Athletic "reorganizing" with huge layoffs

Crusader1969

Their revenue has increased since the NY Times bought it, though it still loses money. That means high-priced "talent" has to go. If they get rid of deadwood like Tim Graham, that would be an improvement -- both in their coverage and their bottom line.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If they drop local coverage of teams they'll find their subscriptions decline.

I read a lot of other stuff from the site - Lebrun, Duhatschek, Wheeler and Russo in particular - but if Fairbairn is gone I might be too.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

My renewal is up in August.  Went to cancel and it offered me 1 yr for $24. So I will hang around for another year. 

I've been a subscriber since day one always re-upping with deals like this. 

I love their NFL draft coverage. 

I use their site to follow the Cleveland Guardians and the MLB in general. I also use their fantasy baseball info at draft time and throughout the season. 

And I read their Bills and Sabres coverage with Buscaglia and Fairburn. 

I also like Pronman's NHL prospects coverage.

I hope it sticks around and none of that is affected because I really enjoy The Athletic. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

That's why the newspaper decided to buy them out.

Like Ted DiBiase, the Million Dollar Man used to say..."Everyone has a price"

People called Dave Portnoy a sellout, to which he said "'f### yeah, I'm a sellout. And you'd be to if someone brought a dump truck full of money to you."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So aggravating how they want to just keep pushing EPL on us in the states when the vast majority of us either don’t care or have merely a passing interest in foreign leagues not pertaining to our more immediate sports.

Plus the Athletic was supposed to be the local beat reporter people to begin with so this goes against their very original demographic 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.