The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

On 4/29/2023 at 9:49 AM, dudacek said:

What happened to this team?

Its not a stretch to say that 6 years ago they were where we seem to be now: young, deep and positioned for a long window of contention.

You mean to tell us that in professional sports six-year plans don't always (or even usually and maybe even never) work out?

Every season's a distinct entity.

Go make the playoffs, Sabres.

They can shove 2029 up their bippy.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The Bruins better take this as signal about their overall team play as well.  Ullmark is not the only reason this series is 3-3. 

Absolutely. Starting the backup goalie is as much about a galvanizing rallying point for the team as anything else. I mean they’re benching the presumptive Vezina winner for crissakes. 

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Makes the most sense. I think if Swayman wins and looks good doing it then we may have seen the last of Ullmark in the playoffs. 

Maybe. If they lose for sure. If they win they might still make switches.

Foligno out is a good move. He hasn't been impressive. Most interesting (if it's true) is Gryzlyk with McAvoy and Orlov with Forbert. Balancing the 3 D pairs rather than loading up and going primarily with 4 in a game 7. This move will be controversial with fans if they lose. Forbert hasn't been very good. 

It will be interesting to see what Lindy does as well. Shmid came in and played great but Rangers sort of seemed to have figured him out last game so will he stick with him or go back to the season starter? Tough decision. 

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Ullmark  Benched tonight

Right call I think

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Makes the most sense. I think if Swayman wins and looks good doing it then we may have seen the last of Ullmark in the playoffs. 

I doubt it. The bruins found success this year partly *because* of the fact Swayman spelled Ullmark so much and they battled together (48 starts for Ullmark, 33 for Swayman). If you think about it, starting Ullmark 6 straight games was what was messing with a winning formula. If they advance, I imagine both GTs see work going forward 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Night Train said:

Boston goes for a Goalie change in game 7.  Not the best coaching move. Ullmark was struggling and they waited. He hadn't played more than 4 games in a row all year. Talk about pressure. 

4 games thing is a good point 

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

I'll take a stab at some of their problems...

Had a good run in 2018 and then lost to the Blues on their way to the cup. The Jets didn't show up for that elimination game and that should have been an eye opener for management.

Over that summer they lost Buff, Trouba, Myers and Chiarot (4 of our top 6 D men) and Chevy replaced them with AHL players for two seasons wasting prime years of Scheif, Helle, Wheeler, KC, Ehlers, Morrissey, etc...

Also, not much is said about KC but he is absolutely horrible in his own end but he scores goals so most fans like him.

Nobody held them accountable when they didn't play D. You can't get away with not playing responsible D in the playoffs.

I have little problems with Bowness, he preaches D and tells it like it is but we were missing 3 of our top 6 and a top 5 league wide D man. We weren't getting by Vegas with all 4 of those players out.

Wheeler needs to be on the next bus out of town followed by PLD. If Scheif's give a ***** factor and play doesn't improve next season, I'd move him at the TD. Schmidt at 5.95m per season should also be moved...Heinola at 1m can replace him.

Unfortunately, I don't see a rebuild this summer.

2019 but ya. 

I definitely think it’s high time for a rebuild, but I agree with you I don’t see it happening this summer. Cheveldayoff is on a lifetime contract as GM so I don’t think he feels much pressure in ever doing anything 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Montour is the one that got away 

When he was here, he played like he didn’t want to be here.  We rarely saw this Montour.  It’s too bad this team became a hellscape for other NHL players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You mean to tell us that in professional sports six-year plans don't always (or even usually and maybe even never) work out?

You're allowed to stop following the Sabres and still find misery elsewhere in your life.

21 minutes ago, Weave said:

When he was here, he played like he didn’t want to be here.  We rarely saw this Montour.  It’s too bad this team became a hellscape for other NHL players.

So true.  40 years of a proud history wipeout by the public and purposeful decision to suffer and tank. 

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

film fire GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.