 2 season league. Another round of playoffs will just make the regular season even less interesting. idk, I think it'll be years before it's a real problem but if you go above 32 teams it is maybe time for change. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

The initial reports after the NHL and NHLPA had spoken to Johnny Gadreau and Boone Jenner were that the matter was resolved.

However as reported on the latest episode of 32 Thoughts from today, things changed once the NHLPA President Marty Walsh met with some of the younger players on Columbus, they apparently flew to Columbus to do so yesterday, this appears to be the major focus of their investigation. The also reportedly reached out to some Toronto and former Red Wings who played for Babcock as well.

There should be a conclusion sometime soon. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not now for sure, but how big does the league get before the current format becomes untenable. I wouldn't want more than 16 teams in the playoffs as is. It's already a 2 season league. Another round of playoffs will just make the regular season even less interesting. idk, I think it'll be years before it's a real problem but if you go above 32 teams it is maybe time for change. 

Yeah, who knows what may be possible many years from now, if the league expands past 32, or 34, or 36 teams.  Things could change.

I just don’t think a relegation format it’s likely even then.  The owners would have to approve it, which they wouldn’t because it has the potential to dramatically decrease the value of their asset.

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, who knows what may be possible many years from now, if the league expands past 32, or 34, or 36 teams.  Things could change.

I just don’t think a relegation format it’s likely even then.  The owners would have to approve it, which they wouldn’t because it has the potential to dramatically decrease the value of their asset.

I'm not sure it devalues the asset as they're in the same league. When Buffalo misses the playoffs for a decade the asset gets devalued all the same with empty arenas. Fans might show up if there was something to play for i.e. playoffs and then moving up. The Latvians will all tell you how much relegation vs. moving up means. Generates a lot of excitement. As a Buffalo fan maybe it's hard to remember just how much money playoffs generate. Tickets and merch. I'd have to think relegation playoffs would still generate similar returns. 

Anyway, probably flogging this dead horse beyond recognition but I turned on this prospect game just now and the intermission is really boring 🙂

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

cause hockey is a U.S. sport.....................................right. 

Yes. If the seven Canadian teams broke away from the NHL and formed their own league they likely do not survive. Just like the NBA and MLB, the NHL is an American league with teams in Canada, they just have more of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

cause hockey is a U.S. sport.....................................right. 

It's US/Canada; North American.

It works in Europe because their entire system of leagues is fundamentally different from NA leagues.

The NHL, MLB, NBA, and NFL are rigid top down models. While also creating a minimum parity amongst the teams via caps and luxury taxes depending on the league. Most NA sports are leagues 1st, split into teams akin to how Wendy's or Burger King have franchising. (Hence the reason NA sports teams are typically known as franchises) The Sabres ARE AN NHL team.

On the flipside the European leagues are more akin to independent contractors competing to play in a specific "tournament or league" Tottenham Hotspur is in the Premier League. Each "team" operates separate from the league but competes via registration of rosters.

Essentially relegation requires a completely different business and league structure. I prefer the NA model frankly for all its warts it keeps teams and regions locked.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/15/2023 at 11:13 AM, Eleven said:

Old school coach with dictatorial tendencies who hasn't adapted to the modern world. Players no longer put up with his kind of abuse. He just hasn't been able to make the adjustment.