Thank you Victor Olofsson

Misanthrope

On 4/14/2023 at 10:24 PM, Flashsabre said:

VO has one year left. If Adams retains 50% for one year he could probably get a lot of interest. $2 million for 28 goals who can be a weapon on the PP will interest some teams.

I don't see Adams doing it. He doesn't seem have much interest in 'trading' cap space. 

On 4/15/2023 at 2:04 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Okay, but if he's that good, why'd you want him gone? 

We shall see. 

I don't think he fits what we are trying to do any longer.  He needs to go to a team with a strong defensive system that needs him as a scoring option on the PP and 5 on 5.

• Like (+1) 1

I think he still even fits on the team, but the Sabres are pretty loaded with scoring forwards with more promising players on the way. No one will be mad if the Sabres turn VO (+?) into a 4D or even another 5/6D to push the borderline D down. As someone pointed out, there are 5(?) teams out there with no LW that scored more goals, and a few that didn't have either wing score that many. That has some value.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Eh, he turns 28 in July.  Not sure how much he’ll improve.  

Agree.

If he had some defensive ability he could slide down to the 4th line and provide a scoring threat but he is so weak that is not possible.

Mitts/Quinn/Peterka/Krebs/Savoie will be better options for PP2. Quinn is the only one with a comparable shot but they are all more creative and versatile than VO.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think he fits what we are trying to do any longer.  He needs to go to a team with a strong defensive system that needs him as a scoring option on the PP and 5 on 5.

Problem with that is teams with strong defensive systems usually don't like one dimensional players like him. Take a guy like Torts for example. Philly desperately needs scoring talent but how long do you think it would be before Torts has him in the doghouse for missing a check? I'd give it about 2 weeks of the season max. 

I see very few landing spaces, unless you are talking a low return deal that makes that team take the low risk high return gamble. 

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Problem with that is teams with strong defensive systems usually don't like one dimensional players like him. Take a guy like Torts for example. Philly desperately needs scoring talent but how long do you think it would be before Torts has him in the doghouse for missing a check? I'd give it about 2 weeks of the season max. 

I see very few landing spaces, unless you are talking a low return deal that makes that team take the low risk high return gamble. 

Torts is a complete ass though, a modern, non-dinosaur coach will be able to use him more effectively.

• Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Some think that, others don't. Just an example of a D system coach. Would be the same problem with Cassidy and others. I just don't see him being wanted by a D first team. 

You can be a D system coach and a decent human being. Torts does not appear to be the latter to his players or the media.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:23 AM, PerreaultForever said:

The desire to remove him is undoubtedly real. 

Why do people think other teams will want a guy we don't want? They have scouts and watch video too you know. 

Other teams WISH they were as deep as us offensively. They will come in droves for VO. 

Edited by RETURNTOGLORY
Spelling error

6 hours ago, MattPie said:

You can be a D system coach and a decent human being. Torts does not appear to be the latter to his players or the media.

but but but......................he rescues animals..................................

idk, Nick Foligno had nothing but praise for Torts and Nick is a leader and a stand up guy from a solid lineage. There are other examples of players who also liked Torts a lot. He is abrasive, he does not tolerate slack, but I think his persona to the media gives people the wrong idea about his coaching. 

I wonder how Risto feels these days? 

1 hour ago, Nitro60 said:

I hope enough to provide scoring from the fourth line and PP. 

I guess he can still be a trigger man on PP2 but he’s not what I see as a 4th liner. Usually high energy grinders fill those spots.

Being scratched for a few games probably foreshadowed his departure.

• Agree 2

Nashville, Vancouver, San Jose, Arizona, and St. Louis are all teams that could want a scoring winger for one year.  These teams could then flip him at the trade deadline and recoup picks. If he is on a young team without much talent, he could be in their top six and PP.  This would help his trade capital.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/17/2023 at 8:59 PM, Rasmus_ said:

After thinking about it, I think he could return something, and clear up a roster spot.  So in terms of what we can get, we'll see. 

I think getting VO out to make room for a mature prospect is the key here.  If we get a bag of pucks for him, I'm okay with that.  (He has more value than that but the point is, making his spot available to a Savoie or Kuluch is the real reason to trade him.)

18 hours ago, French Collection said:

I guess he can still be a trigger man on PP2 but he’s not what I see as a 4th liner. Usually high energy grinders fill those spots.

Being scratched for a few games probably foreshadowed his departure.

I get your point.  I have seen fourth lines with two grinders and a third skater who can score.  I do not see him on the third line.  His departure is probable.

I find it wild how many people undervalue VO, but I also get it watching him play when he's not scoring, it's maddening.

That doesn't negate that he's capable of putting up 30 goals and I'd love to see him traded for a non-sexy D-man, another muel type who can really lock things down.

With Kulich, Savoie, Östlund in the wings and the growth of Peterka and Quinn, we'll be able to make up those goals and if VO's replacement helps keep pucks out of our net then I think we'll see a positive goal differential. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I find it wild how many people undervalue VO, but I also get it watching him play when he's not scoring, it's maddening.

That doesn't negate that he's capable of putting up 30 goals and I'd love to see him traded for a non-sexy D-man, another muel type who can really lock things down.

With Kulich, Savoie, Östlund in the wings and the growth of Peterka and Quinn, we'll be able to make up those goals and if VO's replacement helps keep pucks out of our net then I think we'll see a positive goal differential. 

I think his goals can be replaced by committee.

Quinn will make the biggest jump next year and he will become a more important part of the PP going forward. My guess is 10-12 more from him.

JJP will get few more as well, I’m thinking 6-10 more.

Greenway had 6, surely he can get 5 more.

Mitts is primarily a playmaker but he can get 4-6 more.

Krebs can hit double digits.

There’s 25-30 goals just from internal growth.

58 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I think his goals can be replaced by committee.

Quinn will make the biggest jump next year and he will become a more important part of the PP going forward. My guess is 10-12 more from him.

JJP will get few more as well, I’m thinking 6-10 more.

Greenway had 6, surely he can get 5 more.

Mitts is primarily a playmaker but he can get 4-6 more.

Krebs can hit double digits.

There’s 25-30 goals just from internal growth.

Don't forget the 80 Kulich will no doubt bury.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.