The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Needless to say, all options are open. I'm not leaning one way or the other. If he can be part of a deal for a 4/5 defenseman, I'm more than receptive. My main point about him is that he has a shooting skill that we and other teams can utilize. Will it be in Buffalo? I don't know. 

More likely other teams could utilize.  Really hard pressed to see who he keeps out of the lineup with just what we know they'll have in October.  Any other additions up front and there simply isn't room for this potential 30 goal scorer.  (My how this team has evolved from even just 2 seasons ago.)

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you see Borgen in some ways being similar to Lyubushkin, you are basically categorizing him as a third pairing type of player. That's the point I am making. I would be happy adding that caliber of player to the mix. In fact, if we add two of those type of players to the unit it would be very beneficial. It would bulk up the unit and create much needed depth. 

Oh yes, ultimately, on a GOOD D core he's a solid bottom pairing guy. No question on that. I would just say in the interim, as you work towards that D he's a better 2nd pairing stop gap and compliment to Power than what we are currently doing. 

Do I want a better top 4 guy added, absolutely, but any improvement is better than no improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes, to the bolded.

With 1 year prior to becoming an UFA, his trade value will diminish to close to 0 within 1 year.  He has a very good shot and is reasonable as a passer.  There are many teams that have a need for a pure goal scorer.  With the additions of Jost and Greenway, and the potential additions of Savoie, Rousek/Kulich, &/or a 4C simply don't see Olofsson fitting into the top 12 when the team is reasonably healthy even if Okposo &/or Girgensons aren't back.

He HAS value, but expect his value is greater for a team that isn't top 3 in goal scoring leaguewide.  Really hope they trade him as he could (either on his own, or more likely in a package) bring back something they need and will have more value than the 30 or so games he'd play before he walks in FA.

I forgot about Jost.

He won’t score 28 but his versatility is an asset and I don’t think he would be opposed to 13F, where VO is not really suited for that role.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

What happened to this team?

Its not a stretch to say that 6 years ago they were where we seem to be now: young, deep and positioned for a long window of contention.

Interesting comparison, and we could falter and lose all our future promise in a heartbeat as well (hope not).  

Why have they failed? Several things I think. 

Goalie has been a little like Ullmark now with the Bruins. Great at times in the regular season but not a playoff stud. At least not always. 

Solid forward group at times but D has never been a strength. Sometimes injured, sometimes just lacking depth, Morrissey can't do everything. 

Some forwards on that team are quitters. Bad leadership core I guess. Team falls apart in adversity. Don't know the team well enough to say for sure but I suspect that plays in to it. Players have wanted out of there periodically and others might not be happy to be there. That'd be my guess. 

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes, to the bolded.

With 1 year prior to becoming an UFA, his trade value will diminish to close to 0 within 1 year.  He has a very good shot and is reasonable as a passer.  There are many teams that have a need for a pure goal scorer.  With the additions of Jost and Greenway, and the potential additions of Savoie, Rousek/Kulich, &/or a 4C simply don't see Olofsson fitting into the top 12 when the team is reasonably healthy even if Okposo &/or Girgensons aren't back.

He HAS value, but expect his value is greater for a team that isn't top 3 in goal scoring leaguewide.  Really hope they trade him as he could (either on his own, or more likely in a package) bring back something they need and will have more value than the 30 or so games he'd play before he walks in FA.

The one positive thing that happened this season compared to past seasons is that lines below the top two lines were scoring goals. It wasn't a significant amount but enough to contribute and keep other teams honest. If Olofsson is on a lower line and helps it produce more, that would be a bonus for this team. Whether it is the lower pairing or lines, getting more contributions from the bottom of the roster make this team better. 

Edited by JohnC

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh yes, ultimately, on a GOOD D core he's a solid bottom pairing guy. No question on that. I would just say in the interim, as you work towards that D he's a better 2nd pairing stop gap and compliment to Power than what we are currently doing. 

Do I want a better top 4 guy added, absolutely, but any improvement is better than no improvement.

I consider Joki a better option on the second pair for Power than your fellow. We disagree. That's okay. 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

gross

For you. Not me. It's a Bobby Orr thing. (yes, I'm that old). Childhood. Team colours (same as my hometown and first sports team the Hamilton Tiger Cats). I've gone over this in older threads. French Connection turned me into a Sabres fan, although Gare, Schoenfeld and Dudley were actually my favourite players from that era. What an era that was!!!

Bruins winning has helped keep me (semi)sane during this horrible Sabres decade. I honestly don't know how many of you don't lose your love for hockey watching only the Sabres. It must be truly horrible to live like that and watch the playoffs every year without them. That to me seems "gross". 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I consider Joki a better option on the second pair for Power than your fellow. We disagree. That's okay. 

Ya, that's a BIG disagreement. I think he is a horrible defenseman. He can survive as a bottom pairing guy if paired with a solid defensively responsible guy but I'd rather he was just made obsolete. He holds back Power's development imo. 

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

More likely other teams could utilize.  Really hard pressed to see who he keeps out of the lineup with just what we know they'll have in October.  Any other additions up front and there simply isn't room for this potential 30 goal scorer.  (My how this team has evolved from even just 2 seasons ago.)

