GDT: Sabres @ Rangers - April 10, 2023, 7pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

Porous Five Hole

Just now, Contempt said:

It's not supposed to, people do it all the time, just not in the way that Power did.  Power himself was also really close to moving backwards at the same time which is a no-no.  For all those not listening who just want to jump on me, it was a great move. Keep doing it. Make the refs make the call.

You can pull a puck back to shoot, right? So a puck must be able to go backwards.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Actually, an Islanders OT loss could work.

It could.  But would rather see a regulation loss.  Because if somehow the Pens manage to choke these last 2, then an Aisles regulation loss gives the Sabres the ability to get in with only 92 points.  A point for the Aisles, with the Swamp Cats already being at 92 means the Sabres absolutely have to win all remaining 3 to have any chance.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

So wait: the PUCK cannot move backwards at all on a shootout attempt? I always figured the PLAYER cannot move backwards. 

Wouldn't just standard stick-handling repeatedly move the puck slightly backwards?

NHL Shootout Rules FAQs

Can the Puck Go Backwards in an NHL Shootout?

The designated shooter must keep the puck moving forward at all times until releasing it at the net. However, when stickhandling and trying to deke the goalie a player may move the puck sideways and backwards while in possession.

Can You Completely Stop in an NHL Shootout? 

If the puck or player comes to a complete halt in a shootout then the player’s attempt is disqualified. A shootout attempt is considered to be complete once the players shoots the puck or the puck passes across the goal line. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That was the best I can remember a goalie playing in the shoot out.  Kane, Panarin and Mika all foiled.

Mitts was excellent again.  Hands looked pretty good in the SO.

Nice of Toronto and Wash to help us out.  

It was ELITE. Panerin is maybe the best SO guy in the league and Levi froze him. He played Kane perfectly, so patient. Zibanejad and Kaako looked lost, too. Kaako got so crossed up that he didn't even get a shot off and tripped. ***** beautiful.

• Agree 2

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

You can pull a puck back to shoot, right? So a puck must be able to go backwards.

In the rulebook or in what they call? Rulebook no, real life yes. Even then Owen didn't really pull it back to shoot it.  He pulled it back and ended up shooting it, but the motion wasn't to load up, it was to deceive the goalie, which is what makes it borderline.  If he'd just pulled it back and shot it's fine all day long.

Also, that his body was very close to moving backwards also which is a no go.  When you watch his feet his stride to take him sideways was super close to taking him away from the net. Just using his skates as a guide, if that stride propels him away from the net it's supposed to be done, if that last foot on the ice is traveling away from the goal at all he's moving away from the net which is supposed to be a done deal.  The league has given players a TON of leeway on this and I haven't seen a guy do something exactly like this one before and that Owen is so tall and the movements end up being so much longer and that he was going slow made it all easier to see. I feel like that one is going to go on a ref case study video, that's all I'm saying. Until they start making the call it's all fair game though and good on him.

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The key appears to have been getting him on a line without VO. Before he filled in for Tage at center on the top line I would have said playing him at wing was another key, but he is proving me wrong about being able to be an effective centerman. 

Not only did he have Olofsson, but back when they were 2 parts of the team's second line (and that was the 2nd line until the Kid Line really got going and they swapped deployments just before Jost got waiver claimed), he was typically also teamed up with Asplund or Hinostroza (all 3 of which can't get into the lineup today), and they were the 2nd line which meant they also got the 3rd D pairing quite a bit.  Talk about being put into a pretty much no win situation.

21 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

If we win tomorrow we're alive until at least Thursday, the second last day of the regular season, as the Panthers and Isles don't play.

The Aisles end on Wednesday.  But even if they win their game, as you say should the Sabres win tomorrow they can't be eliminated until they get to game 81 because the Cats can't knock them out until Thursday at the earliest.

5 minutes ago, Contempt said:

In the rulebook or in what they call? Rulebook no, real life yes. Even then Owen didn't really pull it back to shoot it.  He pulled it back and ended up shooting it, but the motion wasn't to load up, it was to deceive the goalie, which is what makes it borderline.  If he'd just pulled it back and shot it's fine all day long.

Also, that his body was very close to moving backwards also which is a no go.  When you watch his feet his stride to take him sideways was super close to taking him away from the net. Just using his skates as a guide, if that stride propels him away from the net it's supposed to be done, if that last foot on the ice is traveling away from the goal at all he's moving away from the net which is supposed to be a done deal.  The league has given players a TON of leeway on this and I haven't seen a guy do something exactly like this one before and that Owen is so tall and the movements end up being so much longer and that he was going slow made it all easier to see. I feel like that one is going to go on a ref case study video, that's all I'm saying. Until they start making the call it's all fair game though and good on him.

3 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Yeah, they don't call it anyway. I'm sorry I brought it up at this point.

No, you are not.  You love bringing up anything to discredit.  That is just you.  You are Contempt.  

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

No they have 87 points and 3 games left which means they can get 6 points if they win all the games. 87+6=?

Yeah no, I don't know if I had some sort of aneurysm there for a sec. I was looking at ESPN's point standings and I swear it said 86. Probably just tired

what the hell, it had the panthers at 91 when I checked too an hour ago and now they're 92. what is wrong with me

Edited by lowsabre

12 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Nothing in the rulebook that says the shooter can't go backwards, only that the puck must continue toward the net.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.