Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

22 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Makar was on that team.  That would be huge if he were involved.  😞

Would it be "huge"?

Seems to me Doug Gilmour never paid the price. Neither did Pronger and others in the past. Maybe times have changed, but I can't remember Ben Roethlisberger losing his stature in Pittsburgh can you? 

Big stars never pay the price. Sad, but true. 

15 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Owen Power mentioned... Jack Quinn twice

I am devastated that Quinn is injured. I thought he might be like Cozens as just have a glow up to like 60pts. Now my hope is JJP takes that step. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I am devastated that Quinn is injured. I thought he might be like Cozens as just have a glow up to like 60pts. Now my hope is JJP takes that step. 

I thought he would get around 25 goals this year.

JJP should get more opportunities and be full of confidence from his success at the World Championships. He also should be putting on a few pounds of muscle over the summer.

On 7/12/2023 at 6:02 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Would it be "huge"?

Seems to me Doug Gilmour never paid the price. Neither did Pronger and others in the past. Maybe times have changed, but I can't remember Ben Roethlisberger losing his stature in Pittsburgh can you? 

Big stars never pay the price. Sad, but true. 

Big Ben did lose a lot of support in Pittsburgh and with his teammates. His reputation of being a jerk and bad behavior was not a secret in that town. There were bars where he was not allowed in because of his prior inappropriate (understated) conduct towards women. Even his own family let him know how disappointed they were in him as a family member. 

To his credit, during his suspension he seemed to take the time to self-reflect on the destructive course he was taking. He then manned and took responsibility for his actions and put in the effort to what it took to become a better person. How he changed as a person is a good example of redemption.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Big Ben did lose a lot of support in Pittsburgh and with his teammates. His reputation of being a jerk and bad behavior was not a secret in that town. There were bars where he was not allowed in because of his prior inappropriate (understated) conduct towards women. Even his own family let him know how disappointed they were in him as a family member. 

To his credit, during his suspension he seemed to take the time to self-reflect on the destructive course he was taking. He then manned and took responsibility for his actions and put in the effort to what it took to become a better person. How he changed as a person is a good example of redemption.

Oh yes I know, he "found god" like so many others. But did he really change or was that all necessary PR? 

Look, most, if not all, of the hockey players who have been involved in less than upstanding behavior in their younger days eventually mature into men and I'm sure some of them regret things from their youth, but that doesn't change the things they did. My point is simply that when it comes to star players, fans are very forgiving and very quick to make excuses or believe the party line. I will be surprised if anything comes of this in the end. It'll get brushed under and whitewashed as always. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Yeah I don't care about the story. Once a rapist always a rapist.

He's only sorry because he got caught  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

It is very early in the off-season, but I’m starting to wonder about Auston Matthews potential contract extension with the Leafs. While there’s no rush, isn’t there a rush? The Leafs cannot walk Matthews to UFA, and I’m slightly surprised we have not seen an extension. Is trouble brewing?

(the trouble brewing is just message board fodder, but we are on a message board, soooooo where is the extension???)

27 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

It is very early in the off-season, but I’m starting to wonder about Auston Matthews potential contract extension with the Leafs. While there’s no rush, isn’t there a rush? The Leafs cannot walk Matthews to UFA, and I’m slightly surprised we have not seen an extension. Is trouble brewing?

(the trouble brewing is just message board fodder, but we are on a message board, soooooo where is the extension???)

Of course there's trouble. Leafs let him go past the point of his no trade kicking in and so now he can hold them hostage and force them to make him the highest paid player in the league (which apparently is his ask) and if they don't, he can just walk like Tavares did to the islanders. Don't forget, Nylander is holding them hostage again wanting over 10 million apparently. They are screwed. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

They are trying to figure out how to sign their starting goalie while being $8.8 million over the cap already.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/18/2023 at 12:04 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Of course there's trouble. Leafs let him go past the point of his no trade kicking in and so now he can hold them hostage and force them to make him the highest paid player in the league (which apparently is his ask) and if they don't, he can just walk like Tavares did to the islanders. Don't forget, Nylander is holding them hostage again wanting over 10 million apparently. They are screwed. 

Here is my opinion of the Leafs in short:  They have a chance at ONE cup in the next couple of years, but they are unlikely to be a dominant, presidents trophy caliber team going forward year after year. Why?

-Their 'core' (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares) has 3 of the 4 guys at the pefect age, their statistical peak, and Tavares isn't totally over the hill yet. They have 4 stars/superstars and most of them are at the top of your game. Anything can happen and that gives them a shot at going deep into the playoffs.

-They aren't likely to be dominant for along time simply because they do not have anything close to a bargain that allows them to do other things.  Other teams they have to compet with have the following:

-Jack Hughes is on pace to contend for a future MVP and hes long term for $8m per year
-Hintz put up almost 40 in the last couple years and he is long term at $8.4m long term.
-Tage Thompson in Buf put up 40 last year and almost 50 this year (playing hurt toward the end of the season) at $7.1m
-Robertson in Dallas has 87 goals in the last 2 years and is at $7.7

We don't even have to bring up that McKinnon and the Avs won a cup in large part of him being on one the biggest bargain contracts in the league.  Or how productive Cozens is already and MAY be in the future at $7m per season.

