Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

3 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

As much as I like Dahlin and Power neither should be getting $10 million. They should be paid under Makar and Fox. Dahlin still needs a lot of work in his own end and Power is way too young and hasn’t proven much to demand a big contract.

Whether I think they should or not due you really think no other team will give Dahlin 10 million?

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

As much as I like Dahlin and Power neither should be getting $10 million. They should be paid under Makar and Fox. Dahlin still needs a lot of work in his own end and Power is way too young and hasn’t proven much to demand a big contract.

Wrong. 

First, Makar signed in June of 2021 for 9 mil. For 6 years.

Salaries go up. Sorry, they just do. So more than 2 years later, Makar today (Summer 2023), would easily get 11 mil per, and perhaps more. True story.

So, Dahlin signing in 2023 (that doesn’t kick in until Fall of 2024) for 10.5 mil. per or somewhere close to that is in fact less than what Makar would get in 2024 if he signed with Colorado today.

Same logic applies to Fox who signed in Nov. 2021 and it started in fall of 2022 for 7 years for 9.5 mil. per. He would absolutely positively get paid more if he signed today with the Rangers.

As much as you don’t like it… You are paying Power not only for his current ability but for his youth, his best years, and projected improved ability and development. And management is very comfortable knowing much more than we ever would… What his projected improved ability and development looks like.

And as much as you don’t like it, all teams do this. All of them. In all major sports.

27 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Wrong. 

First, Makar signed in June of 2021 for 9 mil. For 6 years.

Salaries go up. Sorry, they just do. So more than 2 years later, Makar today (Summer 2023), would easily get 11 mil per, and perhaps more. True story.

So, Dahlin signing in 2023 (that doesn’t kick in until Fall of 2024) for 10.5 mil. per or somewhere close to that is in fact less than what Makar would get in 2024 if he signed with Colorado today.

Same logic applies to Fox who signed in Nov. 2021 and it started in fall of 2022 for 7 years for 9.5 mil. per. He would absolutely positively get paid more if he signed today with the Rangers.

As much as you don’t like it… You are paying Power not only for his current ability but for his youth, his best years, and projected improved ability and development. And management is very comfortable knowing much more than we ever would… What his projected improved ability and development looks like.

And as much as you don’t like it, all teams do this. All of them. In all major sports.

Regarding salaries increasing with the cap, that’s true, but also only part of the reason that Dahlin could make more than Makar or Fox.

There is also the issue of RFA years versus UFA years. UFA years generally are a good amount more expensive to get a guy under contract than RFA years are.  This is because players have a lot money re control and leverage over those years are are thus able to command more money.

Both those other guys’ contracts started directly after their ELCs, which means that 4 out of their 6 or 7 contract years are RFA years.  Compare this to Dahlin signing after a 3 year bridge deal.  This means that only 1 out of 6 or 7 or 8 years would be would be an RFA year, the rest would be UFA years.  That is also going to slant Dahlin’s contract towards being more expensive.

8 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

You can never really just look at the raw AAV numbers of other players to decide how much someone should be paid.  It’s going to be influenced by some factors that are a little more nuanced than that.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

In regards to Power, getting a large 2nd contract(after playing only 1 year) is not happening in the NFL, pretty sure is not happening in MLB, and have no idea about the NBA. 

51 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

In regards to Power, getting a large 2nd contract(after playing only 1 year) is not happening in the NFL, pretty sure is not happening in MLB, and have no idea about the NBA. 

In MLB this is definitely happening.  Teams are locking up elite young talent to big contracts very early.  Sometimes before before they even completed one MLB season.

In the NBA, it doesn’t happen after one year because the contract structures don’t really allow for that, but teams often fall all over themselves to pay their top young guys as soon as they can.

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Look, I was wrong on timing and I’ll admit it but if anyone thinks it all summer to go from 8 years, $10M to 8 years, $11M, then I really don’t know what to say.

But just for those who will have something to say

I was wrong.

The person who was most “wrong” was Andrew Peters. 

He  was the one gaslighting local fans into believing star players like Dahlin are no longer signing max term deals. 

I like their podcast for the insight into some of my favorite teams of yesteryear, but the stuff they spit out is un-researched and unconnected garbage. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Look, I was wrong on timing and I’ll admit it but if anyone thinks it all summer to go from 8 years, $10M to 8 years, $11M, then I really don’t know what to say.

I was wrong.

Dude you were very close on the deal. Like super close! Just the “urgency” was off. Like someone mentioned… It was probably just an agent waiting it out a little bit longer. And it paid off with getting him another million dollars a year. 👍🏼

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I was wrong.

You have always been the board’s top source for inside information. 

Thanks for sharing all the information you can and keep up the great work  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.