Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

45 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Just curious, but would you have wanted him on the Sabres at that money and term?

I would think long and hard about it and likely say no, but that has more to do with the Sabres situation than his value as a player. For the same reason I have not been a proponent of adding Pesce, I don’t think we can afford to add a 6M+ defenseman for more than 2 years. Doing so puts us in a space where we will not be able to afford Levi (if he becomes a legit starter, if not, the goalie we bring in to be one). And we also have Dahlin and Power for LHD that will eat up a lot of O zone time which would make Dunn less effective. I think right now Dahlin is better, but Dunn is currently better than Power, though I expect that to change within a few years. 

Dunn was 10th among defenseman in points, and has had great analytics for nearly his whole career. He led the Kraken in ice time and still had Corsi and Fenwicks over 54%. (Helped some by the Ozone starts). He is now the 25th highest paid defenseman, which seems quite reasonable.

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Doesn't that put the Leafs extremely close to the 10% off season escalator?

Expecting, though don't know for certain, that the league is allowing the players that ended the season on BF-LTIR to still be considered to be on BF-LTIR so they aren't being included in a calculation of the Loafs current cap hit.  If they were included, they Loafs would be more than $11MM over the cap when they're only allowed to be ~$8.4MM over the cap.

Though that is in direct contradiction to how the CBA is written, it does seem to be the way the league is handling injured players.  As long as the NHLPA is buying off on it (and they seem to be), then expect that is how the league will continue to handle this moving forward.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

They are more than $12M over the cap.

Muzzin is on LTIR for $5M+.
They need to move Murray and then some.

And they want Karlsson.

Go to cap hell Leafs!

Just imagine they would have to package Nylander + 2 capdumps,  probably mutliple first rounders to San jose.

Then possibly see Matthews leave next offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Why would somebody quote the "AAV" aka the Average Annual Value of a 1 year bonus-ineligible contract?  When you divide the sum of any single number by 1 it ends up the same.  Would've been more fun had he provided the "median" or even the mean or the mode.  (Hint: they all have a face value of $1,670,000.)  (Not directed at you @Brawndo, but Mr. Seravalli.)

Especially when he uses the term "actual" before AAV.  Will bet nearly any amount of money that DeAngelo doesn't ACTUALLY end up with $1,670,000 after everything is prorated to 50% of HRR.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:59 PM, French Collection said:

They are more than $12M over the cap.

Muzzin is on LTIR for $5M+.
They need to move Murray and then some.

And they want Karlsson.

Go to cap hell Leafs!

One rumor has them talking with Montreal about taking Murray's salary off their hands for a 1st + as Montreal is willing to use their cap space to improve. 

Can only see them getting Karlsson if they give up Nylander. 

So trade away Nylander, San Jose eats salary on Karlsson, trade away Murray to Montreal, buy out Brodie, roughly in my head I think that would make them cap compliant or very close. 

End result wouldn't be any better though as a whole. Probably worse than they were with ROR. 

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Why would somebody quote the "AAV" aka the Average Annual Value of a 1 year bonus-ineligible contract?  When you divide the sum of any single number by 1 it ends up the same.  Would've been more fun had he provided the "median" or even the mean or the mode.  (Hint: they all have a face value of $1,670,000.)  (Not directed at you @Brawndo, but Mr. Seravalli.)

Especially when he uses the term "actual" before AAV.  Will bet nearly any amount of money that DeAngelo doesn't ACTUALLY end up with $1,670,000 after everything is prorated to 50% of HRR.

It is pretty silly, although I could see using it out of habit as short-hand for "salary cap hit".

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, MattPie said:

It is pretty silly, although I could see using it out of habit as short-hand for "salary cap hit".

Yes, but by preceding AAV with the word actual, his "short-hand" is actually 3 characters (counting blank spaces) longer than simply writing "cap hit."

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yes, but by preceding AAV with the word actual, his "short-hand" is actually 3 characters (counting blank spaces) longer than simply writing "cap hit."

He wrote actual because he was clarifying his earlier tweet where he said it would be in the $1.6M range.

Not many bright spots for the Bruins franchise (from my point of view) but Bergeron is certainly one of them and potentially the brightest.  Always respected him and how he played the game. 

A great career.

And as Sabres fan.. grateful he's no longer there 🙂

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Played for the bruins, but Bergeron was a nice player and had class unlike most of that team.

Can't believe the fans got mad at him for not deciding earlier if he would play or not, didn't get much respect from some of that fanbase.

That's not true. I was just over at the Bruins site and there's pages and pages of "Merci Patrice" and you know typing out a French word is really difficult for chowder heads. There's a sadness there but mostly a lot of thank yous. Didn't read a single "mad at him for not deciding earlier" post. 

I know a lot of you hate the Bruins, but Patrice was a class act and an incredible team captain. Sabres could have used a captain like him. Class to the end.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/a-statement-from-patrice-bergeron/c-345429764

I think it really does end an era for the Bruins though. Their prospect pool is garbage aside from Lohrei (left D) and their fall will be fast and hard. 7-9 free agents after this year, Marchand old and broken down, it's likely the end.

So with that alternate team slipping away I REALLY NEED the Sabres to finally get it right. One more reason here the time is right. KA needs to make the final moves and seize the moment!!!!

On 7/24/2023 at 11:14 AM, French Collection said:

Travis Yost of TSN saying that the Leafs may have to buy out TJ Brodie and Matt Murray to become cap compliant.

Brodie has been good, he may be a casualty due to his age and expiring contract.

Don’t they have 48 hours after the arb. Settlement to buyout players? Settlement came down Sunday afternoon so if they don’t buy anyone out today they lose that option.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's not true. I was just over at the Bruins site and there's pages and pages of "Merci Patrice" and you know typing out a French word is really difficult for chowder heads. There's a sadness there but mostly a lot of thank yous. Didn't read a single "mad at him for not deciding earlier" post. 

I know a lot of you hate the Bruins, but Patrice was a class act and an incredible team captain. Sabres could have used a captain like him. Class to the end.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/a-statement-from-patrice-bergeron/c-345429764

I think it really does end an era for the Bruins though. Their prospect pool is garbage aside from Lohrei (left D) and their fall will be fast and hard. 7-9 free agents after this year, Marchand old and broken down, it's likely the end.

So with that alternate team slipping away I REALLY NEED the Sabres to finally get it right. One more reason here the time is right. KA needs to make the final moves and seize the moment!!!!

Its true though, on a lot of forums bruins fans were getting mad at him for taking so long to decide while their center depth is iffy at best.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Its true though, on a lot of forums bruins fans were getting mad at him for taking so long to decide while their center depth is iffy at best.

Well I don't doubt it because on the internet there's a spot for everybody to get mad at something. It's not on the Bruins site I go to though. That one is all good for "the captain" and they are just currently obsessed with how much Trent Frederic will get if he goes to arbitration. 

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Don’t they have 48 hours after the arb. Settlement to buyout players? Settlement came down Sunday afternoon so if they don’t buy anyone out today they lose that option.

They have 48 hours after whatever is the last potential arbitration settlement they could walk away from gets awarded (or finalized, it's possible they could come to an agreement before actually getting to arbitration with that last one.

So, if Samsonov is the only Loaf heading to arbitration or there are no more Loafs heading to arbitration that the Loafs could potentially walk away from that later arbitration award, then yes, they need to have made a decision by now.  But if somebody else is player elected arbitration eligible and there is a possibility of the contract award being big enough then they still have time to make a decision.

• Thanks (+1) 1