As you point out, it wasn't too long ago when the dearth of talent resulted in so many players playing/slotted higher than where they should be. Just think, we are now talking about a player who scored close to 30 goals (28) and discussing whether he should be on the roster. Even an ingrained pessimist should be impressed enough to being a cautious optimist. 🍷

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

For you. Not me. It's a Bobby Orr thing. (yes, I'm that old). Childhood. Team colours (same as my hometown and first sports team the Hamilton Tiger Cats). I've gone over this in older threads. French Connection turned me into a Sabres fan, although Gare, Schoenfeld and Dudley were actually my favourite players from that era. What an era that was!!!

Bruins winning has helped keep me (semi)sane during this horrible Sabres decade. I honestly don't know how many of you don't lose your love for hockey watching only the Sabres. It must be truly horrible to live like that and watch the playoffs every year without them. That to me seems "gross". 

Ya, that's a BIG disagreement. I think he is a horrible defenseman. He can survive as a bottom pairing guy if paired with a solid defensively responsible guy but I'd rather he was just made obsolete. He holds back Power's development imo. 

From my observations, it is the opposite. Power is thriving playing with the player that you are so dismissive of. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

From my observations, it is the opposite. Power is thriving playing with the player that you are so dismissive of. 

Power thrives with Clague as his partner.  Pretty sure it's the rookie, not the other guy making that pairing.

Have said all year, wanted to see somebody better than Jokiharju teamed with Power so Power could be "unleashed" so to speak and know there was a pretty strong possibility that any mistakes he makes get covered and so that he wouldn't need to be focused on covering for his partner's shortcomings.

Pretty sure Adams feels the same way, though he isn't going to throw Henri under the bus.  There's also a possibility that Henri will still improve from where he is.  He is significantly better than he was right after Scandella left.  (He's probably better than he was when he was paired with Scandella, but not positive of that.  A case could be made he was the Sabres best or 2nd best D-man when he had Scandella as a partner.)  But Power (and the team) deserves to have HIS Scandella that will allow him to do the things he's capable of without worrying that he's going to get hung out to dry doing so.  Get that guy (maybe he's currently on one of the teams that made the playoffs (bringing this back to the topic of the thread 😉 ) so the top 4 is legit and that along with Levi (and ideally another quality NHLer in net, maybe he's on a playoff team currently) will go a long way towards ensuring the team is in the mix for top 3 in the division and solidly in a playoff spot when April arrives.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Power thrives with Clague as his partner.  Pretty sure it's the rookie, not the other guy making that pairing.

Have said all year, wanted to see somebody better than Jokiharju teamed with Power so Power could be "unleashed" so to speak and know there was a pretty strong possibility that any mistakes he makes get covered and so that he wouldn't need to be focused on covering for his partner's shortcomings.

Pretty sure Adams feels the same way, though he isn't going to throw Henri under the bus.  There's also a possibility that Henri will still improve from where he is.  He is significantly better than he was right after Scandella left.  (He's probably better than he was when he was paired with Scandella, but not positive of that.  A case could be made he was the Sabres best or 2nd best D-man when he had Scandella as a partner.)  But Power (and the team) deserves to have HIS Scandella that will allow him to do the things he's capable of without worrying that he's going to get hung out to dry doing so.  Get that guy (maybe he's currently on one of the teams that made the playoffs (bringing this back to the topic of the thread 😉 ) so the top 4 is legit and that along with Levi (and ideally another quality NHLer in net, maybe he's on a playoff team currently) will go a long way towards ensuring the team is in the mix for top 3 in the division and solidly in a playoff spot when April arrives.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. A veteran reliable (primarily) stay at home guy so Power can worry less about being perfect and try things and "unleash" his full potential like you say. 

I'm pretty sure Power will be fine regardless, he has the right character, but I think he'd develop faster and maybe even better in that sort of scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's full on locker room vs. coach, who will win? 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/jets-wheeler-on-bowness-i-didnt-like-how-he-handled-himself-after-the-game/?__vfz=medium%3Dconversations_top_pages

I especially liked how he says the playoffs is the most important thing in their lives for some guys, "not for me" but some guys. (I know he meant his kids are the most important thing in his life but it still comes off beautifully hilarious. That team is f'd. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Love Bobby Orr. Hate the Bruins.

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

What happened to this team?

Its not a stretch to say that 6 years ago they were where we seem to be now: young, deep and positioned for a long window of contention.

Exactly. You just never know how long your window will last, probably explains some of the hesitancy among some to get it started. 

Hockey News proclaimed: “Cup Champs 2019” for Jets. They were “ahead of schedule” in 2018. It turns out it was the only year this core managed to win a playoff round, save one early series win in “Canadian division”. 

Can even go back to whispers in 2015 that the Jets weren’t fixing their room, at all, when dealing Kane

Just now, pastajoe said:

Toronto gets away with an obvious high stick to face right as period ends.

Tampa's been getting away with some blatant, more than usual, interference all third as well. Whatever.

I absolutely hate Tampa, but Matthews' face going to break just tells me TO is losing this game. He's kind of a drip.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.