The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Our beloved leader laughed at his minus on a goal, didn't bother mentioning his team leading "pluses" all year and would probably call you a caveman for using the metric if you wanted to mention it

Like you say, when vegas missed last year it was all on Jack but when they get the one seed, at absolute best you hear crickets. Then they lose one game and it's a pile on. Brainlet stuff

Alex Tuch is better than Jack Eichel. Basically the only thing I care about. 

sidenote, Alec Martinzes leads the Knights in +/- not Eichel

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If ROR is such a sad, pathetic, weak minded loser, that a cartoon in the local paper triggers him, then I hope the reporter gets up and beats him with a stick. 

Sounds more like the cartoon triggered some fans. I guess ROR ranks right up there with Allah when it comes to taking offense to cartoon images. 

46 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I remember that godawful cartoonist in the Buffalo News doing one of ROR talking about losing his love for the game while putting his hand in a fans pocket and stealing his money. If ROR had walked into their office, found the guy and pounded his face into hamburger I would've had no problem with it. 

How I hate Zyglis and TBN.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

Radio silence all year while jack, as their best player, guided them to 1st overall in the west and you folks crawl outa the woodwork after 1 playoff game lol 

rent free. and, it’s winnipeg. They’ll blow this 

Radio Silence?

I'm not sure where you were, but there hasn't been radio silence all year long as you said here. There has been a LOT of discussion about Eichel on here. About how he is 68th in the league in points per game since the trade.  About how since he has been there, Vegas has a MUCH worse point percentage/winning percentage in the year and a half he has been there than they did in the year and a half before he got there.  About how the Sabres have been much better since he left than they were when he was playing here, and that the piece the sabres got in return has been much more productive here than Eichel has been in Vegas.

Hes a good player.  I'm not saying that he isn't. But your above comment is just not true.  He did not "Guide" a team to the playoffs when in the year or two before he was there they were a better team than they have been since he got there.  And no one crawled out of the woodwark just now after one playoff game. 

And the Rent free comment?  lol, That is one of the most over-used things to say when you don't have much else to go at someone with. Discussing how players that USED to be on your team is part of being a fan.  Teams make moves and evaluating how well a player/team is doing after the move vs what the other team/player(s) are doing is part of the evaluation process fans go though. The fact that it can be fun is just an added bonus for some.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If ROR is such a sad, pathetic, weak minded loser, that a cartoon in the local paper triggers him, then I hope the reporter gets up and beats him with a stick. 

He won a cup and conn smythe within 5 months of that and the local paper's team still hasn't sniffed the playoffs 5 years later

But yes let's emotionally sling some more insults in his direction I'm sure they'll cut deep

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

What don’t some around here understand about the time honored tradition of “the villain” in sports? Eichel crapped all over the team that selected him and made him generationally wealthy as well as the fans that supported him. He’s the perfect villain in Buffalo and the vast majority of fans in the area feel the same way. Of course those that feel that way aren’t gonna give him any credit for his team’s success; it’s the nature of his villainy. How anyone can be surprised or offended by that is beyond me. 

He’s also a great player. 

And screw him, anyway. 

I don't even think he's great. And I like having enemy franchises. It's fun to root against Tampa and to laugh at their misfortune. That's not really what I see with the topics I bring up though, I see something boorish, imprecise, and a little pathetic 

• dislike 1

43 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Sounds more like the cartoon triggered some fans. I guess ROR ranks right up there with Allah when it comes to taking offense to cartoon images. 

Not triggered: years of following a guy's every move, laughing at every misstep and mistake, ignoring the positive moments, sometimes acting like a spurned toddler 

Triggered: noticing this and pointing it out 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JujuFish said:

Do you all find it easier or harder to watch the playoffs when the Sabres are so close to being an actual playoff team?  Hot damn, I can't wait for next year.

Harder.  Used to never be able to watch the round after the Sabres were eliminated.  Just too painful thinking what might have been.  The last few years, could watch pretty much the whole tournament.  Am following what's happening, but just don't have the heart to watch just yet.

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Harder.  Used to never be able to watch the round after the Sabres were eliminated.  Just too painful thinking what might have been.  The last few years, could watch pretty much the whole tournament.  Am following what's happening, but just don't have the heart to watch just yet.

I'm leaning that way as well.  And imagining the (admittedly incredibly unlikely) possibility of upsetting the Bruins doesn't help.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Radio Silence?

I'm not sure where you were, but there hasn't been radio silence all year long as you said here. There has been a LOT of discussion about Eichel on here. About how he is 68th in the league in points per game since the trade.  About how since he has been there, Vegas has a MUCH worse point percentage/winning percentage in the year and a half he has been there than they did in the year and a half before he got there.  About how the Sabres have been much better since he left than they were when he was playing here, and that the piece the sabres got in return has been much more productive here than Eichel has been in Vegas.

Hes a good player.  I'm not saying that he isn't. But your above comment is just not true.  He did not "Guide" a team to the playoffs when in the year or two before he was there they were a better team than they have been since he got there.  And no one crawled out of the woodwark just now after one playoff game. 

And the Rent free comment?  lol, That is one of the most over-used things to say when you don't have much else to go at someone with. Discussing how players that USED to be on your team is part of being a fan.  Teams make moves and evaluating how well a player/team is doing after the move vs what the other team/player(s) are doing is part of the evaluation process fans go though. The fact that it can be fun is just an added bonus for some.

