"Around the NHL Summer 2023:Teams Not in Finals Edition."

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I think it is important to remember that at the beginning of 2021-22, Donny's first full season as HC, he had Mitts at 1C coming out of camp.  Even with his struggles, he's worthy of that and only lost that slot due to injury in Game 1 that year.  Thrilled with the emergence of Tage at 1C, as well as Cozens' development, but that doesn't take away from Mitts' talent and the way he's overcome his injury setbacks.  The way his game has evolved I can easily picture a playoff scenario where the top line is neutralized; the second line holds its own, but the game is won by Mitts and the third line.  When the clutching and grabbing kick in I think Mitts will best be able to handle it, at least right away (I have no doubt Tage and Cozens will learn how to battle, but I think Mitts is already there).

Cozens is the one who already is there, I think.

I am opening my mind a bit on Mittelstadt--I haven't demanded a trade in a while--but while the Sabres need C depth, they need D depth more, and if the right trade is there, they should take it.  

@MarvinSavoie's disappointing appearance in the Calder semifinals (and yes I am aware of the BN opinion piece stating that it was unfair to paradrop him in there--which is one of the reasons why I asked whom he was replacing in the Rochester game threads)--does mean that the Sabres need to pay a little more attention to C depth, though.  I can acknowledge that, too.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

After a little Googling, he is apparently deep in development- worked coaching at several colleges, US NTDP, minor pro teams and assistant to NHL teams.  To the Ducks they may think they've got the next Don Granato.

I'm now realizing how badly I've lost my grip on how much time has passed.  I didn't realize he left Northeastern so long ago. 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Who?

It says he has 36 years of prior coaching. By that picture, he must’ve been coaching since the age of 10. Must be a prodigy. 

Edit: lol. Must be an aged photo. Guy is 60. 

Edited by kas23

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

It says he has 36 years of prior coaching. By that picture, he must’ve been coaching since the age of 10. Must be a prodigy. 

Edit: lol. Must be an aged photo. Guy is 60. 

I had the same thought but didn't bother to deep dive it.  He did start coaching while he was still in college from what I saw.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.