The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

Well, it hired Rick Bowness, for one thing.  Check out his lifetime coaching record--it is a litany of sixth- and seventh-place finishes--and then try to explain to me why teams keep hiring him.

That they went there was one of the most telling symptoms 

From where that ref was, I can see why he didn't call that high stick. If he calls that and it was one of those fakes where the stick didn't hit him, but he acts like it did, then they go on to win on an undeserved power play, that's way worse than just not calling anything.

Edited by SwampD

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Power thrives with Clague as his partner.  Pretty sure it's the rookie, not the other guy making that pairing.

Have said all year, wanted to see somebody better than Jokiharju teamed with Power so Power could be "unleashed" so to speak and know there was a pretty strong possibility that any mistakes he makes get covered and so that he wouldn't need to be focused on covering for his partner's shortcomings.

Pretty sure Adams feels the same way, though he isn't going to throw Henri under the bus.  There's also a possibility that Henri will still improve from where he is.  He is significantly better than he was right after Scandella left.  (He's probably better than he was when he was paired with Scandella, but not positive of that.  A case could be made he was the Sabres best or 2nd best D-man when he had Scandella as a partner.)  But Power (and the team) deserves to have HIS Scandella that will allow him to do the things he's capable of without worrying that he's going to get hung out to dry doing so.  Get that guy (maybe he's currently on one of the teams that made the playoffs (bringing this back to the topic of the thread 😉 ) so the top 4 is legit and that along with Levi (and ideally another quality NHLer in net, maybe he's on a playoff team currently) will go a long way towards ensuring the team is in the mix for top 3 in the division and solidly in a playoff spot when April arrives.

It's obvious that I'm more positive about Joki than everyone here. And it should be noted that Joki was mostly paired with Power in his stellar year. So I don't see him as him being a hinderance to Power. I still see more upside to him. However, I do agree that if a better player is brought in who isn't straddling the 4/5 rating, that would be a good thing for the unit. 

This is simply my opinion but I don't see the GM bringing in another goalie. Comrie was plagued with injuries this season that never allowed him to get into a rhythm. And that is how I see the GM viewing the goalie's performance this year.  I just don't feel that the organization has given up on UPL. I see the same trio in the room with UPL and Comrie competing for the backup role. 

This is going to be an interesting offseason. 

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Thank God it wasn't Matthews.

Good lord, how awesome would a TO/EDM final be?

On a scale of 0-100, it would be a -572.

F' TO and everything and everyone associated with it ('ceptin' the Blue Jays and the handful of posters here that are from there).

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

On a scale of 0-100, it would be a -572.

F' TO and everything and everyone associated with it ('ceptin' the Blue Jays and the handful of posters here that are from there).

It would be a million times better than Boston verses Vegas. JFC, even the thought of that makes me want to kick a puppy.

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It would be a million times better than Boston verses Vegas. JFC, even the thought of that makes me want to kick a puppy.

It might be marginally better.  But when you're done watching, does it really matter whether you want to wash your eyes out with bleach or gasoline?  Wouldn't watch either.

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Nah. Edmonton (especially their whiny coach) and the Leafs both suck. I’d prefer any American team in the final, for my part

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.