Tavares at $11m, Marner at 10.9m, Matthews at $11.6 now and soon to be 13+m?  Nylander at 7m now and wants close to 10?  Do they or will they even have ONE bargain of their starts like any of the ones listed above?

The Leafs MAY get their cup in the next 2-3 years (this coming season I think is their best shot), but they are going to require some luck to do that.  

Edited by mjd1001

Something will need to happen in Toronto for sure. 1 of their "big 3" ($10 mil + contracts, Mathews, Marner, Tavares) are the low hanging fruit for such a solution, but not the most likely imo. A Nylander and Murray combo move is not out of the realm of possibilities I suppose. We'll see what they do as the off season progresses but as of right now, I don't see the Leafs as a true contender.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Something will need to happen in Toronto for sure. 1 of their "big 3" ($10 mil + contracts, Mathews, Marner, Tavares) are the low hanging fruit for such a solution, but not the most likely imo. A Nylander and Murray combo move is not out of the realm of possibilities I suppose. We'll see what they do as the off season progresses but as of right now, I don't see the Leafs as a true contender.

Sure, a Nylander Murray combo move makes infinite sense from TO's perspective.  But what does the team obtaining them get other than an offensive guy that won't go anywhere near the net and a very expensive injury prone 'meh' goalie.  They SHOULD need to add a lot of sweetener to make that appealing to anybody.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Sure, a Nylander Murray combo move makes infinite sense from TO's perspective.  But what does the team obtaining them get other than an offensive guy that won't go anywhere near the net and a very expensive injury prone 'meh' goalie.  They SHOULD need to add a lot of sweetener to make that appealing to anybody.

I agree

• Like (+1) 1

Nosek signs with New Jersey 1million 1 year. I personally would have preferred him between Girgs and Okposo than Jost. Excellent face off man and penalty killer and he wouldn't block the youth coming up either. New Jersey is making smart moves. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/tomas-nosek-joins-devils-on-one-year-one-way-contract/

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Here is my opinion of the Leafs in short:  They have a chance at ONE cup in the next couple of years, but they are unlikely to be a dominant, presidents trophy caliber team going forward year after year. Why?

-Their 'core' (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares) has 3 of the 4 guys at the pefect age, their statistical peak, and Tavares isn't totally over the hill yet. They have 4 stars/superstars and most of them are at the top of your game. Anything can happen and that gives them a shot at going deep into the playoffs.

-They aren't likely to be dominant for along time simply because they do not have anything close to a bargain that allows them to do other things.  Other teams they have to compet with have the following:

-Jack Hughes is on pace to contend for a future MVP and hes long term for $8m per year
-Hintz put up almost 40 in the last couple years and he is long term at $8.4m long term.
-Tage Thompson in Buf put up 40 last year and almost 50 this year (playing hurt toward the end of the season) at $7.1m
-Robertson in Dallas has 87 goals in the last 2 years and is at $7.7

We don't even have to bring up that McKinnon and the Avs won a cup in large part of him being on one the biggest bargain contracts in the league.  Or how productive Cozens is already and MAY be in the future at $7m per season.

Tavares at $11m, Marner at 10.9m, Matthews at $11.6 now and soon to be 13+m?  Nylander at 7m now and wants close to 10?  Do they or will they even have ONE bargain of their starts like any of the ones listed above?

The Leafs MAY get their cup in the next 2-3 years (this coming season I think is their best shot), but they are going to require some luck to do that.  

I agree with the assessment except I don't think they have a realistic shot at the cup unless the universe really lines up perfectly for them and they get massive puck luck all the way (favourable match ups, opponents injuries, etc etc). 

They just don't have a good enough D and their bottom 6 isn't very good either. They added this year and still failed. Matthews just isn't a playoff guy. I just can't see it happening as they are a regular season team and not a playoff team. There's a lesson in that in terms of how you build. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree with the assessment except I don't think they have a realistic shot at the cup unless the universe really lines up perfectly for them and they get massive puck luck all the way (favourable match ups, opponents injuries, etc etc). 

They just don't have a good enough D and their bottom 6 isn't very good either. They added this year and still failed. Matthews just isn't a playoff guy. I just can't see it happening as they are a regular season team and not a playoff team. There's a lesson in that in terms of how you build. 

I agree with most of what you said.  Which is why I said they 'could' win 'one'. There is always a chance they have (or find) a hot goalie at the right time, and their other main competitors fall behind, and they have injury luck while their main competitors have major injuries.  

Do I think that will happen this year? No, which is why I don't think they will win a cup this year...BUT this year and next year are their best shots.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

I don't think they move out Nylander because they already know that Matthews doesn't want to stay.

I think Nylander is gone.

Their mistake was what they paid Tavares.

AM will stay and get 13+ but there smartest move would be trade AM for a king's ransom and fix a few areas of their team but that'll never happen.

Edited by Ducky
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I don't think they move out Nylander because they already know that Matthews doesn't want to stay.

Hoping you're right, but not expecting it.  Want Willie to have a very long career and retire as a Loaf all while never seeing any other organization.