I find the rent free commentary ironic as it’s always directed at people busting Eichel’s balls by those who just can’t tolerate that ball busting. If anyone is living rent free in someone’s head, it’s the Eichel ball busters in the heads of those who feel compelled to defend him at every turn. When they catch wind of the smallest busting of Johnny’s chops, they come a runnin’. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

This is honestly refreshing. It's OK for fans to feel this way in a year that should have been (™).

• Thanks (+1) 1

He won a cup and conn smythe within 5 months of that and the local paper's team still hasn't sniffed the playoffs 5 years later

But yes let's emotionally sling some more insults in his direction I'm sure they'll cut deep

I don't even think he's great. And I like having enemy franchises. It's fun to root against Tampa and to laugh at their misfortune. That's not really what I see with the topics I bring up though, I see something boorish, imprecise, and a little pathetic 

You clearly didn't follow what I was responding to so maybe take it down a level before you meltdown over a hypothetical. 

Not triggered: years of following a guy's every move, laughing at every misstep and mistake, ignoring the positive moments, sometimes acting like a spurned toddler 

Again, you didn't follow the conversation in this thread. Replace ROR name with any name on the planet, if you think you have right to beatup a news cartoonist you're a total clown show. My post is a reflection on the poster who said it and not ROR. Didn't think I had to spell that one out for you.

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

I remember that godawful cartoonist in the Buffalo News doing one of ROR talking about losing his love for the game while putting his hand in a fans pocket and stealing his money. If ROR had walked into their office, found the guy and pounded his face into hamburger I would've had no problem with it. 

Again this take is what I'm making fun of. The belief you have right to beat up someone over cartoon. ***** laughable and just shows a fragile child's ego to believe it. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Again, you didn't follow the conversation in this thread. Replace ROR name with any name on the planet, if you think you have right to beatup a news cartoonist you're a total clown show. My post is a reflection on the poster who said it and not ROR. Didn't think I had to spell that one out for you.

I don't think you've read enough Sabremike. He recently posted that anyone who crossed his defunct hockey team decades ago should burn for eternity! That's just how he posts lol

• Thanks (+1) 1

Yup definitely a bummer to miss the playoffs by one win 

Did not want to see Boston had we made it 

We would have matched up decently with Carolina. Had a nice win against them late in the season, plus we owe them for 06

How nice it could have been to knock them out in the first round

35 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think you've read enough Sabremike. He recently posted that anyone who crossed his defunct hockey team decades ago should burn for eternity! That's just how he posts lol

Minor clarification: I think the guy who murdered my Whalers should burn in Hell for all eternity. Sadly this will not happen as even Satan has standards so Karmanos will spend eternity in Gary, Indiana which is actually worse. John Rowland ended up in prison so karma got his ass.

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Again this take is what I'm making fun of. The belief you have right to beat up someone over cartoon. ***** laughable and just shows a fragile child's ego to believe it. 

giraffe GIF

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Radio Silence?

You are completely proving my point. A ham handed, one sided skew that takes so little context into the equation as to render your opinion truly meaningless. Rampant bias. I suppose I thought “radio silence” because I’ve been staying out of the jack discussions on here during the year, I only assumed since he was having such a good season, best player on the best team in the west (this is where so much bias comes in - you’ll do anything other than admit he’s been the best player on a very good team - that he WAS capable of being that all along. That we didn’t construct that scenario here is a Sabres problem, not a Jack problem), that we WOULD be getting radio silence as you folks have been objectively proven so definitively wrong. I suppose I underestimated your ability to fib to yourself 

The fact we had so many guys with POINTZ and they did not, yet they are in first, and we are not, shows how lacking your analysis is of what you need to construct both a winning team and successfully bind players to that formula 

You are totally blind if you haven’t noticed the fact that Vegas missing the playoffs last season was met with “coach killer, cancer”. Yet the knights solidly making it this year was met with “meh, just along for the ride.” It makes me disappointed for your posting quality  

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I used to be sad because of how vile the targeted comments around here got, directed towards JE. Now what makes me a little sad is the total lack of self awareness 

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Exactly 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

I find the rent free commentary ironic as it’s always directed at people busting Eichel’s balls by those who just can’t tolerate that ball busting. If anyone is living rent free in someone’s head, it’s the Eichel ball busters in the heads of those who feel compelled to defend him at every turn. When they catch wind of the smallest busting of Johnny’s chops, they come a runnin’. 

Ya, I had stopped doing this all year. I really thought it was over. That’s ok

im thinking I’m back 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You are completely proving my point. A ham handed, one sided skew that takes so little context into the equation as to render your opinion truly meaningless. Rampant bias. I suppose I thought “radio silence” because I’ve been staying out of the jack discussions on here during the year, I only assumed since he was having such a good season, best player on the best team in the west (this is where so much bias comes in - you’ll do anything other than admit he’s been the best player on a very good team - that he WAS capable of being that all along. That we didn’t construct that scenario here is a Sabres problem, not a Jack problem), that we WOULD be getting radio silence as you folks have been objectively proven so definitively wrong. I suppose I underestimated your ability to fib to yourself 

The fact we had so many guys with POINTZ and they did not, yet they are in first, and we are not, shows how lacking your analysis is of what you need to construct both a winning team and successfully bind players to that formula 

Some of us are just having fun. It’s OK not to have to stand up and defend your thesis to the room. It’s just a game. 🤷🏻  

I mean, you hate Winnipeg. Personally, I couldn’t come up with a single disparaging mark against that franchise simply because I never give them a second thought. It’s just sports.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.