GDT: Edmonton Oilers @ Buffalo Sabres 3/6/2023 at 7:30PM EST on ESPN+

OverPowerYou

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

His fancy stats are really bad. Hinnostroza is the only Sabre with a worse xgf%, HDCF% only has Krebs and Hinnestroza as worse. HDGF% is the worst on the team. He's got to go. 

That's more like it.

Btw, my eye test is in-line with what those data say. I remember in the early ... 2021-2022 season (?) there were reports that he was moving away from being a one-trick-pony (great shot) into a more complete player ... but then he had a core injury (?) that derailed his progress. I also think there was a stretch this season when he was showing a more rounded game. But, of late, I'm just not seeing much from him.

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's more like it.

Btw, my eye test is in-line with what those data say. I remember in the early ... 2021-2022 season (?) there were reports that he was moving away from being a one-trick-pony (great shot) into a more complete player ... but then he had a core injury (?) that derailed his progress. I also think there was a stretch this season when he was showing a more rounded game. But, of late, I'm just not seeing much from him.

I honestly wish he'd forget about "rounding out his game" and focus on honing his gadget ability to hammer the puck in the net. I can't even remember the last time he's had a PP one-timer.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I honestly wish he'd forget about "rounding out his game" and focus on honing his gadget ability to hammer the puck in the net. I can't even remember the last time he's had a PP one-timer.

He's gotten okay looks opposite Tage on the PP. How do we all feel about that experiment with VO on the top unit?

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

I think I gotta pay the $7 for one month of the ***** ESPN+ garbage stream to listen to Bucci and Callahan. No way I'm gonna miss Jordan's debut. He's either gonna score, check someone into the 8th row, or just beat the living piss out of someone. Might be worth the few bucks.

He's gonna go all Tanner Jeannot on some poor unsuspecting Euler.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not sure if or where Greenway will play but I'd like to see him up with Cozens for at least a look. 

He's taking Jost's spot on the fourth line; Jost is a bit banged up.

I concur though.... think about what a heavy line Mitts-Cozens-Greenway would be to play against?  I wanna see some of that in the playoffs.

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's a stretch to call a guy with -19, worst on the team not good because he has 23 goals? That means at best he's been on the ice for 4 more goals than he's given up. I might nat stat trick later to see the actual split. He's got a good shot, and that's it. 

Remember that PP goals don't count toward +/-

13 minutes ago, Stads said:

He's gotten okay looks opposite Tage on the PP. How do we all feel about that experiment with VO on the top unit?

This kid still sees that the same way as when Granato started going to it.  View it as a gimmick like having a huge defenseman play low in front of the goalie to try to create a screen.   It works occasionally, but mainly when other teams aren't expecting the formation and don't have a plan on how to neutralize it.  If the otehr team expects it, it's really ineffective because 2 of the 5 skaters (40%) are essentially stationary looking to get the pass to convert into a 1 timer.

Much better to be keeping your skaters and the puck in motion getting the defenders out of position.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It opened up Tage's ridiculous slapper.

No, it hasn't.  Tage has 1 PP goal in his last 5 games and 2 in the last 8.  They still stand around too much and try to force the one timers.  

A MUCH better strategy would be to keep the unit's skaters moving and passing the puck and actually shooting from places that weren't set up for 1 timers.  They don't do that with Olofsson on that unit.  And the 2nd unit generates better chances because they actually move and move the puck.

That top PP unit has been ineffective for a very long time and it will continue to be ineffective as long as they are so dependent upon getting a 1 timer to actually seal the deal.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Look at the power play.  Tage and VO move around quite a bit, probably both more than the bumper/slot guys.

Do you actually watch the PP?  Because what you are describing only happens at zone entry and immediately off won faceoffs.  Once they get to their spots, they don't move hardly at all.

• Agree 1

Just now, Taro T said:

No, it hasn't.  Tage has 1 PP goal in his last 5 games and 2 in the last 8.  They still stand around too much and try to force the one timers.  

A MUCH better strategy would be to keep the unit's skaters moving and passing the puck and actually shooting from places that weren't set up for 1 timers.  They don't do that with Olofsson on that unit.  And the 2nd unit generates better chances because they actually move and move the puck.

That top PP unit has been ineffective for a very long time and it will continue to be ineffective as long as they are so dependent upon getting a 1 timer to actually seal the deal.

Can’t wait until a confident Quinn graduates to a top unit.

That kid can pass and shoot, and is dangerous from so many areas.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can’t wait until a confident Quinn graduates to a top unit.

That kid can pass and shoot, and is dangerous from so many areas.

As long as he doesn't automatically defer to Thompson he will defintely help.  But Cozens should be a lot better on that unit as his shot has come along very nicely this season.  But he unflaggingly defers to Thompson.  Totally get why they want to USUALLY get the puck to Tage; can't understand why they ALWAYS move the puck to Tage rather than shooting themselves.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As long as he doesn't automatically defer to Thompson he will defintely help.  But Cozens should be a lot better on that unit as his shot has come along very nicely this season.  But he unflaggingly defers to Thompson.  Totally get why they want to USUALLY get the puck to Tage; can't understand why they ALWAYS move the puck to Tage rather than shooting themselves.

Don’t disagree.

The thing with Quinn is that I think he will be able move himself and the puck around in a way the top unit current lacks.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don’t disagree.

The thing with Quinn is that I think he will be able move himself and the puck around in a way the top unit current lacks.

Yes, he'll be able to do that.  The rub is, will the coaches actually let him or will they force the current play with different bodies but the same results.

They need to figure out how to get Bob Wood back.  He's the last coach they've had that knew how to run a power play.  With that shot Thompson has and the rest of the talent on that unit, it should be one of the top 3 in the league.

3 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

I think I gotta pay the $7 for one month of the ***** ESPN+ garbage stream to listen to Bucci and Callahan. No way I'm gonna miss Jordan's debut. He's either gonna score, check someone into the 8th row, or just beat the living piss out of someone. Might be worth the few bucks.

Going out to watch the game and eat wings at a local watering hole for my dads bday.  I’d like to thank the NHL for making it near impossible to watch their product. The owner of the bar said he’ll stream the game on his phone and project it to the TV.  Maybe.  JFC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes, he'll be able to do that.  The rub is, will the coaches actually let him or will they force the current play with different bodies but the same results.

They need to figure out how to get Bob Wood back.  He's the last coach they've had that knew how to run a power play.  With that shot Thompson has and the rest of the talent on that unit, it should be one of the top 3 in the league.

It's top 5 now.  Not far off.  

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

It's top 5 now.  Not far off.  

That's down from 2nd in the league and it's been pretty poor since the calendar flipped.

If the 2nd unit weren't chipping in here and there in limited minutes it probably would barely still be top 10.  Even though it was clicking like crazy a couple of months ago.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

Going out to watch the game and eat wings at a local watering hole for my dads bday.  I’d like to thank the NHL for making it near impossible to watch their product. The owner of the bar said he’ll stream the game on his phone and project it to the TV.  Maybe.  JFC. 

Well, have a great time with your dad, regardless.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

It's just so dumb.  Sorry, @Doohickie, I know you don't like it when I criticize the NHL's broadcasting "system."  But it's just so dumb.

Have a fun dad birthday, ink.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.