GDT: Edmonton Oilers @ Buffalo Sabres 3/6/2023 at 7:30PM EST on ESPN+

OverPowerYou

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Thank you for contributing something.

You're not going to get me today. I had my farina and I'm all cozy in a rocker recliner watching the snow fall off the branches against a brilliant blue sky. I got a lap full of Werthers, cream soda on the table and Angela Lansbury to pound my pud to.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Had the Sabres managed to tie it late and pull out the win in OT, we'd be discussing about how our depth is (almost) adequate.

I wouldn’t be saying that because I think our depth stinks.   I would be saying that Anderson held us in the game until our scorers finally solved Stu Skinner. 

We had two good lines last night.  With Jost out and Greenway learning our bottom 6 was not very effective at all.  

Bryson and Clague are not NHL defenseman on a good team and they should both be gone next year.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You're not going to get me today. I had my farina and I'm all cozy in a rocker recliner watching the snow fall off the branches against a brilliant blue sky. I got a lap full of Werthers, cream soda on the table and Angela Lansbury to pound my pud to.

Beauty And The Beast Disney GIF
are you the little tea cup?  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Two or less said:

I would say the difference was Stuart Skinner. He stole the points tonight. I think Sabres played well enough to still win this game despite McDavid's two goals.

That’s not what stealing a game looks like 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I would say the Sabres had just as many Grade A chances as the Oilers.  The difference really was that on the bang-bang plays, too many of them hit Skinner; some of them were too fast for him to react.  It would be expected that one or two of those opportunities that didn't go in, should have.  Cozens and Mitts were both smoking the  puck at him.  They left expected goals on the table.

“The difference was that on the bang bang plays, ours *HIT* Skinner” 

You mean, their All star was better at “missing” the goalie with his shots? Haha. You are just describing aptitude and confusing it for something it’s not because you are sitting at a conclusion you are determined to reach regardless of what the data says. You would never just admit their top guys played better 

no logic in it. I think some miss the fact that: situations where a perceived “unlucky” result happened don’t mean no other result could have ever been achieved, that randomness just decided to take over. Does McDavid miss the “unlucky” skinner miss where he threw it threw the crease on open net? Deflect a puck in to the same spot that Cozens does, allowing for the “lucky” scenario to arise? Of course not, skill can still supersede it.

a great shot can lead to a goal where a good shot leads to an “unlucky” close miss - that’s truly the rub 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Probably merely a philosophical or academic question... Why in the world was Anderson back in goal with five point something seconds left after the Oilers ENG was waved off. I find it odd.

Cuz I like 3-2 better than 4-2.

I really do.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Not gonna read the whole thread but did anyone mention or notice Dahlin lumbering a bit out there.  Looked uncomfortable and awkward.  I thought it affected him on more than one OC occasion.  

Also not reading the whole thread.. I did notice it.  I think the cross-checks have bothered his back a bit.

It's clear from the last page what the entire thread is about.  McDavid is who you think he is.  The speed he moved the puck for the first goal is only something he can do and i firmly believe that. I don't think ANY other player moves that fast.  The shot on the second goal is a goal scorer's goal. Many goalies will be beat by that. The third goal was all on the defensive zone coverage.  They had other lapses as well, including the goal that was waived off.

They played well. Cozens might have looked the best he has ever looked. They did not beat the Skinner and did not hold off the best player in the world. They lost.

They've played far worse than they did last night, so I can't get down on them. It sucks.. they needed a win.  They also needed to not have that losing streak earlier in the year.  Those losses then are just as bad as the losses now.

Suck it up and get ready for the game tonight because this is everything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is to say: 

- Anderson generally only allows goals ~ 11% of the time on shots like that, but McDavid while outpacing the league itself betters Anderson’s average by scoring on 17.5% of them. A whole bunch of luck balled up for McDavid elevating this number well above average on the year or does he just.. be Connor McDavid sometimes? Answer is obvious to anyone watching

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

Not gonna read the whole thread but did anyone mention or notice Dahlin lumbering a bit out there.  Looked uncomfortable and awkward.  I thought it affected him on more than one OC occasion.  

Looked fine to me overall tbh. Not his best game, admittedly, but he seemed to come on late imo 

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

All righty then. Still. I've been paranoid about national announcers going back to Gary Thorne. I bet @SwampD could analyze the audio of these calls and help me prove there was more oomph for the Oilers. I can't figure out why. McJesus?

He was only amped up to eleven on both McDavid goals.

I can’t stand Bob Wischusen. I’m not a fan of any of those announcers that have that pointy, throaty sound, but he’s even worse because when he gets excited, he sounds like Gonzo the Great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.