GDT: Sabres @ Rangers - April 10, 2023, 7pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

Porous Five Hole

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

The puck has to continually move toward the goalline and Power, as he cut across, moved it backwards.  This happens often in tight as guys deke to shoot but his was pretty long and exaggerated and the puck definitely moved pretty distinctly the wrong way and with the way his feet were it was REALLY close as to whether Owen himself was moving away from the goalline as well. Like I said, I've never seen it called so push that limit all day long.

As long as I keep seeing needle ***** do their 1 mph, stop, start, pirouette, pass it to yourself through the legs triple deke bar down, I’ll be thrilled with our guys doing the same. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The key appears to have been getting him on a line without VO. Before he filled in for Tage at center on the top line I would have said playing him at wing was another key, but he is proving me wrong about being able to be an effective centerman. 

VO - where hockey careers end up dying a slow death due to having to carry a dead weight on your back.

21 minutes ago, lowsabre said:

isn't the max we can get 92

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well technically Islanders don't need to lose, tied at 93 we got the edge over them.   panthers need to loose to canes.

No.  Sabres can't get the tiebreak over the Otters nor the Swamp Cats.  It's unlikely they get the tiebreak now over the Pens either, but it is still an outside possibility.

29 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I'm here. It's a good win against a reasonably good team that we match-up well against.  Levi was the difference overall IMO.

The Rangers are 14-4-4 since the end of February. They're one of the hottest teams in the league recently, playing with one of the top goalies in the league, at home, without resting anybody for the playoffs. If they were in the Western Conference they'd be one of the favorites to get to the Cup --- and they won't be a surprise to make it to the ECF with Shesterkin (and Carolina missing Svechnikov and the Devils being new to the playoffs and unknown how they'll respond).

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, inkman said:

As long as I keep seeing needle ***** do their 1 mph, stop, start, pirouette, pass it to yourself through the legs triple deke bar down, I’ll be thrilled with our guys doing the same. 

Make them make the call. It's would have taken MASSIVE cojones to wave that off in that situation.  What I don't know is if Tronna is able to get involved.

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

The Rangers are 14-4-4 since the end of February. They're one of the hottest teams in the league recently, playing with one of the top goalies in the league, at home, without resting anybody for the playoffs. If they were in the Western Conference they'd be one of the favorites to get to the Cup --- and they won't be a surprise to make it to the ECF with Shesterkin (and Carolina missing Svechnikov and the Devils being new to the playoffs and unknown how they'll respond).

Yes, all of that is accurate. They have many points. In the games I've watched them I haven't found them to be that impressive I think they'll get knocked out early and yes, Shesterkin is great.

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

So wait: the PUCK cannot move backwards at all on a shootout attempt? I always figured the PLAYER cannot move backwards. 

Wouldn't just standard stick-handling repeatedly move the puck slightly backwards?

I am not a rules buff but I always thought it was the player's momentum that is key, you can stickhandle backwards if you aren't also moving backwards

• Agree 3

24 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I say a little prayer for you...

Sabres will need at least 5 out of 6 points to get in even if the Isles and Pens both lose out. They lose all tie breakers so the only way they get in is to have at least 1 more point.

Not necessarily with the Pens.  They can tie the Pens in RW and ROW and would have the 3rd tie breaker W's over them.  It is unlikely that happens as the Pens now need to be winning at least 1 in a SO, but it is possible.  

They cannot get the tiebreaker over either of the other two.

10 minutes ago, The Power said:

If the Sabres win out they will have the tie breaker against PIT if the Pens finish with 93 points. They'd both finish with 32 RW wins, and the Sabs would take it on total wins. 

As long as the sabre games are regulation wins not OT wins.

• Like (+1) 1

Forgot to mention that Greenway has another good game.

Couple big hits. Almost scored, very responsible defensively. Since coming back from being out a few games he has really started to look like his old self. Donny’s track record is very good at getting his players to take a step and I fully expect Greenway to do so next season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I am not a rules buff but I always thought it was the player's momentum that is key, you can stickhandle backwards if you aren't also moving backwards

Same. Seems almost ludicrous to say the puck can't move backwards. But then again, I'm only using common sense. The NHL isn't always known for the same.

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

So wait: the PUCK cannot move backwards at all on a shootout attempt? I always figured the PLAYER cannot move backwards. 

Wouldn't just standard stick-handling repeatedly move the puck slightly backwards?

It's not supposed to, people do it all the time, just not in the way that Power did.  Power himself was also really close to moving backwards at the same time which is a no-no.  For all those not listening who just want to jump on me, it was a great move. Keep doing it. Make the refs make the call.

• dislike 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That was the best I can remember a goalie playing in the shoot out.  Kane, Panarin and Mika all foiled.

Mitts was excellent again.  Hands looked pretty good in the SO.

Nice of Toronto and Wash to help us out.  

Clearly you are misremembering Robin “Hammered” Lehner’s shootout prowess. 

• Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.