The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Any appetite for a discussion on whether Dumba's hit was late? High?

To my surprise, I find myself sort of agnostic on the topic.  Sorta late. But not overly. Maybe kinda high. But not really. Violent, for sure.

The NHL got that one right. It was not late.

19 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I'd agree with you, except that's not what happened. He changed directions to put himself in that position. My biggest issue with this is that the league won't allow Dallas to return the favor. If they target Dumba or another Minnesota player in a similar manner it will go to a hearing. Stuff like this is the reason the instigator rule sucks and has always sucked. You want to play like that and take guys out? Fine, defend yourself. Instead what happens is this will happen and then Dumba will ride under league protection.

They retaliated a few minutes later and got a penalty in the game, they didn't do much when the actual hit happened which was pretty weak. If someone did that to Tage or Tuch we'd be swarming or at least I'd hope so.

Just now, K-9 said:

Having played so many playoff games the last few years, I’m wondering if Tampa wasn’t just bored this regular season. 

I don't necessarily think so. Their core is aging. They don't have the depth they've had in the past. I won't be at all surprised if they're out in round 2. But, the experience/confidence matched up against a self-fulfilling prophecy like the Leafs will make them look like world beaters.

* - for the record, I also wouldn't be surprised to see them back in the Cup Finals, either. Being that battle tested is an advantage.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

I don't necessarily think so. Their core is aging. They don't have the depth they've had in the past. I won't be at all surprised if they're out in round 2. But, the experience/confidence matched up against a self-fulfilling prophecy like the Leafs will make them look like world beaters.

* - for the record, I also wouldn't be surprised to see them back in the Cup Finals, either. Being that battle tested is an advantage.

I agree entirely. My post was more tongue and cheek. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.